Help! Very Aggressive Beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, Nomad is growing great, hardly looks like the same beardie, good job.

I agree with Michele that the darkness on his chest & belly could be because it is a little too cool on the basking area & he is trying to absorb as much heat as possible. Once you double check the temps in the basking area, you'll know better. They can darken up pretty quick so if he sees you looking at him, he may decide "hey, why am I in here, I want some attention" and darken hoping you'll get him out. He is feeling so good now and has had so much attention because of his better behavior, that he could be playing into it even more. They are smart cookies and I noticed in the picture that he was looking directly at you, I think he knows what he's doing. :mrgreen: If our female thinks she isn't getting enough time out of her tank, she will look straight at me & slowly head toward her cool side to lay behind her log and when she does that, he beard is a little gray, showing me that she isn't happy. As soon as I start to lift her out of the tank, her beard is a bright yellow color. Who's kidding who? You'll get to know Nomad better, it just takes a little time but as we discussed before, you just have to read THEIR sign language. :p

Oh, almost forgot to say that I thought it was very nice the way you helped out your neighbors, I'm sure it meant a lot to them. It must have been a very scary sight to wake up too. That's a shame about them losing their cat. :(

hollowed454

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yah he sure is. I can really tell how much bigger he's getting when I have him in my hands

I double checked the temps. It's late in the day now but his temps are at in-"80" and out-"98" the humidity is a little higher than nornal. it's at 51% but of course I did wash his rug today. it felt dry but never can be too sure. Might could also be contributed to the fact that it's a bit humid outside. lol yah I catch him giving me the glare all the time. they must be sneaky to be able to pull the little tricks yours does! I'm sure Nomad is probably doing the same things just as you said I haven't learning his sign language yet. Other than one. When he starts running along the side of his tank and jumps at the corners he's wanting food. Today though I did see one interesting thing. I was looking at him and all of a sudden he started moving his left leg in a slow forward motion. it was different for him to do. I remember reading (and correct me if I'm wrong) it's a sign of submission. which if that is what it is it's kind of odd for him to be doing it.

it was indeed a horrible thing to wake up too. I know it was a whole lot worse for them though. I'm just glad everyone was ok. I could have been on the news. I was talking to this girl and her boyfriend that me and my wife talk to frequently. Well mainly me my wife is quiet around new people. Anyways the news reporters came over and started talking to us about the fire. We told them then out came the camera. About that time me and Dustin stepped out and left her to sit there alone to talk to them They said what don't want to be on the news? I just looked at them and said. It's way too early for that lol

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
That log thing that Nomad is sitting on is on the cool side of the tank(not the basking side)if Im not mistaken.

I agree with you Diane,our beardies tell us alot by the silly things they do,and they know how to get what they want.We sure are beardie-whipped :whip: :lol:

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
We posted at the same time Jonathan :lol:
Yes,what Nomad did today is called "waving" and most of the time it is a sign of submission.

Lol,when Jojo was a baby she used to wave at her crickets :roll: :lol:

hollowed454

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
puppytoes72":d01ea said:
That log thing that Nomad is sitting on is on the cool side of the tank(not the basking side)if Im not mistaken.

I agree with you Diane,our beardies tell us alot by the silly things they do,and they know how to get what they want.We sure are beardie-whipped :whip: :lol:

yes it is on thee cool side of the tank. should I alternate it to where he can crawl on it on the basking side? Right now he just alternates. He goes and stands on his rock and then he goes and climbs his log

nomad1-2.jpg

nomad-5.jpg

these were taken one after the other just a few minutes ago. I guess he was venting in the first? Except normally his mouth seems like it's wider when he's doing that

hollowed454

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
puppytoes72":2ddf1 said:
We posted at the same time Jonathan :lol:
Yes,what Nomad did today is called "waving" and most of the time it is a sign of submission.

Lol,when Jojo was a baby she used to wave at her crickets :roll: :lol:

lol no idea why he would be submitting now. if that's what he was doing and not just saying "hey I'm here. I'm cute. you want to take me out"

lol Jojo sounds like she's silly!!

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
He is gaping (cooling off)in the first picture.So cute :D Is the rock the 98f temp?
Why is it so low today? Its usually around 105-110 right?
Maybe because the rug is still damp?

You can move the log closer to the basking side if you want,he might like that better.Its up to you though,as long as he is moving back and forth there is no need to worry.

How is he pooping these days?

hollowed454

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
puppytoes72":b2d18 said:
He is gaping (cooling off)in the first picture.So cute :D Is the rock the 98f temp?
Why is it so low today? Its usually around 105-110 right?
Maybe because the rug is still damp?

You can move the log closer to the basking side if you want,he might like that better.Its up to you though,as long as he is moving back and forth there is no need to worry.

How is he pooping these days?

Normally it is. It was earlier in the day as well but I figure it's probably pretty natural since it's cool outside as well. it's late in the day. little after 8pm here. I thought about taking the rug out and letting it dry some more but I haven't got a way to dry it now with the sun not out and my wife hair dryer is busted.

I'll probably move the log over just a tad. it won't have to move a whole lot. it's pretty long. Just have to find a way to position it to where he won't be getting right under the light.

he's pooping pretty normally. I have a big pile about every morning to clean up

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's cute the way he runs down the side of the tank & jumps at the corner when he wants to eat. Isn't that something how you saw him do the armwave again, isn't that the cutest thing? Was he looking at you when he did that? If so, he again was trying to get your attention. :p But if he wasn't then he may have seen his reflection in the glass & was being submissive to that other beardie. It's really funny to see how my female does it to the males and then she does a very slow, sensuous headbob. Once in a while if the males aren't paying attention to her, she will do the role reversal and stalk back & forth on the side of the tank, her beard turns quite dark and she does a very vigorous headbob just like the males do. The males just stare at her like "what's your problem lady?" It really is comical. Michele knows about this because she saw a video of her doing it once. :mrgreen:

So, you weren't too sure you wanted to be on the news? It's nice the reporters interviewed you.

In the 1st picture, it looks like Nomad is smiling at you. :D He is really looking good, very content. Looks like you might have to trim his toenails soon though, think you're up to that? You should start looking for a little larger tank shortly, the way he is growing. You could probably dry his carpeting in the clothes dryer for a few minutes, that should help if it's damp still.

The temp in our tanks cool off as the sun sets too. Perhaps you have a little sun shining through a window during the day.

Does he still sleep in the t-shirt at night? What did he think of the rice sock? Is he sleeping better than he was a few nights ago?

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
The video Diane is talking about was VERY funny :lol: Its so fun to watch beardie behavior :D

Im glad Nomad is pooping evry day,that is a great sign that his temps are good and he is digesting his food properly :D
I had to laugh at your statement about your wife's blow dryer :lol: How would she feel about you using it to dry Nomad's rug if it wasnt broken? :mrgreen: :D I wont tell though :wink:

hollowed454

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":6ed03 said:
That's cute the way he runs down the side of the tank & jumps at the corner when he wants to eat. Isn't that something how you saw him do the armwave again, isn't that the cutest thing? Was he looking at you when he did that? If so, he again was trying to get your attention. :p But if he wasn't then he may have seen his reflection in the glass & was being submissive to that other beardie. It's really funny to see how my female does it to the males and then she does a very slow, sensuous headbob. Once in a while if the males aren't paying attention to her, she will do the role reversal and stalk back & forth on the side of the tank, her beard turns quite dark and she does a very vigorous headbob just like the males do. The males just stare at her like "what's your problem lady?" It really is comical. Michele knows about this because she saw a video of her doing it once. :mrgreen:

So, you weren't too sure you wanted to be on the news? It's nice the reporters interviewed you.

In the 1st picture, it looks like Nomad is smiling at you. :D He is really looking good, very content. Looks like you might have to trim his toenails soon though, think you're up to that? You should start looking for a little larger tank shortly, the way he is growing. You could probably dry his carpeting in the clothes dryer for a few minutes, that should help if it's damp still.

The temp in our tanks cool off as the sun sets too. Perhaps you have a little sun shining through a window during the day.

Does he still sleep in the t-shirt at night? What did he think of the rice sock? Is he sleeping better than he was a few nights ago?

yah he was sitting on his rock giving me the glare when he did the arm wave. lol it was funny. It's pretty cool the way they interact. I think they really are a lot smarter than people give them credit for.

Nah I really don't like to be on TV. Lol plus it was still early and I was still in my night shorts and a tank top with crazy looking hair.

as calm as he is now I'm up to anything! how do you cut his nail? with just regular nail clippers or do they make some specifically for them? I'm sure he will probably go nuts when I do it

Oh there is. In my place we have a sliding glass door that goes out onto the balcony and he sits right next to it. Although it's tempting to move him because when it gets to be winter time he might catch the cold just as much as the sunshine

Nah he doesn't usually mess with the tshirt. I'll put it in there at night over the rice sock and wrap him up in it but he usually just stays there a few minutes and goes and lies down elsewhere. I usually turn his light off a few minutes before I go to bed. One thing I have noticed is that he does love his sleep! He sleeps at all hours of the day. To answer your other question though he does seem to be sleeping better. Once he finds his spot he seems to stay there all night

hollowed454

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
puppytoes72":4044e said:
The video Diane is talking about was VERY funny :lol: Its so fun to watch beardie behavior :D

Im glad Nomad is pooping evry day,that is a great sign that his temps are good and he is digesting his food properly :D
I had to laugh at your statement about your wife's blow dryer :lol: How would she feel about you using it to dry Nomad's rug if it wasnt broken? :mrgreen: :D I wont tell though :wink:

lol she really wouldn't be all that surprised. She would probably just look at me crazy and say "the things you do for them"

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Lol,your wife sounds very understanding :lol:
My husband always said..."What makes you happy makes me happy" 8)

To cut his nails you can use small nail clippers and just take the very tip off.Be careful not to go too low because their nails are like cats and dogs and can bleed ALOT if you cut the vein.
When you get a bigger enclosure you might want to use slate tiles (not the glazed kind)instead of carpet,this will help keep his nails trimmed down.Tiles are also cheaper and much easier to clean :D

You should start thinking about a vet checkup for Nomad so you can bring in a fecal sample for a parasite test.The vet can also clip his nails. Jojo had a manicure and pedicure just last month :lol:
To find a vet near you check
http://www.herpvetconnection.com

hollowed454

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
just to update real quick and let you all know I haven't forgotten about you. My posting is going to be less than normal. Me and my wife are having some major issues at the moment that I'm trying to figure out how to fix and when these problems happened because I was caught by complete surprise :cry:

Nomad is doing great! He's eating real healthy. His shed still hasn't come off but he's working on it. He's still turning the darker color and his temperature is normal. So I've been trying to get his log adjusted to where it will go into the basking area but it looks like I'll have to do some cutting on it so he doesn't get right under the light or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom