HELP!! Female won't stop laying....

Status
Not open for further replies.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
I'm Losing her I'm afraid, because she wont stop to eat or drink!! So Miss Fatty laid her 1st clutch of approx 20-25 eggs around May 29. I found crushed eggs all over her cage after I returned home from spending about 5 days outta town due to my mom being suddenly diagnosed w/ pancreatic cancer & having surgery. Had no idea when I left my girl was gravid. A month later, clutch #2 comes, 19 in all & r in the incubator except for sum I've lost due to collapse. We've had almost 2 weeks of temps over 100F. One day it got up to 107 deg F & we're sweltering. Fatty is 4 yrs old, this is her 1st time laying. I thot she was dun but on July 1st her digging behavior returned. I had JUST returned home as my mom passed away on June 25th. I really did not expect a 3rd clutch so here's the problem. She lay the 1st two eggs of the 3rd clutch on July 4th. Every single day since then she's lay between one & three eggs! That's 6 days of constant digging, glass dancing & finally laying eggs! We're up to 13 eggs and no signs of stopping. She stopped eating greens days ago. Will stop for a few crickets and she does eat then with gusto. She'd been drinking lots of water up till ntoday. Every afternoon I get her out, give her a warm bath and try to rehydrate her. Started her on Pedialyte 3 days ago as her bones started to show. Her spine, tailbones & now just today, the bones of her skull on top of her head r sticking out. She'd very dehydrated & won't eat anything but crickets. If I can't get her to take water now I'm REALLY worried sick. How long can this go on? How long can she keep laying? Every single egg of this third clutch has been bad & I've had to toss them. They're small, yellow & very soft & slithery feeling, not like the others in the incubator at all. I know she's losing nutrients but she won't stop digging long enuff to eat. That's all she cares about now & I'm afraid I'm gonna lose her! No more Miss Fatty -- more like Twiggy now. :(( :banghead: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, FAST!!

jsnsan

Juvie Member
Oh no. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this in addition to your mother's illness.
I'm sure someone will jump on here with help soon. But, you may need to consider taking her to the vet for some answers.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank u 4 answering so soon! Of course I've thot about it but have a problem w/ that too. My car was stolen, on all days my birthday, March 1st so I have no transportation. It's like pulling a tooth just to get a ride w/ sum1 to go to the grocery store! I'm disabled too & am supposed to go to court tomorrow AM 4 the guy who stole my car. He's in jail but my cars not drivable unfortunately. At least they caught him tho. Anyway when it rains it pours & between my mom dying, my poor dragon going crazy & all this mess w/ my car I just wanna stick my head under a rock & hide for a week. I've got several beardies & Uromastyx & have kept them for 15 yrs or so. My vet recommended the Pedialyte but w/o transportation I can't actually get to him. Hopefully sum1 will answer me!! PLEASE DO if u think u can help I'd greatly appreciate it!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm really, really sorry about all of these tragedies, my deepest condolences to you for your mom ! Lots of sad things happening to you all at once, oh how stressful ! Some tips for your beardie....does she have an actual lay box ? She may do better in a secluded private area. Offer water via syringe or eyedropper. If you can get chicken or squash baby food, see if she'll eat some of that. if she'll eat crickets, be sure they are calcium dusted....give as many as she wants. Since she is a multiple clutch layer, offer AS MUCH food in between clutches as she will eat . If you can get hornworms, they really can put the weight on, and are full of moisture and calcium. Hopefully she will get all the laying done soon....you both need a break.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thx 4 responding. Ur rite -- we both need a huge break. I feel like I'm about to lose it but still sumhow hangin on. Today 3 more eggs have come. As I look up at her now, she is furiously digging, as she has been all day. Idk where these eggs r coming from! She's so skeletal that it duznt seem possible 4 her to still b laying. I'm totally dumbfounded. I thot they wud lay a single clutch in 2-3 days but certainly no more than four. She may b setting a Guiness World Record here! Yes she has a lay box but absolutely HATES it. She does much better in her cage & since the eggs r no good & I can't save them I figured it didn't matter if she laid them in her cage. She's not lay a single one in the nest box after being in there for hours but when I take her out & put her bak in her cage, she'll lay almost immediately. This has happened 3x now so it seems futile to keep putting her in the nest since she won't lay there. She lay all of her entire 2nd clutch in the same nest (this one is fresh of course, not left over from b4) so I don't see why she won't accept it this time. She ate a LOT of crickets today and I am dusting them every time I feed her which is several times a day. At least she's eating those but still refuses the greens. She was even chomping on a cricket as an egg was popping out of her! It's crazy. Is like she duznt wanna b still enuff to eat her greens but chasing crickets, digging & laying can all b done at the same time! She had 6 small med droppers full of Pedialyte today which she is starting to like now. My other dragons love it! I usually put a large shallow bowl on the floor every day & let each dragon have some free time out running around. The sun streams in thru my storm door which has NO GLASS & NO SCREEN any more so it's just unfiltered sun coming in from about 2 PM to dusk & they"ll sit in the water bowl sumtimes 4 over an hour at the time each, basking too. Today she refused to sit in the water. When I got her out all she wanted to do was run around & not bathe or bask so I took her happy lil ass to the bath tub where she'd HAVE to sit in the water! She settled down & had a 30-min bath and drank quite frequently as well. Then she did a HUGE poop (idk where THAT came from either & afterwards she looked truly emaciated). I'll try to get the baby food tomorrow & give that a try. I had a very ripe banana today & mushed that up but she refused that too. My other dragons loved it tho so, idk. I just think she's so preoccupied w/ laying shes not even thinking about eating. She's always been a HUGE eater since she was born, well hatched, and we didn't name her Miss Fatty for no reason! She was the largest of the entire 58-egg clutch but u sure wudnt no it now. I feel so bad 4 her and am trying everything I can to save her. If she'd just stop laying eggs, we'll b fine! Idk how much longer she can keep producing eggs really & didn't no it cud go on this long ! Thx again 4 ur help. Will keep u posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom