Help please-he swallowed some water in bath & coughed a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Ok, I didn't actually see what he did, only after. Taz (my 2 1/2 yr old male) got mad or freaked out in his bath (his tub is a shallow rubbermaid thing). I didn't see what happened (my mom was giving him the bath so I don't know everything) but what I do know is he someone dunked his head down low enough to get water in his mouth (he's never done this before, so I'm freaking out). I told my mom to get him out of there immediately, she did, brought him to me...and he's bearding (he's a male, he shows off, but I know this time was definitely not that) black, but not jet black. He stuck his tongue out for just a second and then went back to the bearding. However, he was also doing the beard stretches at first...and he seemed to be trying to cough/spit up/throw up the water. He did get some up (which is why I'm posting here...he's never done this and I don't know how to help him...or if/what I can do). After that, he calmed down a lot, no more black beard, but his breathing is still a little heavy. He can hold himself upright and, since he wanted back in his enclosure, I let him go in there...he's basking, head up, body was down at first, but he seems to be better there too. He's alert and can focus....but...did he get all the water up?!?! I'm watching him, and there has been no more coughing/throwing up of water and he looks relatively calm. Did he just get a little freaked out? And once he (I know this is always a bad sign, but maybe not in his case...if he needed to get the water out) threw up he just needed to get his breathing back under control? He scared me...so I was having trouble breathing too...am I just panicking? Or are there more signs I need to watch for? Oh, and to make this a bit more complicated, he's also getting ready to shed his beard and head, so the stretches (aside from those 1st ones right after, of course) could be him trying to break the shed that's making him grouchy in the first place.
I hope that made sense, I'm still a little panicked myself...never had him or Kaira do that before and I don't know what all to look for considering he's trying to shed, so he'll be bearding and stretching anyways.
I do have a vet (I do trust her with my beardies, so it'd be a matter of getting him there and in to see her--which could be an issue) but there's a ton of snow on the ground here still and I'm worried the cold will only make this worse if it ends up being respiratory.

Thanks for any help, I don't know how or what to do in this situation...oh and he seems to be breathing better (slower, not as harsh), not beard, very alert, still basking too.

Abi

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Anybody? He's still basking, alert, and the breathing seems back to normal. I'm taking these as good signs...but is there anything else I need to watch or do??? Watch his temps tonight more closely than normal in case of an upper respiratory infection?? Night temps are dropping to just about 68F at the lowest (average 71F)...humidity is on the low side, but he's got an 125 gallon tank (it's 6ft long...almost impossible to hold too much humidity in it....hence the baths, but he got scared or something today and dunked his head...again he's 2 1/2 years old, I've had him since he was about 6 weeks old and this is the first "dunking" thing)...haven't experienced it with my other beardie, Kaira, either. So, I'd really appreciate any advice or direction (or if the signs are good even...just that little reassurance would help, he scared me pretty bad :( )

Thanks,
Abi

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sure he'll be fine. He stopped choking, so that's the sign your'e looking for. There are frequent bathing scares in these forums, it can't be emphasized enough that there is potential danger for babies as well as larger dragons. For instance, even in 2 inches of water, if 2 medium-large beardies are bathed together and one jumps on the other's back [ like they do] you could easily have a drowning, much more so even with babies with only one inch. So never leave unattended. Your night temps. could be bumped up 10 degrees IF....he seemed to be having trouble breathing, but it seems like he's doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikeb
Top Bottom