help michaelangelo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, i think im pretty convinced that my beardie is impacting, poor thing :( ok what should i do??????? I read to give him frequent warm soak baths to help him poop and rub his tummy, also to give him mineral oil and feuit juice?? is this true??? i need answers asap.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What has impacted your dragon, too large of prey or loose substrate?
You can bathe your dragon daily in warm water & give canned pumpkin or sugar free applesauce, mixed with squash baby food & a drop or two of olive or mineral oil, daily. You can massage his belly too, on the right side starting under his arms to the vent area.
How long has he been in this condition?

How old is he?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

yellababii07

Original Poster
I think the mealworms. And he hasnt pooped for a day now. Im not sure how old he is. I would say between 3-5 months old. I started giving him warm bath last night. How do i give him the mineral oil? do i mix it in the baby food and applesauce tracie?

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
I would use just a single drop of the oil. I've had to do this also (I think we've all been there!). Keeping your temps warm enough and having an accurate thermometer is very important. If the temperatures aren't warm enough he can't digest. How long has it been since he's pooped? What color what it when he last pooped? The white part is called urates, which is like urine. What I do is mix a single drop of oil with the canned pumpkin or applesauce (or like Tracie said you can mix pumpkin/applesauce/squash,etc). The mealworms do need to pass then I would avoid them. :)

yellababii07

Original Poster
The canned pumpkin, is it like the one we make pumpkin pie with lol im sorry, i just dobt want to get him the wrong thing. And the applesauce would have to be sugar free, correct? the last time he went was i believe friday morning. If i cant feed him mealworms, then wat can i besides crickets and veggies?????

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I get organic baby food since jars are so small and the food is runny. You don't want spices or additives (including sugar).

If the laxatives don't work he may have problems related to the fall, not the mealworms. Will you be able to get him seen?

You can offer him appropriately sized worms, like black soldier fly larvae (calci, repti or pheonix worms depending on your location) silk worms, or hornworms. You may need to order them online or have a local petstore special order them for you. Roaches (most use dubia) are good as well but are not permitted in Canada, Florida and by some parents/spouses.

yellababii07

Original Poster
Ok thanks, first of all i would to thank everyone with their helpful tips and concerns.

I went to the store today and i got a pure olive oil, 3 jars of organic squash baby food and unsweetend applesauce. I couldn't find the canned pumpkin or sugarfree applesauce. I hope this works. Prag for me!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The unsweetened applesauce & squash baby food will be just fine. Just mix that all together along with the olive oil & you can use a plastic dropper or syringe to feed him.
The mealworms may have impacted him, they tend not to digest real well sometimes.
Is he basking normally right now?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

yellababii07

Original Poster
Tracie, how long do u think it will take for him to poop regular again? he still hasn't went and ive been giving him warm baths and he doesn't like the applesauce, squash with olive oil but i kinda force feed him cuz i want him to get better.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Yella....is this the same baby that was dropped + then started dragging his legs ? I think he's the one, it's very important that you add that info to this thread.....that is probably why you're having no poos from him, he is shaken up from his fall and his injury and has affected his appetite + pooing since then. Is he doing better walking ? It would be good to keep this all in the original thread so the history of what happened to him is right there. The fall is the starting point of his problems....it may just take a little longer for him to get to feeling right. If you can't afford a good reptile vet, continue with warmer than usual baths [ about 1/2 " water if he's a baby ] but don't rub his body at all in case he has spinal injuries. Don't force the food/oil too much, he can inhale it + choke to death. After his fall it will take a while to feel better , that is if he can recover. Hopefully he'll get better soon !

yellababii07

Original Poster
Thanks, he still dragging his back legs, but hes still active like walking around in his tank. But if hes not better by next week then i will deff take him to the reptile vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he has a spinal injury then it may take some time for him to recover. If there is any compression on his spinal cord then he may need some help going to the bathroom.
As suggested, be careful when giving foods/fluids so he doesn't aspirate them.
How is he doing today, has he basked for a good portion of the day?
Do you want me to merge your other thread?

Tracie

yellababii07

Original Poster
What u mean by basked?? when i cams home i found him laying in the water. And it looks like he ate some of the olive oil mix, i left it in his tank for him so i wont force feed him anymore. But like i said if he still the same by the end of the week, i will take him to the vet

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Basking is when they get up under their heat light and get warm to digest their food. Minimum temp for digestion is 95, but for a baby should be around 103-105.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom