Help for a friend's gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Soo my bf's son has a leopard gecko who in my opinion does not look good. I only know about bearded dragon care so it's hard for me to help too much.

He has an UTH for one side and an overhead light but it's a tube light so I don't think there's any heat there. I'm going to get a digital thermometer to help check the temps next time I'm over. The gecko just seems sad and retains a lot of shed. His eyes are always squinty closed and has a bit of retained shed on one eyeball. I recently gave him a really good bath to loosen up some of the shed and get it off.

He drank like crazy when he was in the tub. What are there normally drinking routines? He's got a bowl on the cool side of the tank but I don't think he ever drinks out of it. He barely eats from what I can tell but has a pretty plump tail so I think that's okay. They feed him mealworms but I don't know if that's okay.

Please help. He's to the point of giving the gecko away because he feels helpless. Sandy is on carpet so there are no sand issues. He has a hide he likes to be under.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
sunkist":2a4ftta2 said:
Soo my bf's son has a leopard gecko who in my opinion does not look good. I only know about bearded dragon care so it's hard for me to help too much.

He has an UTH for one side and an overhead light but it's a tube light so I don't think there's any heat there. I'm going to get a digital thermometer to help check the temps next time I'm over. The gecko just seems sad and retains a lot of shed. His eyes are always squinty closed and has a bit of retained shed on one eyeball. I recently gave him a really good bath to loosen up some of the shed and get it off.

He drank like crazy when he was in the tub. What are there normally drinking routines? He's got a bowl on the cool side of the tank but I don't think he ever drinks out of it. He barely eats from what I can tell but has a pretty plump tail so I think that's okay. They feed him mealworms but I don't know if that's okay.

Please help. He's to the point of giving the gecko away because he feels helpless. Sandy is on carpet so there are no sand issues. He has a hide he likes to be under.

the setup sounds okay. does he have a humid hide for the little one to help the shed. if that doesn't work i've heard if you use saline solution on the tip of a qtip you can roll it around under the shed and help it on the way. uth is fine for a gecko, i'm not sure about the tube light. leos are nocturnal, so they don't need uvb, but it could be there to simulate the sun, so that may be okay. although i think too much uv on them is bad (not sure on that one). mealies are fine for geckos too...

check out www.geckoforums.net they might have some ideas.

oh yeah -- the temps should be between 85-95ish on the hot side near or in the hot hide, and 80s on the cool side. this is all from prior research because i'm getting a pair of female leos (sisters) next week.

good luck 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom