Help! Lost my Beardie in my house!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
My biggest fear is losing my leopard gecko. I am very mildly color-blind, not like OMG I can't see color, but more like some shades of colors look very similar and I can make subtle color mistakes. Anyhow in the house by the light of the TV, late at night, my gecko can kind of blend in with the carpet. :shock: It's just the way that I see her. My husband can see her fine against the carpet. If I turn my head for a second I feel like I have to search for her. And she's sneaky.

Anyhow I lost her under the couch twice. :shock: She came back out and things were fine, but I had 10 minutes of stress over it. I've had to learn to watch her the whole time. No internet surfing, no looking at the TV...I mean watch her. :silent:

My beardies have their 'routine' places that they go to when they want to find a 'sleepy place,' but it's good to have your reminder that they can slip out of our vision. :shock: I am so glad to hear you found her. I hope she returns to normal and is in good health.

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's crazy about your gecko blending with the carpet. This is going to sound weird, but I always wondering what being color-blind was like.

Usually mine have routine places too, that's why I didn't think it'd be a big deal if I went and grabbed the pile of laundry to fold while I watched her. Man was that a mistake. She's never been sneaky /: until now I guess.
I've yet to let any of them out with out literally sitting down and staring at them the entire time since this Gilbert incident.
What a lesson.

Thanks a lot.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Yeah I am right there with you. We have a 'hole' in the kitchen under the kitchen cabinets - like part of the board is missing under the cabinet. I have sealed it off myself so no one can crawl up under there, but I am paranoid and I check it every single day to make sure it is strongly blocked. I truly check it daily. We live in an apartment and I need to have it permanently fixed. It's big enough to lose a kitten in there.

What's chilling about this...? Before I noticed the hole, we let our beardie run around unsupervised. I didn't know any better at the time. I don't have a lot of stuff and otherwise the place was beardie-proofed. :shock: :shock: :shock: :eek: I get sick thinking about it.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Oh my gosh! I JUST saw this! How tough for you. I am SO happy your guy managed to make it back all right. I kind of laughed a little at the idea of your dad yelling about why your lizard was out. I can't even image. Happy ending!! :blob8: :blob5:

my1stBD

Juvie Member
@ShannyBeard & @reillyrebekahann

Have you checked out Christene's website?? She makes custom harnesses and leashes. For beardie and Geckos as well. Sized to fit.
Theyre awesome and safe.
Then at least when the lizzard gets away from you youll be able to see the leash part sticking out somewhere and find them easier. Its really a "peace of mind" item for me. I got mine is the brightest pink so it wont blend in with anything in my house. Shannybeard.....you could choose one of the colours that stand out for you :D

Anyways, so glad everything turned out great, safe and sound. I was really worries at the beginning and sad when the posts stopped coming.

Heres a link to Christene's site
Shes on here as well...... UN is OgleRpets

http://oglerpets.com/lizard-leashes.php

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hahaha, it was kind of funny now that I think about it too. He apologized for it because he honestly thought I left my cage door open (which I never do). He keeps saying that it's "freaky" that she popped up.
We kinda thought my dog ate her 0_0 I kept checking her poop and wondering why the heck she hasn't digested poor Gilbert yet.
That's why we stopped checking the house for her. You can only pull out the fridge so many times before you just accept that she was consumed (O_O)

Well I do have a very bright green leash that I use when we go outside, but Christene's leashes look way better then the ferret leash I've been using. Thanks for sending that to me.
I love that the sizes are "teeny", "small" and "large" (wow she has some gorgeous beardies).

Man a hole under the cabinets? I'd be paranoid too, that just stinks of horror waiting to happen. Aww hahahaha, you've gotta let it go sometime {:
I want to put some kind of collar on her with a whistle device (like I have when I lose my keys), so that she can run around unsupervised.
Mine HATE when you look at them. They will go nuts in their cage, so you'll walk into the room to see what they are up to and they freeze and just stare at me until I go away, then they go back to whatever they are doing. And when I let them loose in the house, and I look down at them they will just stare up at me, but if I turn my head and pretend to being concentrating on something else, they will start moving. All 3 of them act like this. I don't get it. It's kind of funny, but frustrating at the same time.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Reilly, like I said before, I'm so happy that you found Gilbert!

ShannyBeard: The hole under your cabinet would seem like a beardie death trap! I'm happy you got it all covered up so you won't lose any scaly friends in there! I have this very large wood dresser in my room that is SO heavy. When I was little, actually, the dresser almost fell on top of me and if my brother wasn't there I probably would've died because of the weight. But anyway at the bottom it's open only on the front (where the carpet touches it) and it has a little decorative opening just to make it look "fancy" i guess. Well, my worst nightmares are that Fiz would go under there and not come out. If he were to go in there, I would not be able to lift that monster piece of furniture to get to him! I always stuff a big towel under there to make it "Fiz proof" because if anything happened to my little guy, I don't know what I'd do :( The only good part of the dresser is that it's big and makes a nice stand for Fiz's 40 gallon breeder. But today, that 40 gallon is getting emptied out and going right into my closet because today is... FIZ'S MOVING IN DAY YAAAY! Today I'm going to put the finishing touches on the new viv and Fiz can move in! Yay! He'll get a special cricket dinner followed by a little bit of shredded carrot (his favorite) for dessert as a moving-in-present! Yay!

Reilly: How's the professional hide & seeker? Gilbert's probably happy being nice and warm under her basking spot!!

my1stBD

Juvie Member
so you'll walk into the room to see what they are up to and they freeze and just stare at me until I go away, then they go back to whatever they are doing

Ha ha thats so funny, mine does that when shes eating her salads..........heaven forbid i actually "SEE" her liking it

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
We do have a really small harness that would fit my gecko and if she ever leaves the house I will use it. But in the house she really enjoys some 'freedom.' Also she is very sensitive-skinned and I think the harness would bother her. Even a light touch makes her wriggle! :shock:

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
I just read up on your beardie from pg 1 forward and I am so happy that you have your dragon back. Thank goodness!!!

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
YAY I AM SOOOO HAPPY GILBERT RETURNED TO YOU!!!!! This made my day, really what great news for you. How's she doing?

-Kaleen

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's kinda funny, Gilbert looks a lot like the one you have in your picture.
She has that orange spaghetti face too!!

She's doing good, vet said she'll be fine but to keep up on the calcium. She's constantly scratching at her cage.
Now that she got a nice taste of the outside world she constantly wants out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom