Help! Something is wrong with her tail!

Please help I don't know what happened to her tail. I only just noticed it now after I took her out of the bath but I can only assume that it happened before then. I didn't notice it yesterday and I definitely think I would have so it must've happened sometime between last night and this morning. She doesn't seem like she's in any pain, she doesn't care when I touch it and she's still acting like her normal alert self but it looks like it would hurt. I'm scared and I feel awful. Did I do something to hurt her? I have no idea what to do. She's about to go into shed and I'm terrified that more of her tail might come off with the shed skin.
She's 8 months old and I've had her since she was only a week old. She's never had any health problems before. I love her so much and I always try to give her the best, I don't think I could handle it if something bad happens to her. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.
20220629_123657.jpg
20220629_123652.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please help I don't know what happened to her tail. I only just noticed it now after I took her out of the bath but I can only assume that it happened before then. I didn't notice it yesterday and I definitely think I would have so it must've happened sometime between last night and this morning. She doesn't seem like she's in any pain, she doesn't care when I touch it and she's still acting like her normal alert self but it looks like it would hurt. I'm scared and I feel awful. Did I do something to hurt her? I have no idea what to do. She's about to go into shed and I'm terrified that more of her tail might come off with the shed skin.
She's 8 months old and I've had her since she was only a week old. She's never had any health problems before. I love her so much and I always try to give her the best, I don't think I could handle it if something bad happens to her. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 71476 View attachment 71478
Looks like maybe funky shed ---- lets have AHBD take a look
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is she housed with another ? A portion of her tail fell off so if it wasn't bitten off there must have been some infection that you couldn't see [ it happens ] You can use a 1 part Betadine to 10 part water solution to soak it in for 10 minutes every other day. You can do this by a soak or by just dangling her tail in a small jar or glass of the mixture. After it's dry apply Neosporin [ non pain reliever type ]

Maleficent27

Original Poster
Is she housed with another ? A portion of her tail fell off so if it wasn't bitten off there must have been some infection that you couldn't see [ it happens ] You can use a 1 part Betadine to 10 part water solution to soak it in for 10 minutes every other day. You can do this by a soak or by just dangling her tail in a small jar or glass of the mixture. After it's dry apply Neosporin [ non pain reliever type ]
Okay, my dad is taking me to the store to pick up the neosporin and betadine right now. She's not housed with anyone or anything else so it definitely wasn't bitten off. Thank you for the advice. I feel so bad like I let her down especially if it is an infection. I can't believe I missed it. She's my first reptile and my first pet that's just mine to take care of. I love her like she's my baby and I put so much effort into her care but it was clearly not enough. I'll just have to try harder. Thank you again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This could be easy to miss because the tail bands are contrasting colors so the darker band could have had a slight injury that didn't bleed or show outwardly. That's just a guess, but is most likely what happened. It wasn't neglect on your part and will probably be just fine, it sounds like you're a good owner and take very good care of her. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Things unfortunately happen, reptiles are sometimes tricky! The scales can get damaged in
a number of ways but it looks like you have everything under control. I think that she will be fine.
The betadine & neosporin should help out a lot!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom