HELP NEEDED!!!!SKINNY LATHARGIC BEARDIE ADVICE NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylor123221

Hatchling Member
i have 2 beardie littlefoot and fatgut and little foot isnt doing so well and has eat for 4 days and seems to be very lathargic and just doesnt want to no when feeding i have tried a seperate container feeding him hand feeding him both veg and crickets and still doesnt want to no. fatgut is much more alert and always has his head up where little foot head is always down i have been putting them in the bath every 2 days and fatgut will drink the water when i move it but again littlefoot wont have none of it even if i drop it on his nose just want a little advice as to what i can do fatgut doesnt eat alot either if i am honest i will post a pic of his side of the viv and pics of him and a couple of them together to see the difference between them fatgut has shed and is getting way bigger than littlefoot and you may not beable to see this in the pics but there is a visable difference. i have them about 3 weeks. another thing i would like to add is that little foot is hyper on a night time and wen the light goes off he turns into a different lizard all together and i dont understand this i thought they were meant to sleep on a night and be active during the day?????? any advice would be appreciated thanks
DAVID

ourlizardpics026.jpg

ourlizardpics028.jpg

ourlizardpics029.jpg

ourlizardpics030.jpg

ourlizardpics031.jpg

ourlizardpics032.jpg

ourlizardpics033.jpg

ourlizardpics034.jpg

i really need to get a proper divider lol!

taylor123221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
can anyone help????????? i have gave littlefoot some baby food 7drops on his nose and thats all he/she would have he has really bad stress marks aswell

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Are they housed together? How long have you had them?

Sometimes when they first get to a new place they won't eat much for a week or two. Also, if they are housed together, most times one will dominate the other where the one will eat all or most of the food and the other will eat almost nothing.

Lori

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Hi. Sorry your babies arent doing well.
If you can give us a little info about your setup, it will help us to maybe figure out what the problem may be.

taylor123221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hi lori, i have had them for 3 weeks now and did have them together but was told i should seperate them so divided my 4 foot tank in two and put the relivant heat light in etc. the first few days i got them they eat 7-8 crickets then have had very little since then 1-3 everyday up until 4 days ago and am not sure how many fatguts had because havent been able to keep a accurate count but not as many as i read on here 20-40 crickets a day seems unrealto me a wish they would lol!

taylor123221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
what would you like to no about the setup??? its all correct from what i have read on here and i got the viv off a beardie breeder so i no its correct but any info you would like i will give thanks DAVID

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello David,

Sorry your little ones are giving you a scare. Glad to hear that you separated them! From the pictures of your enclosure I noticed a few things that could use some changing. First off....your beardies need a bright white basking light( I noticed you are using a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) for basking. Second....the dial thermometers you are using can be off by quite a bit, not enabling you to get correct temps.
I am going to ask you specific questions...if you wouldn't mind answering them, maybe we can figure out what's going on with your beardies.

What Brand is the fluorescent uvb bulb you are using?
How close can your beardies get to the uvb light(it's hard to tell from the pic)?
What temps are you getting in the basking and coolside?
What is the wattage of that CHE?
Are you measuring temps with anything besides the dial thermometers in the pics?
What are you feeding? How often?
Are you using Calcium or Mutivitamin supplements? How often?
How often are you bathing them?
When was the last time they pooped?

If you could answer these(for both beardies and their set ups), we will try and help you out.

taylor123221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What Brand is the fluorescent uvb bulb you are using? REPTI-SUN 10.0
How close can your beardies get to the uvb light(it's hard to tell from the pic)?6 INCHES
What temps are you getting in the basking and coolside?100-105 BASKING COOLSIDE 80-85 I THINK
What is the wattage of that CHE? EXO TERRO 250W
Are you measuring temps with anything besides the dial thermometers in the pics? NO BUT GETTING DEIGITAL THERMOMETER TOMORROW
What are you feeding? How often? PINHEAD CRICKS OFFERED 2-3 TIMES A DAY DONT WANT TO NO
Are you using Calcium or Mutivitamin supplements? How often?CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT 5 TIMES A WEEK
How often are you bathing them?EVERY 2 DAYS F0R 10-15 MINS
When was the last time they pooped? TODAY

taylor123221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i would just like to add that i only have a cardboard divider and have not got a heat bulb yet for the other side but fatgut who is on the cooler side is doing fine at the moment and is the bigger one of the two and has been in that for a week i no this isnt ideal but i have only had them 3 weeks and only new last week they had to be seperated what is the difference between a ceramic heat bulb and one with a light i was told they are better

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Beardies need a bright white light for basking. The white light not only simulates the sun and encourages them to bask, but also protects their eyes from the rays of the uvb. The CHE is actually used at night to heat the enclosure if temps fall below 65 degrees. The CHE cannot be used as the basking bulb.
Both if your beardies must have their own basking light. Basking under the light is what helps them digest their food. They can get very sick and/or impacted if their food does not digest properly.
You can use a normal white household bulb for a basking light.

The pics you posted, they are only of the one side of the tank, correct? Does the other side have a uvb light also?
They both must have their own uvb and basking bulb.

If you are using only the dial thermometer, your temps are not accurate. The only way to get accurate temps is with the digital thermometer with a wire and probe or a temp gun. The dial thermometers can be up to 20 degrees off. If you are using a 250W CHE in that enclosure...it is too hot for your little guy and could cause rapid dehydration. This could be why your little beardie is lethargic and not eating.

I'm glad to hear you will be getting a digital thermometer. In case you have not been told...there is a great one at Walmart. It is called AcuRite and is around $12. You can find it in the home thermometer section(not the pet section).

That is good you are giving them calcium 5 x a week. They also need a multivitamin 2-3 x a week.

Until you get your set up figured out I would recommend bathing your beardies daily, in hopes that neither of them become dehydrated.

I noticed you mentioned feeding them crickets. Are you offering veggies daily? Here is a wonderful food chart that lists what to feed and not to feed your beardies.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

taylor123221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i had a very strange feeling that my setup wasnt as good as i thought so what your basically saying is change the ceramic for a house hold bulb what watt?????? i no i need one for the otherside but cant afford it so going to have to get rid of one of them as much as i dont want to going to have to.Does the other side have a uvb light also? yes its the same one as on the other side i simple cut out a hole in the cardboard because my viv is 4 foot had to split them in 2 i got 2 because i hadnt read up on them as i have had lizards before wen i was younger and my dad looked after all this stuff just jumped straight in withouit thinking i love them too bits and will kill me getting rid of one but its going to cost a fortune for what i need for 2 when i have what i have for 1 just a case of changing the ceramic for a household bulb then that will make it 10 times easier as am not experienced enough to have 2 thanks for the advice

DAVID

taylor123221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do offer veggies to each every day after reading about them i sort of no the basics and whats right and whats not with the care of them just not to good with having 2 in 1 viv i really didnt realise how complicated they are maybe i can keep both of them so for the time being tomorrow when i change the ceramic for household could i keep them together for a week or 2 because they are no bother together at theminute till i sort the viv out so its seperated and lighting etc sorted?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Okay...I am going to guess maybe a 40 or 50 watt white household bulb on each side will work.

Make sure that when you get your themometer tomorrow that it is a digital thermometer with a long wire and probe end. I did not realize you were in the UK(no Walmarts there :lol: ). You could also get a temp gun if you don't find the right type of digital( they are a little more expensive though).

I know the expense of having beardies can be a little much at times. I hope you can get everything worked out. As for keeping them together until you get the correct set up...if you do this, please pay close attention to them so that they don't harm one another. I am not recommending you putting them together, but if you must, please watch them closely.

You also need to try and get some food in that little one. Try getting some babyfood(no sugar or preservatives). Turkey, Butternut squash babyfoods seem to go over well with the babies. Put some on his nose and see if he will lick it off for you.
Don't forget the bathing also.
Do change out that CHE for a white bulb ASAP!

It doesn't take much for the tiny baby beardies to become sick. They are quite fragile when so young. Get your set up corrected asap and hopefully you will see a change in them.

taylor123221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i gave littlefoot some babyfood today and he had 7 drops on his nose as i had been told this already on another post but late on tonight will do this several times a day. i will change the ceramic straight away in the morning and put them together because they dont have a issue with each other tbh they have been together all the time apart from this week wen i have seperated them so that will be fine then at least i have a bit time to sort it all out properly wen i put them together today at for the first time in a week they were waving away at each other?????? i no about the dominance issue lying on each other etc but whats the waving at the same time and waving in general about?????????????????????????

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Waving is a sign of submission, but I would like to see someone else answer why they both wave at each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom