Help, is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlocs

Ok so today I was in a rush home from work to check up on my little guy and to feed him. So ive pretty much spent the entire afternoon with him and I couldnt help but notice that he kept opening his mouth in his tank(Gaping), So i took him out for a bit and when he opened his mouth when I was carrying him I noticed a yellow area in the mouth and I really want to know if thats normal or no? I wish I could take him to the vet but Im caught up on bills at the moment. I will post a pic and possibly a video so you guys can tell me what you think. In the video you'll notice that there is like a quick popping sound when he opens his mouth. It doesnt always happen but I noticed it quite a bit today. He also spends alot more time now with this mouth open than before and he keeps scratching his head up against anything he can rub(finger, branch, or glass) Please give me some inputs on what could this be.

He needs to go to the vet. He most likely has a respiratory infection. They open their mouth, but one way you can identify it is popping. You should be able to take him to the vet as you should only own an animal if you are always able to care for them ( taking to the vet ) He really needs the vet. He could die if he does not receive vet assistance.

Murlocs

Original Poster
Beardie321":2w1yaf4y said:
He needs to go to the vet. He most likely has a respiratory infection. They open their mouth, but one way you can identify it is popping. You should be able to take him to the vet as you should only own an animal if you are always able to care for them ( taking to the vet ) He really needs the vet. He could die if he does not receive vet assistance.

Im perfectly able to care for him but I also have bills I have to pay and this was a bit unexpected not to mention I just finished getting him more stuff for his tank and a good amount of phoenix worms coming in for him tomorrow... apart from that he is eating/pooping/alert/active and anything that is his normal behavior. Thats why Im asking because he really doesn't look sick. There isnt any mucus in his nose or mouth.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some beardies have a slight yellowish tint to the inside of the mouth. If you're afraid that he may be getting an R.I., keep his temps. warm at night, around 82 to help fight it off....it this doesn't help in a few days you might need a trip to the vet as was mentioned, the may prescribe Baytril for him. Hopefully he'll be O.K.

Murlocs

Original Poster
AHBD":2twry1ct said:
Some beardies have a slight yellowish tint to the inside of the mouth. If you're afraid that he may be getting an R.I., keep his temps. warm at night, around 82 to help fight it off....it this doesn't help in a few days you might need a trip to the vet as was mentioned, the may prescribe Baytril for him. Hopefully he'll be O.K.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to take him in to get checked out regardless to see how he is doing health wise. I dont get paid for another week, so im going to try and see what I can do for my little guy. He's eating great tho and his temp is around 103 on basking spot and 80 on the cool side. I dont know how he could possibly get RI(If he has it) and sadly I never checked inside his mouth when I got him so the color is what really thru me off as I didnt know if it was something new or it was already like that.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look abnormal to me. A problem would present itself with swelling, excess mucous, and redness in my experience.

Murlocs

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2eiqn5s8 said:
That doesn't look abnormal to me. A problem would present itself with swelling, excess mucous, and redness in my experience.
Thanks once again cooper. The only thing is that he makes a popping sound(not always) when exhaling and licks his lips a lot. This guy is going to kill me from stress. Idk what to do anymore but post on here hoping someone with more experience would help me out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's what they do; kill us from stress. Just watch closely. If you see abnormal behavior, ask about it. If you see a black beard for an extended period, go to the vet. Otherwise let them do their thing or you'll totally lose it. ;^)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
(I say this as I have slept every night on my couch facing my new rescue and waking up every 2hrs or so to take temps)

Murlocs

Original Poster
CooperDragon":o6z4qqhc said:
(I say this as I have slept every night on my couch facing my new rescue and waking up every 2hrs or so to take temps)

https://vimeo.com/m/100474724

There's the link to the vid I took of him. He keeps licking his mouth and letting out a deep exhale. Kind of like if he was stuffed or something. :/

I read this in another forum and if that's what's going on with murks I'd be so relieved. He is rubbing his head on about any surface(glass, basking log, cave, and finger)

"Richard gapes if he's shedding his head and his nostrils are plugged up. There are pictures on this site of nostril shed, which are unbelievable the first time you see them. If they can't breathe through their nose their only option is to breathe through their mouth, and that can dry the inside of their mouth out just like it does a person. Hence the smacking. If you see a little bitty piece of skin poking out of a nostril, give it a little tug and see if it's ready to come out. You may experience the joy of extracting a 1/2" long thing that looks like a talon out of their nose. They don't love this, but they're so much happier afterwards!"

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
SUCH a cute little guy! The info on the plugged nostrils is kind of correct. I don't suggest yanking on it though because it can be attached to the membrane in the nose and cause problems if it's ripped out. If it's ready to go it can usually be pulled out by rubbing the nose with a wet q-tip. The face scratching/rubbing is a hint that this may be the issue. The hissing on a guy that small though may just be relocation stress or a fright at someone so much bigger making a sudden move. It's hard to say for sure. The little guy looks healthy at first glance though.

Murlocs

Original Poster
CooperDragon":14xfbmb7 said:
SUCH a cute little guy! The info on the plugged nostrils is kind of correct. I don't suggest yanking on it though because it can be attached to the membrane in the nose and cause problems if it's ripped out. If it's ready to go it can usually be pulled out by rubbing the nose with a wet q-tip. The face scratching/rubbing is a hint that this may be the issue. The hissing on a guy that small though may just be relocation stress or a fright at someone so much bigger making a sudden move. It's hard to say for sure. The little guy looks healthy at first glance though.

Thanks a lot man I feel a bit relieved, both me and my girlfriend are keeping an eye on our little one. I'll keep you updated on how he's doing tomorrow. Let's see how he enjoys the shipment of Phoenix worms coming tomorrow. As for the shedding I'll let it take it's own course.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They can worry you to death, I agree! :oops:
The yellowish tint on the glottis area is normal. Some have more pigmentation than others do, so I feel that is normal.
I am sure that the shedding will work itself out pretty soon. He probably can't breathe real well.

Let us know how he is doing. He is little cutie pie.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Beardies can get an R.I sometimes from aspirating a bit of water if they are being soaked. If you soak him for hydration that's a possibility. Also it can happen if your house + his tank are humid, especially if you keep a water bowl in the tank. A small water bowl is fine usually and doesn't raise humidity much but most beardies don't drink from standing water although they can be trained to.

Murlocs

Original Poster
AHBD":1y4rhule said:
Beardies can get an R.I sometimes from aspirating a bit of water if they are being soaked. If you soak him for hydration that's a possibility. Also it can happen if your house + his tank are humid, especially if you keep a water bowl in the tank. A small water bowl is fine usually and doesn't raise humidity much but most beardies don't drink from standing water although they can be trained to.

Still trying to figure out how I can train him to drink from still water lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom