HELP! - how do I get tank heat up?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Ok, so I haven't checked Fred's temps in a while because the thing that shows you the temps, (forgot how to spell it, sorry! :oops: ) is on the right side of his tank on the outside so I don't notice it much, well, I went over to it and it said: 85.7! I read that 95 is the temp that helps them digest. Please help, I don't know how to raise the temps so my little Fred can digest, he's a small baby and I'm not sure if 85F is good for him!! :banghead:

-if this is in wrong place, I'm really sorry, I am rushing because I'm worried. :(-

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Hi there! First, do you have a thermometer with a probe on the end to take the temps for his basking spot inside the enclosure? What kinds of lights are you using? UVB? Type, brand? Tube, coil? Can you lower the basking bulb? What wattage is the basking bulb?

Is there any way that you can get correct readings for Fred's basking spot and cool side? 95 is minimum for digestion from what I understand but a baby needs about 100-105 maybe? To bask in. My little guy doesn't like it to be much over the 102 range. First you have to be able to get an accurate reading of his temps...

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KristineM":dtbc7bwr said:
Hi there! First, do you have a thermometer with a probe on the end to take the temps for his basking spot inside the enclosure? What kinds of lights are you using? UVB? Type, brand? Tube, coil? Can you lower the basking bulb? What wattage is the basking bulb?

Is there any way that you can get correct readings for Fred's basking spot and cool side? 95 is minimum for digestion from what I understand but a baby needs about 100-105 maybe? To bask in. My little guy doesn't like it to be much over the 102 range. First you have to be able to get an accurate reading of his temps...
Oh, I think I made a mistake, the probe is a bit far from his basking spot, yes it's a thermometer with a probe, and when I moved it near his basking spot and the temps are raising a bit 86.6 now, but UVB yes, repisun 10.0 tube, I'm not sure of the wattage though. And I don't know how to lower it, it's on the top of his tank, on a screen top. My mom says it the correct screen. And we can't get a temp gradient. We are a bit low on money now, and i dont know the average price of a 40-55G i know its the best for him, but i dont have much money in my pig bank... but I will tell my mom to look out for those petco 1$ a gallon sales so we can get a 40 gallon breeder ASAP. I'm so sorry I can't get the wattage or the cool side/hot side, I'm only 11 and my parents are low on money. :( I wanna provide the best care for my little guy.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
The probe needs to be directly on his basking spot for 45 minutes to an hour (I believe) to get an accurate reading. Can you do that now? Is Fred able to get closer to the bulb perhaps? Something to climb up on?

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KristineM":2mxf671m said:
The probe needs to be directly on his basking spot for 45 minutes to an hour (I believe) to get an accurate reading. Can you do that now? Is Fred able to get closer to the bulb perhaps? Something to climb up on?
Yes, he has his cactus, do I put the probe ON his cactus? Or like behind it? I can do whatever is needed. Acutally, it's behind the cactus right now.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Yes. To get an accurate reading of his basking temp you will have to place the probe directly on the spot. The suggested basking temps for a baby are actually between 105 and 110 (at least that is what I just read). Either way 95 is a must for proper digestion. Will Fred bask on top of the cactus?

I'm sure someone with much better experience will come along sometime soon. I will give as much advice and direction as I can. Also, searching the discussion forums will provide you with amazing information.

Good luck and let us know how it's going!

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KristineM":2ht9l1hj said:
Yes. To get an accurate reading of his basking temp you will have to place the probe directly on the spot. The suggested basking temps for a baby are actually between 105 and 110 (at least that is what I just read). Either way 95 is a must for proper digestion. Will Fred bask on top of the cactus?

I'm sure someone with much better experience will come along sometime soon. I will give as much advice and direction as I can. Also, searching the discussion forums will provide you with amazing information.

Good luck and let us know how it's going!
Oh trust me! He's on there like 50% of the day, the other parts are chasing crickets and popping. :lol:

But, I have a question, he's usually at the top of his cactus, and I put the probe on the 'second' part of his cactus, should I move the probe to th top where he usually is?

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, to test his basking temp you would put it ON exactly where he basks. You still need the temps of the rest of his enclosure too. Aside from figuring out the temps, is everything else ok? Eating, pooping, bathing, keeping him hydrated?

Hope everything is figured out! Keep us updated :)

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Wow...I never even thought we were discussing the inside temp being that high. Hopefully I pointed out "basking spot" enough. Thanks for bringing that up!

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Goodtruant":305nljya said:
You want the surface of his basking spot to be 100-110, not the air temp. Be careful with that, I think some think that the air temp at the basking spot needs to be 100-110, that could make the basking spot hot enough to burn a beardie. IR temp guns are the absolute best way to get surface temps.

I use this one...cheap and accurate. http://www.amazon.com/Compass-Temperature-Infrared-Thermometer-Laser/dp/B008347K1M/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1369463608&sr=1-3&keywords=Temperature+Gun
Thanks! I told my mom earlier today when we were feeding him, she said she knows and we are going to get one soon, I'll show her that one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom