HELP!!! Buying Entirely NEW Lighting system!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmyandVael

I'm Purchasing The Exo Terra Light Cycle Unit For My Beardies.

* Fits two fluorescent bulbs
* Dims fluorescent tubes (dusk and dawn effect!)
* Built-in timer
* Ideal for use with Exo Terra Repti Glo and other fluorescent bulbs
* More energy efficient than conventional ballasts or light strips
* No flickering; less stressful for reptiles and amphibians
* Water-resistant end-caps for maximum safety
* Long end-cap leads
* On/Off Switch"
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_cycle_unit.php

Information I NEED to know before I buy the UVB...

The Sun Or The Glo fluorescent Tubes? WHY? what makes the other superior?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
this question has been answered time and time again. search reptiglo or reptisun and you will find your answers

EmmyandVael

Original Poster
I've never seen any evidence on any of the post that shows how the sun is better. That's all I'm asking. Where did you find out that the Sun is better or the glow doesn't give off UVB? why would a company make a UVB light that doesn't emit UVB? I've heard from pet store owners (the good kind who are breeders not the "ooo i read this once kind") That there is almost no difference except for the cost. If this question has been posted before please send me the link then. I didn't find one. Can someone send me a FACT sheet from a company or researcher that one is better then the other?
Thank you

Lou786912

I've seen from experience the Repti Glo 10.0 is not a good bulb. I've recently tried that bulb with my beardie and he is not a happy boy at all. It's known to not give off as strong UVB rays as the Repti Sun 10.0 and it's also said to be more harsh on their eyes.
When my beardie was in his smaller tank, he had a Repti Sun 10.0, he's now in his bigger one, and has a Repti Glo 10.0, he's constantly shutting his eyes and trying to hide from the light, so I'm buying the Repti Sun 10.0 tomorrow.

Just to be on the safe side for your beardie i'd fork out that extra money for the repti sun as if you read most topics here and in other forums, the Repti Glo is not a good light for them.

Hope this helps..

Louise x

spyder79

Extreme Poster
The reptiglo 8.0 is a goo dbulb but the reptiglo 10.0 puts out too much uva and causes many health problems both with bones and the eyes due to this output of UVA. The best "tube bulb" sources of UV light is the Reptisun 10.0 for us and the Arcadia for Europe. Personally i prefer the MVB lights because they are the closest thing you can get ot sunlight in a non outdoor environment. Most of the information we know about the ReptiGlo 10.0 is not really from studies and tests but from personal experiences where it was determined that the only outlying factor that caused the problems was the light. I highly suggest the ReptiSun 10.0 or a TRex active heat light (Mercury Vapor Bulb). it is purely up to you. If you have any questions please let me know either on here or via pm i will be glad to help as much as i can.

i would also like to apologize for the slightly rude response you got as your first response on this thread ie: search it. Some people see questions over and over again and get annoyed that it is constantly asked. But we have to remember that when someone is new to a forum they may not know how to completely use the search function and we also need to keep in mind that information can and does change so people start a new thread on it to get the most up to date information which is what is best for their beardie.

Good Luck

Brian
Cryptic Dragons (breeding for size and health not color)

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
spyder79":05a8b said:
i would also like to apologize for the slightly rude response you got as your first response on this thread ie: search it. Some people see questions over and over again and get annoyed that it is constantly asked. But we have to remember that when someone is new to a forum they may not know how to completely use the search function and we also need to keep in mind that information can and does change so people start a new thread on it to get the most up to date information which is what is best for their beardie.

Good Luck

Brian
Cryptic Dragons (breeding for size and health not color)

Now had I just said "search" as you are basically saying I did, then yes, it would have been rude. However I told him what to search for. That search would have brought up very good explanations of the issues and pros/cons of those bulbs. On top of that, I even gave him a link that could explain UV lighting better than any of us here. So, really, there is no need for you to apologize for my response.

**EDIT: I would like to point out that I am not attacking here. One of the biggest downfalls of internet forums, is that you don't get the tone in ones posts. My tone there was one of helping. I was simply trying to point him in the right direction.

EmmyandVael

Original Poster
Thank you for all your helpful information. I had ordered 2 Reptisuns from pet mountain that were on sale only to be disappointed that they cant ship to Canada. :(... As for the 'rude' post I don't care I just want whatever is best for my babies, just like everyone else I would think. If you don't have patience for people asking some of the same questions. Well... don't answer? :? But Back to my question...

Any Canadians have good online shops i can buy one from? Unfortunately I'm A student and work full time and I still cant afford a $50 bulb :\

Oh and if I had any complaints about this site it would be the 'search' feature!

Thanks Guys!!! ^_^

EmmyandVael

Original Poster
Ooooo... I just got my Light Cycle Unit Today... I plugged it into a regular florescent aquarium bulb to see how it works! so far so good... and I found 2 Reptisuns online that will ship to me for under $60 FOR BOTH!!!! You Guys Have Been SO helpful! Thats Why I Love This Site! When I Set Up My Tank Next Week I'll Show You How It Looks :)

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
well that sure is a fancy unit! I personally just used a timer that I paid 14 bucks for and a power strip($4). But yours probably has a bunch of cool gizmos with it!

And yes it is good that you got the repti-SUN as long as it is the 10.0 tube and not the coil

EmmyandVael

Original Poster
I have timers for everything right now and they work great. but i was upgrading from compact lights to tubes and it costs the same for a nice hood. So i thought I'd get the cooler looking timer/dimmer one :) And when I upgrade them to a bigger viv I can just get bigger bulbs and not worry about getting a new hood so it works in the long run for me... and it is so cool!!! :) I think they'll love it when It's set up next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom