HELP: Fire Skink Hatchlings!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here's a screenshot from the webcam in their viv from just before 1:00 PM today. Millie is eating on the left hand side of the screen and you can see Fred in background on the right hand side. So both are out and about today and seem to have recovered from the stress of all the disturbances in their viv over the past few days.

41729-9511518105.jpg

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, I may have spoken too soon about Millie and Fred doing fine. While both have been out and about, only Millie seems to be eating. I've gone back through the webcam footage from the past few days and I've been watching the live feed for most of today and while Fred is definitely out and active (even mugging it up for the camera in the clip below), he is definitely NOT eating. Since he is actually the female and the one laying all the eggs, I am worried about him not getting enough nutrition. Any thoughts on what I can do to get him to eat?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZIC3lZaiuETpgWS92

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Maybe just wasn't hungry for what was available. Can you try a different food item ? Can you take Millie out to see if Fred will eat if she's left alone ? And how much of a size difference would you say there is between them ? It's also possible that she's going to lay another clutch. Beardies stop eating a few days to a week before laying, I don't know if it happens with fireskinks but it may be a possibility.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2qan5olj said:
Maybe just wasn't hungry for what was available. Can you try a different food item ? Can you take Millie out to see if Fred will eat if she's left alone ? And how much of a size difference would you say there is between them ? It's also possible that she's going to lay another clutch. Beardies stop eating a few days to a week before laying, I don't know if it happens with fireskinks but it may be a possibility.

I just received a new shipment of feeders today, so I will see if Fred is interested in some hornworms. I also have some canned crickets, but I hate using those because they are SUPER gross.

I would say Millie is at least half-again as large as Fred. In that screenshot I posted yesterday, you can see Millie eating and she is quite chunky. In that video I posted in my previous post, you can get a good idea of Fred's size/condition, since he comes right up to the camera.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully her appetite will pick up, there should not be such a big size difference. Let those hornworms get nice + big ! What lizard can resist a juicy hornworm ? :)

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1z81wsms said:
Hopefully her appetite will pick up, there should not be such a big size difference. Let those hornworms get nice + big ! What lizard can resist a juicy hornworm ? :)

I took two screenshots from the webcam today. It shows both Fred and Millie in similar positions inside their viv so you can get a sense of their size difference. I think you can see that Millie is much bigger.

41729-1034624568.jpg
41729-3064964265.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom