HELP! Is it ok turn heat lamp off and keep UVB on for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
is it possible for me to turn off the basking light and just keep the UVB light on?
My room is like hell right now. Its 91degrees in my room which makes all 3 of my beardys tanks alot hotter then they usually are. There basking temps are above 110 right now and there cool side is 93degrees so they dont have a cool side which Im worried about cuz they seem to be looking for a cooler area.
So I turned off the basking light on one of my dragons tanks & put the uvb where the basking light usually is. & without the basking light the temp where my Dragon basks is still 97degrees. So wouldnt that be okay to do for now? Because the basking light is just a heat source, the UVB light is the one that puts of nutrients and things. Please get back to me ASAP!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, turn thm off. They can stand cooler temps. better than overheating. Is there another room or a cellar to put them in that is cooler ? This will be a problem for you through the summer, but they are better off without the basking light on. If you can find a 25 watt just for extra light, or even a 40 to bump up the temp. only on one side for about 2 hours a day that would work, too. But you might see if you can keep them in another room. Poor you + poor beardies !

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok thank god! I live in the so called "Projects" so we dont have a cellar. We do have and attic but we can't keep them up there, sometimes wild birds and squirrels go in their. Yea its going be soo hard this summer.
I have two 5month old dragons and one 8week old dragon.
The two 5month olds I think are okay, with no basking light on both of there tanks go to 95 in the basking area.
But what about the 8week old? I know babies need it hotter like 100-110? Would it be okay to still turn off his basking light if it reachs 96degrees (what it said)?

& even though the temps are at 95degrees in there tanks with no basking light, will they still beable to digest there food without a basking light?

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Can you get a screen or mesh cage, like a reptarium, and keep them outdoors while temperatures are this high? They do still need a warmer area to bask in, but they also need to be able to cool down. A mesh cage with a shaded area outside might be a way to keep your temps inside coolers for you and let your beardies get some natural sun and heat in a less intense way.

-Jen

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
All my tanks have a screen top. But there heavy tanks because there like fish tanks and have alot of things inside them. And like I said abouve I live in the "Projects" not that safe of and area. So I would be nervous if someone came along and took them or thought be funny to smash the tank or something. I think what Im going to do, is turn them on and off for the day. On for and hour, off for two, on for hour, off for two. Then tomorrow go get like a 20watt bulb for all there tanks for it will put off alittle extra heat. Next week is suppose be in the low 70s so it will be nice and I can go back to having everything like I normally do.

Im just worried about my 8week old HypoLeather. I dont want him getting sick. And seems like one of my 5month olds are either trying get away from the heat or find more heat because hes on his cold side scratching. He never goes over there to hangout though he just goes over there time to time to scratch at the glass

Killzone3265

Juvie Member
it'd would be best to keep them in the coolest room of your house, like how i have skittles set up in the corner of my basement

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope you got it all cooled down for them.
Hopefully it will cool off some for you all there. Using a lower wattage should be fine.
In regards to the pupils, they can sustain damage if their pupils are dilated under dimmer lighting. So when using a UVB the bright light helps keep their pupils constricted to protect the pupils from the UVB.

Tracie

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh wow I did not know that!!! How long can it take to damage them? Because the day I wrote this post I turned off there basking lights on and off throught the day but kept the UVB on. Tomorrow its suppose be in the low 70s well atleast I Hope sooo. I had my dragons using a 75watt, 40watt, 60watt. So I kept one of the dragons using the 40watt and grabbed two other 40s. and I also grabbed two 15watt bulbs for the days its insanely hotttt. I was mostly worried about my 2month old dragon being young and in a 29gallon tank because if my other two dragons are each in 40gallon breeders and there cool side is at 90degrees then his 29gallon tank has to be CRUCIAL on the coolside and hotside. But I did everything I had to, was alot of work and sweating but I made sure they were okay.
My neighbor came over to watch the game with me and he was like "Wow I never seen someone soo dedicated to a lizard or any Animal. Your sitting there sweating bullets look like you took a shower and yet you have two fans you can be using to help cool youself down but instead you have the fans pointing in there tanks for there cool down"
I just want the best for them. If I have 10$ and I have no food to eat and they dont either, then there have 10$ worth of food once I get home. If Im extremely hot to point Im sick and so are they, then Ill be the only one extremely sick because the heat because I will keep the fans and every source I can to cool them down.
What can I say, I loveeeee my dragons :) . I look at it as Im a recoverying addict. & the number 1 reason for relaspe is being bored and having nothing to do. So because of them I have a hobby I can sit there and do research and play with them and change there tank and take care of there live food. So Im not bored which means Im not worrying about doing things I should not be doing and I thank them for that. It might sound stupid to you guys........But it has meaning to me and thats all that counts! But thank you for the help!

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom