Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
My girl is a little over a year old and for the past month or two has been in and out of brumation- she'll sleep in her hide for a few days then come out and bask for a few days. Rinse, repeat. She hasn't had much of an appetite (except for super worms and the occasional dubia. She never turns down a squirmy bug) and even when she's up and basking she seems kinda lethargic. She went back in her hide this morning but she's been scratching/digging in the corners all day. I'm in the process of making her a dig box not only for enrichment but because she's of that age where she may start laying eggs. I havent felt any eggs in her when I've held her and felt her belly, but do you guys think it's possible, with the sleepiness, appetite changes and constant digging, that shes gravid?

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
108046-944153178.jpg
108046-4289382133.jpg
Shes in a 75 Gallon refurbished aquarium with mesh lid. We have a ZooMed 10.0 UVB T5 HO tube, a 75watt UVA basking bulb on the far left, and a ceramic heat emitter in the center. Her temps are typically 95 on the hot side, 75-80 on the cool, and about 107 on her hotspot at the top of the tree under the heat emitter. She's given collard greens, usually with some mixed veggies or dried mealworms on top daily, and calcium dusted superworms or dubias a few times a week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok the basking spot is probably too hot -- as they get older they dont like it that hot -- the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole screen like a dime ? the lighting is more than likely whats going on here - is the heat emitter on now? I would take that emitter and put it in the center of your tank towards the back and leave it off -- unless you need that going now your basking light should be the only thing on for getting temps -- the placement of the UVB is going to tell me where it needs to be once I know what kind of screen you have
Karrie

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1udk26xc said:
Ok the basking spot is probably too hot -- as they get older they dont like it that hot -- the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole screen like a dime ? the lighting is more than likely whats going on here - is the heat emitter on now? I would take that emitter and put it in the center of your tank towards the back and leave it off -- unless you need that going now your basking light should be the only thing on for getting temps -- the placement of the UVB is going to tell me where it needs to be once I know what kind of screen you have
Karrie
It's like, your pretty standard mesh lid... the heat emitter is mostly for night time as it gets quite cold in my apartment and we're heading into a midwest winter. I cant really move it because, as you can see in this picture, there's a plastic support bar that runs down the center and the heat emitter would melt it. I've been on this forum before asking about the lights and that's why my UVB tube is on top of the mesh instead of hanging inside the tank. Nothing in my setup has changed since then and it's only recently that she's been real lethargic, likely due to her brumation. If you really think having the heat emitter off or at least off during the day when her basking lamp is on would help though, I guess I could try it.
But then what explains her digging?
108046-1227748194.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If shes digging she might be gravid--- have you felt her belly for eggs? And the UVB is good where its at -- but they do like cooler temps for basking 95-110- is basking temps for a juvie/ adult dragon - does the piece of decor offer a gradient heat for her? A piece that would offer different temps for her to bask --
Karrie

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1a16lfwx said:
If shes digging she might be gravid--- have you felt her belly for eggs?
I have, and havent felt anything. Shes been brumating though, which means less eating, which means less calcium intake, and eggs need calcium to form the hard shell. So I dunno.

KarrieRee":1a16lfwx said:
does the piece of decor offer a gradient heat for her? A piece that would offer different temps for her to bask --
Karrie
Not really, but that's why I've got hammocks on each side as well as the tree in the middle. She really favors the tree and the hammock above her hide (the cool side) though. Which means maybe you're right about it being too hot? I could try getting rid of the heat emitter or moving it and only having it on at night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are your temps running at nite? If they are falling below 65 then use it -- if not they like cool and dark - leave it off till they are falling below 65
Karrie

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":ezwxlfxm said:
What are your temps running at nite? If they are falling below 65 then use it -- if not they like cool and dark - leave it off till they are falling below 65
Karrie
I'll check it tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom