HELP My beardie ate the bulb off the temp probe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishboneNC

Hatchling Member
I noticed this morning Angel probably ate the bulb off the temp probe!
I can't find it so I guess he swallowed it.
Think he'll pass it?

He's about 2 years old
He never paid attention to it!
It was about 1/4" diameter and about 1/2" long

kbro

Hatchling Member
I would think at his size it will pass. Monitor the feces for it to make sure it comes out. You could help it along with a few drops of olive oil added to some canned pumkin (no additives or spices) or no sugar added applesauce. Those item tend to get things "moving".

kbro

Hatchling Member
Lol I know, I would pick up some disposable rubber gloves too. But you need to know if it comes out because if you don't find it you will probably have to visits the vet.

kbro

Hatchling Member
PogonaTrainerAISP":llgwtyru said:
Um...no mercury...right?

I didn't think about that :? , I guess I assumed it was the digital probe on a wire. They don't have mercury

FishboneNC

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It was a digital probe.
I'm not leaving that in there again!

Spoke with a vet at Reptile Rescue North Carolina
He said, give him some mineral oil, no artificial colors, no red dye, no preservatives....get it at the drug store/department
Dip it on food, my beardie like those beardie pebbles, soak them in the oil...dip it on spinach stalks, get some on his roaches, kale, spinach etc...and give him extra warm water soaks

Watch his belly for stress marks, if I it gets dark or dark blue...get him to a vet! It means he's impacted!

He told me, unlike humans or dogs, which have a complex, squiggly type intestine, reptiles, (snakes, lizards) have a more straight intestine, it should pass!

Thanks everyone

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that it will likely pass but keep a close eye on him. The suggestion from the vet is good. You can even try dripping it on his nose and see if he licks it straight off. As suggested before, olive oil may work too. As they get older, it's my understanding that their digestive tract straightens out a bit so they're less susceptible to impaction than the younger ones are. Cooper once bit the tip right off of a syringe while at the vet and it didn't cause much concern. He passed it a few days later without issue.

FishboneNC":5dy34nwz said:
Watch his belly for stress marks, if I it gets dark or dark blue...get him to a vet! It means he's impacted!

I didn't know that. Would've been some great information for the owners of those who may have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom