Help!!! My baby beardie isn't eating!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Gayle--start a separate thread of your own beardie. UVB name. Get rid of the night time light, will only disturb his sleep. What substrate is he on, has he eaten at all etc

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
4Vanheap":23utc7nh said:
My baby bearded won't eat won't move and just lays there. He is also shedding all over. We bought him 8 days ago and I am seriously concerned. I honestly don't know what to do and my son is devastated. Please if anyone can help me or guide me I am so inexperienced and I don't want to find out that there was something i should have done. He has a UV bulb, basking light, night light and multiple places to roam.

Thank you so much

Gayle :cry:

Hi Gayle,

Why don't you make your own thread to ask about it, then you can pm me the link to it and I will come try to help ya :)
That way we don't get confused with trying to help the OP's dragon and yours all on the same thread. :)

-Brandon

solerilina

Original Poster
Thanks again Brandon. I got a temp UVB light in there for the mean time. (Repti-glo 10.0 coil, my old one it turns out was a 5.0 so, not enough light at all) I also replaced the basking bulb with a 50 watt instead of a 75 watt and now the temp stays between 101-105 where he lays and the ambiant temp on the warm side is about 85-88 with his cool side being around 80. Even at night he never gets below 70 where he sleeps so the temps are doing good. He is eating better now... about 2-3 1/8" crickets 2-3 times a day. Eats the baby food like it's his job still though, he seems to like it so I will give it to him if he will eat it since he doesn't eat his veggies anyway at least he can get some squash baby food...

HOWEVER his back leg is now swollen like Violet from the Willy Wonka movies (with out the whole...purple issue that is). It popped up over night so, I think he must have fallen and somehow hurt his little leg. I have read things about gout but, from what I know about gout and how it presents in both humans (as an EMT) and reptiles (the internet rocks) it would have swollen slowly over time... not just one day I wake up and BAM! one leg hulked out over night. I guess that one just needs time to heal... but, then comes the not pooping... I think he needs an extra long bath with tummy rubs tonight... adjusting from a patte diet to a solid one can play hell on anyone/thing's bowels.

solerilina

Original Poster
Can anyone give me a straight answer (backed by facts and science, like Sheldon Cooper I am ruled by logic) as to why coil bulbs are so bad :dontknow: . I know many reputable reptile stores, friends, and even vets who themselves use coil bulbs and have no issues with them...ever. While I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts and offer their advice and imput; simply telling me that a coil bulb is bad and that Koopa is better off with NO uvb light than a coil bulb without any hard facts or for that matter ANY reason backed or not isn't exactly helpful. I also have a hard time believing he is better of with NO uvb light than anything... Bearded Dragons require UVB light to absorb calcium and other vital nutrients so in theory having no UVB light would do just as much if not more damage to him than the coil bulbs supposedly do. Even with multi-vitamins and calcium dust if there is no UVB light you may as well be dusting with fracking pixie dust... his body won't be able to absorb any of it without UVB light. Any input would be appreciated on this matter even though it no longer pertains to the E.R section... (or does it?).

Thanks again.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They simply DO NOT work.

They cause more harm than good.

There really is a reason why there is only two uvb bulbs we recommend on this site. And trust me, its not because we get paid to sell you a product like a pet store does.

Coil bulbs give off horrible wavelengths of uvb, they are only really effective for uvb if extremely close to the dragon (sub 3 inches) but at that distance, the wavelengths are MUCH to powerful and cause a lot of harm.

Coils in general are large glaring bulbs, and they can cause very serious eye issues.

They have been linked to lethergicness, loss of appetite, MBD through improper synthesis of calcium, photoconjunctivitis, and various other issues resulting from improper UVB exposure.

I second the advice to turn off the coil completely. It will cause more harm than good.

You are just going to have to trust our advice, we see dragons here way too often suffering under improper uvb. We didn't just wake up one morning and pin the issues on a certain bulb. This is the result of years of experience from a large community after seeing hundreds upon hundreds of dragons suffering.

If you want to see the same thing this community has seen for years, just spend a few hours going through all the ER threads and all the Health threads. Make a note of every time there is a sick dragon, and then make a note of what UVB its under.

If you don't want to do that to form your own opinion on it, then please just trust us with the advice we give you.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
solerilina":m3rpiaab said:
Bearded Dragons require UVB light to absorb calcium and other vital nutrients so in theory having no UVB light would do just as much if not more damage to him than the coil bulbs supposedly do.
Maybe in theory, but theory and practice are two extremely different things.

-Brandon

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Like Communism, for example. Here are the "facts and science" in my world. I currently have a rescue with an eye issue that was under a coil bulb. It has been off for 9 days now so that he can heal. When he is has UVB again, it will be a Reptisun 10. Thusfar, he is fine; no signs of MBD whatsoever. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom