HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kezzamc

Hi guys, i am new to this forum and also beardies, i have just become a mother to a George my (15 month old beardie apparently) darling, anyway when we bought him home from the pet shop, the first few days he was fine and running about, head bobbing and all the normal stuff. he was eating fine ect.... we went to a pet shop to get him some live food hoppers and locusts as we were told he was 15 months, we gave him the locusts (2) and he loved them, the next day we gave him another 2 of which he only ate 1 and the other he never bothered with so it remained in his viv for 24 hours then i disposed of it. since George had these locust he has not bothered with any greens or live food, he is just not interested. yesterday he was really lathargic and had no interest in anything at all, today he is a bit more alert but still not eating and has not passed any stool. being a new mom i am not to sure if this is correct behaviour or not ? my friend has 2 beardies and said that the locust that George had were too big. so i am now worried that i have caused a blockage. I gave him a bath today and massaged his stomach for him but still no poop. is there anything more that i can do or should do ?
Thanks
Worried mom

dreshany

Hatchling Member
Hi Kezzamc
Sounds like you are doing a good job. Just keep him hydrated, with the baths. You could give him a few baths a day until he starts eating better. Has he pooped yet? You could also try giving him a drop of olive oil, this could help move things through. Unsweetened applesauce sometimes works as well, and will also help with hydration. I would also advise keeping him on a soft foods diet until he passes a stool. Chicken or squash babyfood are good choices, or you could cook and much up some squash. Hope some of this helps and hope he poops soon :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How big is George? He is 15 months? He should be able to eat & pass a large locust/hopper I would figure.
Maybe increase his oral fluids too, along with the baths & belly massage. Using the soft foods as suggested & olive oil (a couple of drops) can help as well.
What type of UVB lights do you use? Is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light? What type of basking light do you use, a colored light or a bright white light?
What type of thermometer are you using? What are the temps?
What type of substrate do you use, sand, tiles, newspaper?
What type of greens are you using?

Tracie

kezzamc

Original Poster
Hi,
George is about 12 inches in length head to tail tip.
I was told by the pet shop that he is 15 months old. but dont think he is as my friends beardie is 8 months old and the same size as george.
The tube is flourescent.
The basking light is a bright white one.
The temps are :-under the light 95 deg and at the cooler end of the viv 82. Just have round stick on thermometers.
Substrate that i am using is called chipsi which is mais.-this is what the pet shop gave me for him.
George has carrot, rocket, spinach, sprouts(have only tried them today but he has not eaten any),broccoli (again same as the sprouts only tried them today but he hasn't touched them) and that is it so far.. Is this wrong?
Pants being a new mum and not having half a clue of what i am doing and so many people saying various different things which is why i joined this forum as you all seem to know what you are talking about. and i really appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks
Kerry

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kerry,

Well, his size could have been determined by previous care & lack of UVB or nutrition or both.
The flourescent tube UVB, which brand is it? How close is it to him? Is the basking light directly beside the UVB light too?
The thermometers that you are using the stick on type, is not very accurate, unfortunately. You will need to get either a digital probe or a temp gun for better readings. The basking temps need to be 95-110 & the cooler end around 78-82.
Well, a large hopper could be borderline for him, size wise. However, if his temps are not warm enough he wont digest very well which can lead to impaction or just inability to pass through food.
The mais could cause impaction if he licks it or tries to eat it. Do you feed him in his tank?
Try going to http://www.beautifuldragons.com for a great feeding chart. Click on the nutritional link.
You are doing great, keep asking questions.
Are you offering calcium supplementation?

Tracie

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Welcome.
Spinach & broccoli have goitrgens(sp?) that bind calcium, so should be avoided. Collard greens & dandelion greens are best, plus mustard & turnip greens, endive, escarole, zucchini, summer, & butternut squash are good. Butternut needs to be peeled. It looks like a huge pale yellow pear.

I suggest your taking Vickie's & Tracie's advice as they are very knowledgable, & don't waste your time with other sites. Not to say some aren't OK, but we all know these 2 ladies know what they are talking about, so why chance that someone else on another site is just pretending they know.

Good luck
Patsy

kezzamc

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all your help. I got up this morning to find that george had done a poop (woohoo). i then showed him his hoppers and he got really excited and tried to eat them from outside of the carton (bless) he ate four small size hoppers and some greens, so i am really pleased and he is alot more lively today. i wont give him any more spinach or broccoli if it is not good for him. Thanks for the link it is really useful. Well i will definately be back with more questions in the future i dare say, as me and George will be learning about each other for a good long time to come i hope. Once again THANK YOU ALL XX.
Kerry

PS :- Tracie i will get some proper thermometers for George as soon as the pet shops are open on saturday.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kerry,

Great news to hear that George went to the bathroom! He must be feeling better if he was eating some hoppers & greens then. That is good to hear.
Definitely get a better thermometer, that will help out. Having the proper temperatures is extremely crucial to his health. It makes a night & day difference.
Not to say that he can never have broccoli or spinach ever, just not as a staple. Spinach can be mixed in with other greens on ocassion for something different & the same with the broccoli.

I am happy to hear he is doing so much better.

Tracie

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...congratulations on the poop!!
Instead of wasting your money on the pet shop thermometers, go to Walmart. They have the AccuRite brand of digital thermometer with the probe at the end of a wire for $12. In our store it is in the aisle where the ladders are in the back right side of the store. I have several of them.
Good luck
Patsy

Merry Christmas

kezzamc

Original Poster
Thanks Guys, I am In the UK so i will have to see what the pet shop offers or i will buy online. George has started to shed his skin so maybe that was attributing to his quiet behaviour ? but he is doing great, eating lots (greedy sod), and has come back to life so quick (its great). Just a quick question if i may - Do they normally go quiet and sleepy when they are about to shed ?
Kerry.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Yes, dragons often get moody, grouchy, go off their food, etc when they are shedding. Just make sure to soak for 20 minutes once or twice every day during the shedding.

I understand you can get the digital thermometers with a probe at the end of a wire at auto parts stores. Might be cheaper than a pet shop.

Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom