HELP! I'm new at this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

minks

So I just got this Beardie on Saturday from a family who had him secluded because of a crazy dog! The woman I got him from said he hadn't had crickets since Tuesday but he was eating greens. He was very active Sunday. A lady at a pet store said he might be bored with crickets and to try meal worms. He ate the meal worms and seemed to enjoy them and was very active for the remainder of Sunday. This morning he was alert and ate his greens and I switched his lighting and went to work. When I came home he was off the log he basks in and laying flat on the floor. He's cool to the touch and I don't know if I should turn his night lamp on or keep his basking light on him? I am nervous! What's going on with this poor guy?!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from Website Comments to Health (until it's determined to be something else)]

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
How is he doing? Bearded dragons move from cold to warm side during the day to regulate their temps- somtimes mine feels cooler when she's been on cold side and temps in my viv are correct- 111F basking spot, 76 cool side. I would stay away from meal worms, they can cause impaction. My beardie is usually less active by the time i get in from work but i know she is usually active during the day so i don't worry- monitor him on the weekend when your off work to see if he is active. You will soon get to know his traits and behaviour- hopefully this will be nothing to worry about.

P.s. Are you using a UVB, if so what kind?
Have you measured the temps? (more accurate with a digital probe or temp gun)

minks

Original Poster
I really think it was his temps. I went and bought a 75W basking bulb. He has been good. I haven't seen him laying weird like that since I switched it. I also gave him a bath, that really woke him up! He has not eaten greens since Tuesday, but he's eating roughly 70 crickets in the past 2 days! I do have a UVB bulb, its a 15W exo Terra reptiglo 5.0. I was going to replace it but I didn't know the difference between the UVB 2.0, 5.0, and 10.0. Thank you for your input!

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
minks":1yvoozvj said:
I really think it was his temps. I went and bought a 75W basking bulb. He has been good. I haven't seen him laying weird like that since I switched it. I also gave him a bath, that really woke him up! He has not eaten greens since Tuesday, but he's eating roughly 70 crickets in the past 2 days! I do have a UVB bulb, its a 15W exo Terra reptiglo 5.0. I was going to replace it but I didn't know the difference between the UVB 2.0, 5.0, and 10.0. Thank you for your input!

Some can be picky with their greens, just keep offering them. Also if you got him on saturday, he'll still be settling in which can affect appetite- 70 crickets is good considering he's just moved house. The best UVB is reptisun 10 (tube) or arcadia 12% UVB (UK). They need to be able to get within 6-8 inches of the uvb. The repltiglo 5.0 and 10.0 aren't very useful for beardies as they don't emit enough UVB. I use the arcadia and a 100w basking bulb in my 3foot viv- ive found that those give the perfect temperatures. I would suggest getting a digital thermometer with probe (which are fairly cheap) to keep an eye on the temps :D

how olds your BD? older BD's need to eat less crickets and more greens. too many crickets at a older age can rot there liver due to the protein, a older bearded dragon should be given veg everyday and crickets no bigger than the space inbettween there eyes 3 times a week. also most worms should be given to your BD occasionally as there very fattening. and night time temps can go quite low without effecting health. idk if i help but i hope i did and im sorry, i don't mean to sound like a know it all i quite new myself but i have read almost every BD artical i could find about everything i could think of :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom