Help me out with Dubia Roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJM

Hatchling Member
I'm getting verrrrry tired of crickets. They're stinky and die too much, and buying them adds up to a lot of money. I hear that roaches are extremely easy to breed and much less smelly, and I am very interested.

How small do they come?
My beardie is about 10 weeks old - almost 9 inches long. Do they come small enough for him?
The space between is eyes is around 1.5 centimeters, maybe a tad more.
If he's too small, when can I start using Dubias?
I have a 10 gal tank (his starter tank) that I would use. What would I put in it?
What is the actually process of housing and breeding them?
What do I feed them?
I hear that they die in cold, do I need to warm their living quarters at night?
What's the best site to buy them? (cheapest & best service?)

Thanks in advance. n____n

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
The good thing about dubia is that they are born tiny and grow rather slowly, so if you get a good colony going, then you've always got a variety of sizes.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
SJM":41f71 said:
I'm getting verrrrry tired of crickets. They're stinky and die too much, and buying them adds up to a lot of money. I hear that roaches are extremely easy to breed and much less smelly, and I am very interested.
I am with you all the way. Crickets suck. Dubias are awesome!

As was said, once you get your colony going, you will have a whole variety of sizes to feed your dragon for the rest of his life.

As for the tank, I would urge you to keep them in a large Rubbermaid container. It is easier to clean, easier to store, and holds humidity much better, which is good for the roaches.

I cut the top out of this tub and replaced it with screen. (This was originally made for crix; dubias would be better off with 1/2 or 1/4 that much ventilation.)
DSC00565.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

These things are virtually indestructable. Which is a good thing when you're using them as feeders; a bad thing when you're trying to get rid of an infestation. Out of curiosity, I took a few of my dubia and put them in a separate container. No food, no water, no heat, no humidity, they lived for months. :shock: Which means if these guys get loose in your house, you're in trouble. The good news is that they can't jump, fly, or climb, so as long as you're careful, it's easy to keep them contained.

So, pretty much, these are about the easiest feeders to keep. You don't need to do anything! However, keeping them cool and not giving them food is not the best way to get a strong, healthy colony going, which is what we're shooting for. The following are some basic guidelines to follow to get your colony going. If these guidelines are followed, your roaches will only need a month or so to establish before you can start feeding them off to your beardie.

For best possible results with breeding, keep them at around 90*.

If you live in a dry area, mist the walls of the tub every now and then to keep up humidity. If kept at low humidity, roaches won't be able to molt. A stuck molt will kill roaches.

For food, anything goes. These guys aren't too picky about what they eat, lol. To gutload them, follow the same guidelines as for gutloading crix. I use a bearded dragon food pellets (catfood will also work, as will many other concoctions reccommended for gutloading crix).

To keep them hydrated, you don't need any of those gell-water things, although companies will try to tell you otherwise. I use fresh fruits, veggies, and greens (mostly leftovers from Budo) that I slightly mist. This is all they need for water. Just don't give them a dish of water, or they will drown.

As for where to get them, I highly reccommend The Roach Guy. http://www.theroachguy.com/ Great customer service and decent prices, as far as dubias go. You will find that they can be pretty expensive. Trust me, it's all worth it to be done with crickets once and for all, and think-- you'll never have to buy feeders ever again!

spyder86

Hatchling Member
I would recomend going with theroachranch.com, great service and almost all the roaches he shipped to me were big so I will have lots of breeders in a short amount of time. theroachguy is also good but i got a lot more small ones from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom