HELP Dragon Listless & Does Not Want To Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpius

Dragon Listless & Does Not Want To Eat
I have a Female Bearded Dragon , she is appx 2 years old, She normally eats like a pig and spends her day glass dancing and basking under the heat bulb. She poops great and all looked healthy

Temps are fine 105 basking area 70s cool area, she normally eats everything but for the past month things have changed.

The only bad thing I did notice was her UVB bulb died for a couple of weeks before I noticed so she was w/o it for 2 weeks (shes a bottom tank and has multiple lights so I only noticed when I crouched down so I am bringing her outside for 15 min a day to get direct sun untill new bulb arrives

She did a big shed on her back and belly and all seemed fine but then For the last couple of weeks I noticed she has lost all her appetite and is pretty sluggish,

She normaly poops regular and does great normal looking poops

the last few days she seems to poop w/o controll when she gets nervous and even pooped on my leg a few times.

Since she has not been eating I noticed she now goes off her basking rock a few times a day to her poop paper to try to poop but she just does a tiny yellow/ white blob with a very thin stringy brown poop as thin as a thread or super thin spaggetti.

I noticed a little blood around the spout when she tried to poop today as though she is straining herself. I massaged a little oil around the area and have been giving her warm baths.

I do not feel an impaction anywhere in her and when I force fed her some mashed butternut squash a few days before this she did normal dragon poop of the right shape and texture

I did not notice any digging behaviour just glass dancing so do not think she is egg bound as she is too young yet (2 yrs) to produce eggs?

Is she going into brumation?

Is it possible she is egg bound w/o any earlier observed behaviour like digging, etc and I should make an egg box for her asap?
Any tips on what to do?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....she is definitely old enough to produce eggs. Some do it in their first year. So yes, get her a lay box ASAP. Instructions can be found at the top of the page in the breeding forum under the tutorial " what to do if your dragon lays eggs " She may need to be seen by a vet if she can't pass her eggs, or just to be sure, a vet can take an x-ray...this will show if she has eggs. If your vet does take an x-ray and is unsure of what he sees [ this does happen ] you can Google bearded dragon x-ray with eggs and there will be a picture of what it looks like.

scorpius

Original Poster
I am sorry to say a few hours after I made this post my female dragon died.

It was horrible, she woke up in the upright position that she had been sleeping in and inflated like a beach ball and looked like she was trying to pass something,

not sure what it was but it was very soft & small and looked like a soft white yellow brain not an egg.

I took her to the sink for a warm bath in the hopes of a smooth passing of the material and it was just a tiny soft thing that came right out, she then became terrified and in pain and started to convulse in horrible positions and lots of open mouth and beard flapping

She then became limp so I brought her back to her tank and grabbed a container and sand to make an egg box, I placed her in it with a ready made hole for her to lay but if it was an egg bound problem it was too late she lifted her head opened her mouth and gasped out some air a few times within a 15 minute period then passed away.

It all looked terribly painful for such an innocent creature to go through and I will not forget it , my poor male in the next tank bobbed his head at her waiting for a responce he never got while I carried her away to bury her.

I wish I had just spent the last few minutes of her life holding her to give comfort.

I wish it was me and not her

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so, so sorry that your dragon went through such a terrible ordeal and that you had to see that. I can't imagine how shocking and grievious that was, and I'm so sorry! Please don't be upset with yourself, our pets go through things that rench our hearts, they all die but sometimes it's in a way that just breaks our hearts. Stay strong, your other dragon needs you, and you will get over this, it wasn't your fault and she is out of any pain. Take care, and stay close to your friends + family and don't get overly upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom