*HELP* He's not eating! Is this relocation stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my 3rd day with my dragon bender and yesterday and the day before he was going through crickets happily and eating salad and crickets out of my hand. Now he won't even eat crickets when I dangle them in front of his face (yes they are alive). Is relocation stress to blame? He's about 2 months old and any help is appreciated. This may not be a big deal, but I'm a first time owner so I don't know what to expect. Thanks for your help if you reply!

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Yes it is probably relocation stress. The first night I had Darwin he ate great. The next 3 days he only at 5 crickets a day. Slowly went up from there, to where he is now eating about 5-7 1/2" dubia roaches a feeding. Give him some time and space (don't handle him too much) and hopefully by the end of the first full week you've had him he'll get better at feeding. It took Darwin 2 full weeks before he was gorging himself. Patience is key!

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
FfelixalEx":38a1r6f5 said:
Ok thanks I haven't held him yet... Tomorrow is day five and I'm planning on holding him then.

That sounds like it should be long enough. Remember to be gentle but firm. Try to scoop him up from the side instead of grabbing him from above. If he runs from you or hisses at you, just keep being patient but still pick him up. What I've found to be particularly effective is to pick him up after he's been asleep for a little while. Darwin normally would just snuggle into my hand, and it helped to get him used to being picked up. Now I can pick him up and, unless he's grumpy from shedding, he won't put up a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom