help me guys, I need a weight loss plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Ok, Nemesis has always been a fatty, but she is now 19.75" and 724 grams! This is majorly getting outta hand. I only feed her bugs every 3 days and she eats greens every day. She is just the laziest thing in the world (always has been). What can I do?
I genuinely think she would eat until she explodes if I let her. Other than her weight, she is healthy, she CAN run around if she ever decides to do so. I know I'm not the only one around her with a fat beardie, but my god, I worry about her being so big :shock:

Ideas?

CaptainVimes

Hatchling Member
If she gets out time, out of the enclosure, is she still majorly lazy?

The only thing I can think of is what I did with my fat rabbit, (yes I KNOW they are completely different creatures!) Make her work for her food, don't put it right in front of her, perhaps set up something very similar to an obstacle course OUT of her enclosure, and hold her reward (wriggly bug in your case) at the end of it.

It's a shot in the dark, but it might just work? (it worked for my porky rabbit lol :) )

Sorry if you think that's a useless idea.

Only other idea is to find out which bug contains LEAST fat, and feed her them for a while?

I shutup now, one stupid idea MAY be excusable, two is just "shoot me in the head" tolerance. ;)

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She mostly eats crickets for bugs, but I order different kinds of worms for Nachtmahr (he is not a huge fan of crickets) and she gets some occasionally, like hornworms, butters, silks, mini supers. She will literally eat ANYTHING that does not eat her first, I so wish her appetite would go to Nachtmahr :roll:

YBS0502

Hatchling Member
would like to see the answer for this question my girl has gotten up to 800 grams at 19 3/4s of an inch :study:

discojan

Juvie Member
In the summer, we had our big girl swimming in a kiddie pool. The water was warm, and deep enough that she had to swim (though we were watched her like a hawk so nothing bad would/could happen). Since she was a chubbers and we didn't want to stress her heart, we did intervals--about 20-30 seconds on (then rest), then again, rinse and repeat for a minute or two. She did lose some weight during that time and then started laying eggs which took care of the rest.

Now that it is winter we're not sure what to do. She has gotten up to nearly 700 grams, and is lazy as lazy can be. We tried the treadmill downstairs on its lowest setting, but she just sat still and "enjoyed the ride."

The only time we can get her to run is to dangle a juicy worm (horn, silk, butter) just out of reach. I've had her do laps across the house to get one!

I'm curious to hear what others suggest, as I'd like her to lose a few grams...

Best wishes, Jan

MissT

BD.org Addict
I have a chubby girl too. She is just hitting 19 inches and her weight fluctuates between 605 and 640 grams. She also has gout and as a result, only gets 7 feeders per week (usually locusts). Ithought the big decrease in protein would help her lose weight (she was getting 30 per week) but, it doesn't. She just continues to be her chubby little self :(

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Well, I remember when we had Digger out and roaming, he would like to play "treadmill", we would pick him up and he would run off our hands so we just put one hand in front of the other and he would just keep running from hand to hand then we would let him run on the floor. Also, when we would give him a bath and he would swim sometimes we would gently hold his tail for like 5 seconds and he would swim like crazy then we would let him go..then he would come back for more, lol! We never hurt him or anything but it helped with his weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom