HELP!! Bloody vomit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cremble

My 20 month old (1.67 yrs) male bearded dragon just vomited up a lot of blood. Some of the content appears to be a wax worm and a blueberry I fed him as treats yesterday. He has the reptisun 10.0 uvb compact bulb, but I'm going to change that ASAP to the reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube. He usually gets collard, mustard, turnip greens and butternut squash every day along with the occasional strawberry, blueberry as a treat. He eats 10-15 crickets once a day that are dusted usually once a week. He has a ceramic heat emitter on every night because our house gets quite cold. Here's some pictures of the vomit and of my dragon.

full

full

full

Any help is appreciated!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, did you see him vomit or could this be a poo ? Also....very important....how many strawberries + blueberries did he have ?

cremble

Original Poster
He had 1 blueberry, but I cut it in half. He also had two wax worms. And no, I did not see him vomit but I looked at his vent and there was no trace of anything there.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That seems like a lot of red but I think it's more likely to be poo. When they vomit they sling their head from side to side and it flings the vomit in a more scattered area. How is he acting ? It would be best to get him to a vet ASAP if that's truly blood.

cremble

Original Poster
He's acting relatively normal, i.e. basking. I really do think it's vomit, because on closer inspection I see cricket limbs which have never come out of his poop. I forgot to mention that he did not have any strawberries yesterday.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Have you ever fed him blueberries before ? I can't imagine it would make such color though. I don't know what else to tell you other than a visit to a reptile vet.

Good sign that he's acting alright.

cremble

Original Poster
Yes he has had blueberries before. Thank you for the reply, I will take him to a reptile vet.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
First off, that doesn't at all look like blood to me, but rather the remnants of blueberries or raspberries, whatever it was that he ate, and it does look like poop, as AHBD already mentioned, not vomit, as it looks like a small bit of urate present in it. When they either vomit blood or pass it in their stools, it either shows up as being extremely dark in color (almost black), or if it's from active, internal bleeding it shows up as extremely bright red, oxygenated blood. This doesn't at all look like blood, it's pinkish/purple. And if he recently ate either blueberries or raspberries, I'd bet that he had a bowel movement and passed them in his stool/urate, especially if he's acting "normally".

That being said, your dragon is extremely small for being 2.5 years old, and if you've had him under a compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb his entire life, and that is most likely on top of a mesh lid that is blocking 40% of the already far too weak UVB/UVA light for any Desert Reptile, let along a Bearded Dragon, that means that he has pretty much gotten no UVB or UVA light at all his entire life. This is the explanation for his stunted size and what is most likely a severe calcium deficiency and MBD. It's also most likely why he's not properly digesting his food, resulting in what you're seeing here. I'd ask you how old the compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb you have is (they stop emitting any UVB light at all at 6 months old and must be replaced) or how far away it is from his Basking Spot/Platform (they must be within about 4" unobstructed by the mesh or anything else to emit adequate UVB or UVA light to a Bearded Dragon), but just using a compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB light that is only 13 watts and is probably being blocked by a mesh lid means he's gotten no UVB or UVA light anyway, so the details of it's set-up or age don't really matter anyway. Also, you must dust his live insects in a Reptile-Grade calcium powder at least 4-5 times a week and in a Reptile-Grade Multivitamin at least 3 times a week for a Bearded Dragon's entire life; once a week is not nearly enough for either, but again, unless he's under a strong, adequate UVB tube that is unobstructed by a mesh lid/plastic safety cover on the tube fixture, is within the correct distance from his Basking Spot/Platform (T8 UVB tube needs to be within at least 6" and a much stronger T5 UVB tube, which is absolutely what you must buy him immediately, along with a matching length, T5-rated tube fixture with a metal reflector inside it, must be within at least 11" of his Basking Spot/Platform), and is replaced every 6 months for a weaker T8 tube and every 12 months for a much stronger T5 tube, then it doesn't matter how often you dust his insects in either powder, as he cannot absorb nor process/use any of it, it's simply being excreted in his bowel movements, along with most all of the vitamins, minerals, and nutrition he's eating in his food and supplements.

You really need to go onto Amazon.com (cheapest place by far) and order at least a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube or a 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube, along with a 24" (for either brand) T5-rated tube fixture for it immediately, as this is surely the start of the signs/symptoms of a severe calcium deficiency and MBD showing up, and he'll only get worse and worse. I don't know exactly how much the 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube costs, but on Amazon.com you can buy a 22" (shortest you should buy, don't bother with the 16" because the wattage is actually lower and he needs a very strong UVB tube to try to reverse any damage possible) a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube for around $24 and then the cheapest 24" tube fixture that is rated for a 24 watt, T5 tube that has a Metal Reflector included in it costs $28 on Amazon.com. So you can order both for around $50 shipped and have them within the week. For comparison, they don't sell the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO tubes in Petco or Petsmart, all they sell is either a package deal that includes a T5 rated light hood and a 5.0 T5HO UVB tube, which is only a 5% UVB tube and not much better than what you're using now, for $60, and then both Petco and Petsmart sell just an 18" Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB tube for $37.99 just for the tube without a fixture, and honestly, not only would it be silly to order a T8 UVB tube that is weaker and needs to be replaced every 6 months for almost as much money as the stronger, longer T5 10.0 tube and a fixture for it cost, but your Dragon really needs the stronger T5 UVB tube ASAP.

In the meantime, again I don't know how old the compact 10.0 UVB bulb you have is, but if it's less than 6 months old and it's not causing him any eye or neurological issues, you need to remove the mesh lid and get the bulb within at least 6" of him for the time being, until the adequate T5 UVB tube is shipped to you. If the compact 10.0 UVB bulb is over 6 months old then it's not emitting any UVB or UVA light anyway...

Please get him a T5 UVB tube and fixture ordered ASAP and get it set up over the Hot Side of his tank, right alongside his bright-white colored Basking Bulb (not end-to-end but both right alongside each other sharing the Hot Side of the tank), and then get his Basking Spot/Platform set up directly underneath both lights so that he gets both at the same time while he basks, this is replicating natural sunlight as closely as possible.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing tonight?
I don't think that looks like blood either, the color seems off. What do you feed your crickets?
I am glad you are changing out your UVB light, that will help him out immensely. He does need
calcium once daily, 4-5 times per week. He is an adult, but still needs calcium.
Has his beard been darker than normal recently?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Peep18

EllenD":l680elug said:
First off, that doesn't at all look like blood to me, but rather the remnants of blueberries or raspberries, whatever it was that he ate, and it does look like poop, as AHBD already mentioned, not vomit, as it looks like a small bit of urate present in it. When they either vomit blood or pass it in their stools, it either shows up as being extremely dark in color (almost black), or if it's from active, internal bleeding it shows up as extremely bright red, oxygenated blood. This doesn't at all look like blood, it's pinkish/purple. And if he recently ate either blueberries or raspberries, I'd bet that he had a bowel movement and passed them in his stool/urate, especially if he's acting "normally".

That being said, your dragon is extremely small for being 2.5 years old, and if you've had him under a compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb his entire life, and that is most likely on top of a mesh lid that is blocking 40% of the already far too weak UVB/UVA light for any Desert Reptile, let along a Bearded Dragon, that means that he has pretty much gotten no UVB or UVA light at all his entire life. This is the explanation for his stunted size and what is most likely a severe calcium deficiency and MBD. It's also most likely why he's not properly digesting his food, resulting in what you're seeing here. I'd ask you how old the compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb you have is (they stop emitting any UVB light at all at 6 months old and must be replaced) or how far away it is from his Basking Spot/Platform (they must be within about 4" unobstructed by the mesh or anything else to emit adequate UVB or UVA light to a Bearded Dragon), but just using a compact Reptisun 10.0 UVB light that is only 13 watts and is probably being blocked by a mesh lid means he's gotten no UVB or UVA light anyway, so the details of it's set-up or age don't really matter anyway. Also, you must dust his live insects in a Reptile-Grade calcium powder at least 4-5 times a week and in a Reptile-Grade Multivitamin at least 3 times a week for a Bearded Dragon's entire life; once a week is not nearly enough for either, but again, unless he's under a strong, adequate UVB tube that is unobstructed by a mesh lid/plastic safety cover on the tube fixture, is within the correct distance from his Basking Spot/Platform (T8 UVB tube needs to be within at least 6" and a much stronger T5 UVB tube, which is absolutely what you must buy him immediately, along with a matching length, T5-rated tube fixture with a metal reflector inside it, must be within at least 11" of his Basking Spot/Platform), and is replaced every 6 months for a weaker T8 tube and every 12 months for a much stronger T5 tube, then it doesn't matter how often you dust his insects in either powder, as he cannot absorb nor process/use any of it, it's simply being excreted in his bowel movements, along with most all of the vitamins, minerals, and nutrition he's eating in his food and supplements.

You really need to go onto Amazon.com (cheapest place by far) and order at least a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube or a 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube, along with a 24" (for either brand) T5-rated tube fixture for it immediately, as this is surely the start of the signs/symptoms of a severe calcium deficiency and MBD showing up, and he'll only get worse and worse. I don't know exactly how much the 24" Arcadia 12% T5 UVB tube costs, but on Amazon.com you can buy a 22" (shortest you should buy, don't bother with the 16" because the wattage is actually lower and he needs a very strong UVB tube to try to reverse any damage possible) a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube for around $24 and then the cheapest 24" tube fixture that is rated for a 24 watt, T5 tube that has a Metal Reflector included in it costs $28 on Amazon.com. So you can order both for around $50 shipped and have them within the week. For comparison, they don't sell the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO tubes in Petco or Petsmart, all they sell is either a package deal that includes a T5 rated light hood and a 5.0 T5HO UVB tube, which is only a 5% UVB tube and not much better than what you're using now, for $60, and then both Petco and Petsmart sell just an 18" Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB tube for $37.99 just for the tube without a fixture, and honestly, not only would it be silly to order a T8 UVB tube that is weaker and needs to be replaced every 6 months for almost as much money as the stronger, longer T5 10.0 tube and a fixture for it cost, but your Dragon really needs the stronger T5 UVB tube ASAP.

In the meantime, again I don't know how old the compact 10.0 UVB bulb you have is, but if it's less than 6 months old and it's not causing him any eye or neurological issues, you need to remove the mesh lid and get the bulb within at least 6" of him for the time being, until the adequate T5 UVB tube is shipped to you. If the compact 10.0 UVB bulb is over 6 months old then it's not emitting any UVB or UVA light anyway...

Please get him a T5 UVB tube and fixture ordered ASAP and get it set up over the Hot Side of his tank, right alongside his bright-white colored Basking Bulb (not end-to-end but both right alongside each other sharing the Hot Side of the tank), and then get his Basking Spot/Platform set up directly underneath both lights so that he gets both at the same time while he basks, this is replicating natural sunlight as closely as possible.
sorry to post on this topic (im not a expert but it dosent look like blood) but for ellen you seem to stress about the uvb which is know is important. i have this
https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-solar-glo-all-in-one/dp/124025?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Exo%20Terra&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JZlFKP4pxQBP-Io_4RBhKZKiBOS4vGTtfgP3dlUiulMEY1IruWL6YIaAjnbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
is that enough uvb for a 40gallon tank & young bearded dragon. i also have a little uvb bulb that came with the tank kit i dont use. should i double up or is the all in one solar glo fine?

cremble

Original Poster
Thank you all for the responses!
I hope he's at least been having some UVB exposure throughout his life, because before I got him I cut a rather large hole in the mesh lid to let the light get through.
The 22" t5 10.0 and fixture are on their way, and I'll make sure to get the multivitamin and dust his crickets more often. I truly appreciate all of your help.

