Help mounting basking light inside glass viv

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased this Nat Geo Reptile Sanctuary from PetSmart, the 67 Gallon one for my baby Toothless.

http://www.petsmart.com/brand-shops/habitats-d-cor/national-geographic-trade-sanctuary-reptile-terrarium-zid36-21557/cat-36-catid-800542?var_id=36-21557&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

I have the 24" Reptisun 10.0 mounted inside via 6 strong magnets which is working perfectly.

I'm having trouble getting the basking spot up to temp and would like to mount the basking light inside. I'm at a complete loss on how to do this right now as the viv is all glass. I'm not cutting holes in the mesh or altering in any permanent way. I'm thinking of making some type of clamp with steel brackets and magnets as a last resort. I really need to get him up to temp today.

EightFingers

Original Poster
Alright well, instead of bringing the lights to him, I brought him to the lights.

I bought a 36" oak hobby board from Home Depot and cut into 4 9" sections for the base. The top is a 12"x12" shale tile I drilled 4 holes in the corners. Be sure to use water while drilling so it doesn't break.

The basking temp is still rising on the Herpstat but it's already 10 degrees warmer and he's now 7" away from the UVB light.

The spoon holding the wire for the UVB is temporary lol, just making sure the light doesn't drop because of the magnets.

9GxyePF.jpg

a97KV59.jpg

CxO7ebm.jpg

WisePrey

Well for the UVB, looks like you have an under cabinet fixture. Depending on how tight the screen mesh is. The hardware that's supposed to go in the cabinet might work with little modification to the screen top (Just have to put the screws through the mesh).

As for the rest. How is that tiny beardie going to climb up that wood to his basking platform? Seems like a very dangerous setup for a small lizard that can't climb that well.

EightFingers

Original Poster
The UVB is mounted with super strong magnets, I needed a way to get the basking lamps down. I bought some mirror wire which I think would work but like this platform much better.

He's at a constant 105 in his basking spot now, has shade underneath and his cool side is 75-80.

He also has a tile he can climb up to get up top, the log is not his only way up.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Have you tried a higher wattage basking bulb? Something to consider if your still struggling with temps. But actually, that platform is great :) he may even enjoy a branch to climb on and be up high on the cool side. baby dragons are great climbers, so as long as the log isn't super smooth and everything is stable/secure he shouldn't have any trouble and it will give him some exercise :) keep an eye on his claws with the slate ramp, when Pepper was small I used a sandstone perch and it almost wore his nails to numbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom