Help, vomiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ectotherm1

I've tried to post this three times now, and cant.

Anyways.
New beardie arrived today, was shipped to me.
Got her into the enclosure, basking temp 110F, it's a hot day today so my ambient temps are a bit high.
Fed her mealworms, she ate 5. I put 4 crickets in for her as well.
Now a few hours later, I go to my room to find she has vomited the mealworms.
I misted her down because I know vomiting had probably dehydrated her.(I also misted her when I first put her into the enclosure.

Will she be ok? Is she just vomiting from stress? I dont have a background on the tank, Im putting one on tomorrow.
Please tell me she'll be ok!!!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I don't know what caused the vomiting, but I can tell you that mealworms aren't very good for beardies. They have a hard chitin shell which is difficult to digest and they have almost 0 nutritional value. They could have made your beardie throw up. Also, baths are probably better than misting for hydrating beardies. If you do mist, do it outside of the tank or the humidity can get too high and cause respiratory infections. Oh, where are my manners? Congratulations on your new beardie! We love pics around here. If you want anyone to go over your setup, let us know.
Sara

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
:| And here I was, thinking mealworms where good for her.
She ate them like candy, off the end of tongs too. Now I feel bad. :(

She hasnt tried to go after the crickets, but I'll leave them in until I turn out the lights tonight.
I turned off the basking light because my room is 95F and the basking light is making the ambient temps of the viv rise, and I dont want her to overheat with no place too cool off.

I would have soaked her in the tub but she was pretty stressed looking, very pale, when I took her out of the box/bag she was shipped in.
I didn't want to stress her out more.
Would it be a good idea to soak her in some tepid water?

Since I cant post pics (None on this computer, and lost my stupid data transfer software for the cam :roll: )
Set-up:
3'x18''x16'' exo-terra critter cage, top partially covered with tin foil.
18'' Repti-Sun 5.0 (I'm switching to a 10.0, dont worry!)
100W basking light
slate piece elevated under basking light to keep temps at 100-110F
Tile substrate
Water dish just big enough for her to get into with a little bit of her tail sticking out.

I think what did is stress from shipping/new home combined with mealworms, and the super high temps today. Like I said, it's 95F in my room where the cage is, and with the basking light on + high room temps I can imagine the cage is quite uncomfortable. Which is why I turned the basking light off.

Forgot to add, she also has a bowl of mixed greens.
Todays salad: Green bell pepper, okra, bok choi, snap peas.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
We've all gotten bad advice at some point or another, so don't feel bad about the mealworms.
I use a 75 watt in my girl's viv b/c my room stays in the 80s usually. You may want to get a 25-50 watt household bulb and try that to get basking temps up to abou 105. I don't know that there's anything you can do to keep the ambient temps down. I keep a fan on in my room and that cools it off a degree or two, but not much. Most of us on here don't leave crix in the tank because they can actually stress out some beardies. If the beardie is asleep or cannot get a cricket off, they have left nasty wounds on beardies before. I take any uneaten crickets out of the tank as soon as my little one's done eating. Your beardie may not eat a ton for the first week or two because of relocation stress. Let me know how your beardie does tomorrow.
Sara

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
It's just unusually hot today, this whole week actually. It's been warm this summer but not this hot.
Tomorrow it will be 95, friday the news says it will cool down to 77.
Most of the time my room is in the 50's to 60's.
I live in The Pacific Northwest, so it will cool down a good deal in the winter.
I have two fans in my room, one large one near my bed and a small one right next to the beardies viv to keep the air circulated. I don't have A/C so I guess I'll just have to watch the temps real close this week.

I know about taking the crickets out at night, and I'll take them out tonight before lights out. (second thought, I'll take them out in an hour or two, and clean up the tank a little)
I'm just really afraid because off the heat combined with the vomiting...

I'll try feeding her crickets tomorrow, hopefully she takes some.
:cry:

Also, slurpee, what morph is your beardie, it looks JUST like mine.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Since you can't get her cool side temps down, you may want to bathe her daily just to keep her hydrated. You may need to keep several different wattages of bulbs and switch them out as needed. Even with air conditioning, my temperatures do very odd things sometime. As for Lilly, the information I got was that her mom is normal and her dad is red/orange/ gold/ sandfire/ hypoorange/ gg.
Sara

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
You don't think bathing her during the aclimation process will stress her out?
I've only touched her twice, once getting her out of the bag she came in, and the second time when I placed her next to the greens bowl.

Speaking of greens, I think she ate some today. I was getting crickets for my gecko and looked over to her cage and it looked like she had her head in the bowl and then chomped something.
I took 4-5 dusted crickets and put them in the salad bowl and I think thats what she was eating.

But I'll try and bathe her, I'm just worried about stressing her out.
I want her to start eating again, since I know vomiting caused her to loose some weight.

I have a 75W but its a spare red bulb for my leo geckos viv.
I'll be at the pet store today getting crickets so I'll get a 75W or 50W.
Yesterday even with having the basking light off the temp read 96F with the probe being on the piece of slate under the light.

My little girl is a Red Hypo x SandFire Blood. :)

Valex

Hatchling Member
You want to stay away from colored bulbs because 1. they disrupt sleeping patterns. 2. You need bright white light to protect their eyes from the UV rays. You really don't need to spend $5-10 on a "reptile basking bulb" regular flood lights work just as well for half the price. A 50w will probably still be too hot for right now if the temp is 95 at the coolest. What are you doing to obtain a cool side of the tank?

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
I know to stay away from the colored bulbs for beardies.
I'm not really doing anything to obtain a cool side. I just placed the heat lamp on one side of the enclosure, and before it was extremely hot outside the cool side would stay in the 70's.
I do have a bowl of water on that side that's big enough for her to get almost all the way into...

I let the little girl soak in the tub for a bit.
She didn't drink but did walk around a bit and while I was drying her off she walked around on my bed and jumped onto my pillow. It must have perked her up a bit. :lol:

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Glad to hear she did okay with the bath. Usually hydration takes priority over keeping them unstressed, especially since she doesn't have a cool side right now. Hope it cools off soon for both of you!
Sara

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
It's a lot windier today, so my room is cooler.
It's about 80F near the cage, and I switched to just a regular house bulb to keep the temps down.
She's still not going after crickets so hopefully she will soon. I'll bathe her again tomorrow and try crickets again.
Thanks for the replies/help everyone. :wink:

Valex

Hatchling Member
Maybe you could try feeding the crickets in a seperate area, Like a plastic bin or spare aquarium. Thats how i fed my 2 but one day Killian decided he didn't want to be fed out of his home. So that might be worth a try.

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
I tried that earlier today, she was clinging to my hand/arm and wouldnt get into the box and when she did, she just stared up at me the whole time and ignored the crickets. Was worth a shot, and worked for some of my geckos.

I got some larger crickets at the store today and put them in her enclosure, dropping them near here.
First one she saw she ate instantly. I put some more in and she chased after them and ate them.
I'm all smiles now! :D

Ectotherm1

Original Poster
Now I've found another thing to worry about.
My beardie seems to be squinting.
I dont know why, I have a Reptisun 5.0(switching to 10.0!!!) running length wise the viv.
__________O is what it looks like. Long part the 5.0 and the circle the basking light.
Placed in the middle of the enclosure.
Is she just closing her eyes to nap?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Sometimes mine will rest one eye and keep the other open to watch me. It's recommended that you have the lights like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom