HELP!!! My eggs are dying....

Status
Not open for further replies.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Am down to 12 eggs!!! Checked this AM & had to throw several out. They're collapsing in on themselves & idk why. Ive got a homemade incubator which I've used one like this b4 and had about 52 out of 58 hatch. The wethr here's been funny -- very cool for June. Last nite in 50's & 2 nites prior down in 40's. Daytime in 70's to low 80's but supposed to b 90 today. Idk if the constantly changing temps r the reason or not. Incubator staying from 81 (lowest I've seen ) to 86. Humidity varies from high 40's to high 60's Noticed vermiculite is very dry. Should I try to mist it to re-moisten! I really wanna save these eggs but am at a loss. Someone PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry:

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Yes!! They are collapsing because they are dry. You must keep checking the vermiculite, about once a week is usually good. Re-dampen the vermiculite but don't get the eggs wet. Some of your collapsed eggs may pop back up :) Good luck!

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank u 4 answering but how do I dampen the vermiculite w/o getting the eggs wet too? If I mist that's obviously gonna spread all over & I know ur not supposed to move the eggs around so I can't keep taking them out, re-wetting vermiculite & placing them back so how do I do this? :banghead: Thank u so much 4 ur help ... I want to save every one of these sweet little babies and can't stand to see them die like this. I had no trouble at all with my other ones ... I never remoistened their vermiculite at all! Thx again! :D

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Most spray bottles you can make it so it sprays a stream, rather than a mist, so you can just spray b/w the eggs with the stream (hope you have good aim! :p) if that makes sense. You just twist the end/tip of the spray bottle.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I use a hair dye bottle with a long skinny tip to rewet my vermiculite, but i've also had eggs die that were not drying out. I've also had eggs go bad because they were too wet, so don't soak the vermiculite, just add a couple tablespoons of water.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thx so much 4 ur advice. Idk why I didnt think of twisting the nozzle on the spray bottle -- duh! I musta had a big brain fart or sumthing :? But anyway yesterday I just dribbled water a little at the time from my fingers between the eggs to re-moisten it but I did get a little water on a couple of the eggs. Oh course that freaked me out but I just sed a little prayer & left them be. This morning they look MUCH better thank God! They're all plumper looking and there were a couple more with small dents yesterday which have now plumped back out :D unfortunately the others I threw out were completely sunken in & I'd already thrown them out so I'll never know if they wud've filled back out or not but I tend to think not -- they looked pretty bad when I took them out. But the others r looking great this AM so I really appreciate all ur advice & help with this and with educating me! Like I sed, I never had this problem with Bo's eggs and I'm definitely not an expert. I hope to make it to the end with healthy, beautiful little babies like I had last time. Again Thanx so much!! :blob5:

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thx again! Uve really been lots of help with great advice for me & I really appreciate it! I'd LOVE to post pics but I can't seem to post them using my iPhone (3G). I think I mentioned b4 my car was stolen on March 1st, along with my identity, ATM & credit cards, and one of the worst viruses known to man was nuked my PC so I no longer have a computer & can only access this site using my phone. The pics r on my phone but 4 sum reason they won't post. Btw, I know this isn't really relevant to the forum, but just yesterday federal marshalls caught the jerk who did this to me & I just got my car back!!! YES!! :blob5: anyway I'm not that great with technology since I've been outta work for 15 yrs & haven't really kept up with all the advances but I can do basic stuff. If u no how I can get my pics on, pls let me know & I'd love to share! They're on my FB page so u cud c them there, IF it's ok to put my FB info on here. Is it ok or safe to share that info here? Don't wanna break any rules or anything &Ike I sed, am not that familiar w/ web or other protocols. It's a little embarrassing to b so clueless about this sorta thing but a computer geek I am not! :)

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Oh wow! That's terrible but thank goodness they caught him!!! Umm I'm not sure about posting using an iPhone, I know I've seen other ppl who say they can't. If you are worried about sharing your facebook, you could set your profile to private so only friends can see your info, but make your photo album with your beardie pics public, then share the link to your album?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom