Help please - yellow fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngNJay

Hi, I noticed this yellowing a few weeks back but I thought maybe it was from pooping, and that it would come off after a bath. Now it looks like it spread and it's on Nino's leg. In his beard area, it looks a little yellow also (very light). Today we bought tinactin spray. I gave him a bath and gently used a soft toothbrush to scrub him. After I dried him, I used the spray on him. For his beard area, I sprayed it on my finger and then rubbed it on. He has been pooping regularly (a little watery lately), and he eats about 15 crickets a day. He recently has started to eat dubias. It took a while of leaving them in a mealworm dish. He also eats waxworms pretty regularly, and has started to nibble on mustard greens. My hubby got him to drink water from his dish by tapping the water, and he's been going on his own. I really hope it's not this fungus I've been reading about. We can't really afford a vet trip right now. We have spent a great deal on him already but we definitely don't want to lose him. Here's a pic of what it looks like. Sorry I didn't get more but he wasn't in the mood to stay still. Please let us know what else we can do for him.

84187-9329955657.jpg

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I won't say anything about what I think it may be, but I will say that if is Yellow Fungus, the only chance at survival is medication a vet prescribes. I believe so far the best is Voriconazole, which is a once daily oral anti fungal usually given for 30-60 days. Iodine can also be used to clean infected areas twice daily and that can be continued even after the oral Voriconazole treatment has finished. A vet may also do an injection of Voriconazole. That is generally the treatment regimen I've seen and as far as I know, Voriconazole is the current method of treatment.

Any special baths or creams alone will almost certainly be useless as the roots of the fungus dig deep into the skin layers and often the outside of the skin is the last place it will show up, after it has already established a nice little colony. Even if organs are not affected, the oral anti-fungals are the best shot and most effective treatment. If you suspect Yellow Fungus or Yellow Skin Disease, a vet is really the only/best chance at survival.

Was he obtained from a breeder or a pet store? Pet store animals are more likely to come in contact with the fungus and go through more stress that allows the fungus to attack.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I certainly hope it isn't yellow fungus. It somewhat looks like it but, it is kind of hard to tell exactly.
It is possible that it could be retained/old shed that has not come off yet.
You could be proactive & get some lamisil cream to put on the affected areas, daily to see if that helps out. Sorry, I missed that you already got some tinactin spray, you can try that daily to see if that helps out any.
You could also get some probiotics such as non dairy soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz to help balance out the system.
As suggested, the only true way to determine whether or not it's of fungal nature, is to have the vet culture a skin scraping to send off to the lab. Voriconazole & Itraconazole are the two most commonly prescribed oral anti-fungal medications. It just depends on which strain is present as to which one is given.
It sounds like he is eating pretty well, too. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

AngNJay

Original Poster
Thank you both for your responses! We will look into finding a reptile vet in our area. Is yellow skin disease different from yellow fungus? I will do some research to as if I can learn more. I want to be as informed as possible.

We got him from a pet store. A week or so after we got him, he started shedding. So with fingers crossed, I hope that's what's wrong.

It's probably harder to tell from the picture if it's the fungus or not because I took the pic after I sprayed him with the tinactin. Forgot to do it before. Would the cream be better than the spray? I will look into getting the probiotics.

He's very active today. More so than we have ever seen. He actually chased his crickets today. He usually lets them come to him. We're hoping that it's just us overrreating as new parents. Thanks again for your replies.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Yellow Fungus and Yellow Skin Disease are the same thing, some people will just call them different names. The fungus is a common fungus found in the soil and in places where things like leaves and grasses are decomposing. It's unknown why reptiles seem to have no natural immunity to it. It's thought that they can come into contact with the fungus, but it will only affect them if stressed, resulting in a suppressed immune system, or have some sort of open wound. The fungus' ideal temperature range is in the same range as the bearded dragon's so it's easy to see why the fungus loves them. It also produces dense colonies that can reach a diameter of 1.2 inches in only 14 days, which is why time is always of the essence in these cases. The fungus displays an optimum growth at 86 degrees F, so it will spread quickly once in the enclosure or present on the dragon.

Whatever it is, it could be a good idea to do a thorough cleaning of his tank so he doesn't re-infect himself while trying to heal. Bake any decor possible (i.e. don't bake silk plants, but things like wood, rocks, bowls, etc should be fine) at around 200 degrees for half an hour and throw out anything you can't thoroughly clean. Wash any fabrics in hot water, and if available, steam clean the empty tank. If you don't have a steamer, you can wash with a diluted bleach solution (I think 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon water), wash inside and out of the tank, let sit for 30 mins, then rinse rinse rinse. It would probably be good to let the tank air out for a day or two. Also, if you have a floor heater, furnace, or fireplace, you could set the tank infront of it, rotating it, so the glass gets hot enough to kill any left over fungus and also will help any bleach residue evaporate. His substrate (flooring) should be something easily cleanable, like paper towels, newspaper, or tile. I prefer tile because it acts as a complete barrier between the glass on the bottom and the poop and it's easy to steam clean/bake to properly disinfect.

If he does have YF, many times it is spread because the yeast and fungus pass through the system and they poop it out, then when the step on the poop, it spreads it around. This is why it usually appears around vents. So any poop should be moved immediately.

Iodine or Betadine baths could be helpful. If your baby likes to drink his bath water, give him a fresh water bath first, let him drink, then drain and refill. Add enough of the Betadine or Iodine to the water to look like weak tea and let him soak for a bit. Usually 10-15 mins, but if he likes baths, you can do 30.

A probiotic would be great, as a week immune system only makes the fungus stronger, but nothing dairy as they can't digest it.

The main point I want to stress is any little thing you can do at home will not be a cure. It could potentially help, and of course it's a good idea to try anything you can, but an oral anti fungal is needed to attempt to treat Yellow Fungus. Topical treatment will never cure it, if it is Yellow Fungus. And always make sure to keep a close eye. The fungus likes to play dormant and then spring up again, so even if it looks like it's going away, don't let it fool you.

AngNJay

Original Poster
Thank you Varalidaine for all the information! I've replaced the paper towels with tiles. And I was also able to get info for a reptile vet from the pet store we got him from. It's a bit far but we will be making the trip to see what can be done. The pet store guy admitted that they have lost many of their beardies due to YF, so I'm pretty certain that ours is infected too. We clean the tank regularly but haven't done so with bleach. Don't have another tank to keep him in while we air it out. We have been using vinegar. Will begin to bake his decor and see about getting another tank. Thank you again. Enjoy the holidays if you're celebrating today.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I'm sorry about your little man. My first dragon was from a pet store and they adopter her out because a disease had disfigured her. I found out a few days later it was YF, had a vet check her out, and had to return her because I didn't have the funds to pay for vet visits and treatment. I feel many dragons that come from pet stores have one thing or another, be it parasites, YF, ADV, etc because it's all so easily spread, especially when a company is producing them for wholesale. It's sad how dishonest and uneducated pet stores can be as well.

I want to commend you for trying to save your little guy. He seems so loved and you're working quickly to save him. I hope the best for him! A vet visit will definitely help and they can take a sample to confirm whether it's YF or not.

Most pet stores have some sort of 30 day health guarantee, so if you got him recently, you probably return him temporarily to have him be seen by the pet stores vet for free.

You definitely don't have to buy a whole other tank. You can temporarily store him a plastic storage bin over night or few a few hours to let the tank air out and dry/get heated up. Since he's small, just get a tall one that he couldn't leap out of and if you baked his decor, you can put the decor in there so he feels a little more at home while waiting for his tank.

Wishing the best for him and have a happy holiday!

AngNJay

Original Poster
Thank you! It's amazing how much we love him already. It's almost like having a baby. We got him almost 2 months ago. Petsmart only gave us 14 days to return him. We asked if their vet could look at him for us but they claimed their vet doesn't work with exotics.

Update on Nino. He is shedding again. But only in that area with the yellow stuff. I don't know if he had an old shed as was suggested, but we have been bathing him every other day and using a soft toothbrush in the yellow areas then spraying with the tinactin. How often do they shed? It's only been about 2 or 3 weeks since his last shed. Still taking him to the vet to be on the safe side but I sure am praying it was just old skin.

84187-3228628575.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the storage bin. We have plenty of those.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is just like having a baby I think, though I don't have kids. LOL
It sounds like he is doing pretty well right now. I hope that it is just old shed. If it seems to be shedding & coming off then maybe it is just old skin!
They can shed pretty often when they are young, maybe monthly, or more often in some areas.
You can keep applying the tinactin daily, too as a precaution. Let us know what the vet says, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseSkull
Top Bottom