I forgot to mention I made a typo on my first post. He is not 2.67 years old, he is 1.67 years old. Sorry for any confusion.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good. :) I'm sure he's had some uvb, couldn't develop stable bones + grow like he has without it.

cremble

Original Poster
Drache613":34hrxtwq said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing tonight?
I don't think that looks like blood either, the color seems off. What do you feed your crickets?
I am glad you are changing out your UVB light, that will help him out immensely. He does need
calcium once daily, 4-5 times per week. He is an adult, but still needs calcium.
Has his beard been darker than normal recently?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

I feed my crickets the fluker's high calcium cricket diet and fluker's cricket quencher, along with the scraps from his greens. He has been acting like his normal self, no dark beard.
Thank you for your response!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Peep18":23pptdns said:
EllenD":23pptdns said:

sorry to post on this topic (im not a expert but it dosent look like blood) but for ellen you seem to stress about the uvb which is know is important. i have this
https://www.chewy.com/exo-terra-solar-glo-all-in-one/dp/124025?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Exo%20Terra&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JZlFKP4pxQBP-Io_4RBhKZKiBOS4vGTtfgP3dlUiulMEY1IruWL6YIaAjnbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
is that enough uvb for a 40gallon tank & young bearded dragon. i also have a little uvb bulb that came with the tank kit i dont use. should i double up or is the all in one solar glo fine?

Your SolarGlo is a Mercury Vapor Bulb, so it's an all-in-one bulb that emits both UVB/UVA and heat/basking light, but unfortunately, of all the MVB lights on the market, the SolarGlo is rated by far the weakest of them all, and in my opinion and in the opinion of a lot of others on this forum (based on the Solarmeter tests done on the bulb) the SolarGlo is not at all adequate for a Bearded Dragon in the amount of UVB or UVA that it emits. It's fine for a Tropical Reptile that doesn't need strong, intense UVB light, but for a Bearded Dragon they are not at all recommended.

If you want to stick to a Mercury Vapor Bulb and not go to a long UVB tube and a separate bright-white colored Basking Bulb for the heat and basking light, I very highly recommend that you purchase a MegaRay MVB light that is the same wattage that you're using now (Assuming that all 3 of your temperature zones are being kept within the correct ranges by the wattage of SolarGlo you're currently using). For a 40 Gallon Breeder tank you want the 100 watt MegaRay, as the other option is the 160 watt MegaRay, and it will be way too hot for a 40 Gallon Breeder tank. The MegaRay will fit in the current light fixture you're using for the SolarGlo, and it needs to be within about the same distance of his Basking Spot/Platform as the SolarGlo does, I believe most people keep their MVB bulbs between 12"-16" away from the Basking Spot/Platform, depending on the Basking Spot Surface Temperature readings you get after you set the MegaRay up.

The other really good (more expensive though) MVB light for Dragons is the Arcadia MVB light, so that's another option. I'm honestly not very familiar with the PowerSun MVB light, though I know people who use it without any issues, but I've heard nothing but excellent reviews and seen wonderful results from the MegaRay, so that's the one I recommend as far as MVB lights go. Either way, I'd seriously get rid of the SolarGlo ASAP, as I've personally seen severe calcium deficiency and MBD in Bearded Dragons that have been under the SolarGlo since they were babies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I definitely agree that the solarglo isnt the best.
My tegu (entirely different reptile but same case with lights) was active underneath it, however once i got the megaray she really started growing and being active. She gained about 100 grams within a month (170 to 275 or so), i doubt she would have gained that much underneath just the solarglo since the megaray really seemed to make her appetite go up a lot as well.
Personally i still have the solarglo and plan to use it till it burns out, but mostly it just acts as more light on the cool end and raises the surface temps to around 80 or so over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom