help! stressed beardie

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
My bearded dragon, Herman, is almost 6 months old. Today the weather was gorgeous for like the second time since we got him back at the end of October, so I decided to take him with me down the block to get my brother from his bus stop. I didn't really need a sweater because it's so nice out but I wore one and put Herman inside with just his little head poking out, and he was a bit wary and was pressing himself into me but he didn't seem too stressed out. Then once we got back to the house, I decided to put him down right by the door to see if he would walk (because last time we took him out a few days ago, he didn't want to walk so we just brought him back inside) and he didn't want to walk. Then my neighbor who I also walk back from the bus stop walked in front of him and spooked him. This is the first time I ever saw my precious Herman puff up his beard like that! His beard was never ever black in the time that we've had him, and his mouth was open so wide. I was afraid to pick him up because I was afraid he would bite me, so I kind of just dragged him gently with the leash. And it's a good thing he was wearing the leash, because then he tried to bolt into the backyard! Then i got him inside and that's when I attempted to pick him up, and his beard flattened and he calmed down a bit.

Now that he's back in his enclosure he ran straight for his hide as soon as the leash was off. His beard is still black and he still looks really spooked! Is there anything I can do to calm him down? I've read online that a warm bath can help but he absolutely hate his baths. I don't know how I can help him, I know it's not good for him to get stressed.

And also, did I wreck all the progress I made with the leash? I've been putting it on his every once and while since we bought the leash about a month or two ago, and today he actually cooperated with me when I was putting it on him today, when in the past he would poop all over me when I tried. Did I destroy all that progress?

Please advise!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He will be fine 🙂 everthing new for him and to him it just takes time. They most all get jumpy when introduced to new stuff but they are smart and adaptable and will figure out it's all ok. Just be patient with him.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
He will be fine 🙂 everthing new for him and to him it just takes time. They most all get jumpy when introduced to new stuff but they are smart and adaptable and will figure out it's all ok. Just be patient with him.
is there anything i can do to help calm him down now? or is it best to just leave him alone?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom