Help Bella

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a female beardie who is slightly older than 3 years . I've had her since she was a baby and am aware of proper care, temps, feeding etc . She is offered her daily spring mix along with meal worms 3-4 times a week .

She's beggining to become sluggish , she is not very active at all and it seems like the only time shes moving is to eat .
So today I tried to feed her and she wanted nothing to do with greens or her live food . I figured maybe she was just having an off day until 5 minutes ago when she projectile vomited this white liquidy substance . There was so much force that it hit the one side of her tank and splashed all the way to the other side .

I'm not quite sure what could have caused this , or what I should do . Any suggestions ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

So you witnessed Bella throwing up?

What are the temps in your tank? How are you measuring them?
What is in this spring mix salad you give her?
Is there any reason you feed mealworms instead of a healthier feeder? Mealworms have little nutritional value. Also, how many mealworms do you give, and do you give daily or every few days?

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What are the temperatures you are keeping her at?
What have you been feeding her? Throwing up is not a good thing & not normal. How is she doing this evening?
I would try to get some oral fluids into her to keep her from getting dehydrated.
Is her beard dark right now?

Tracie

elishadelottinville

Original Poster
The temp of the warm side of her tank is about 87 degrees . Her basking spot is around 105 . They're measured with thermometers that sit in her tank all the time .
Her spring mix consists of red and green oak leaf lettuce , red and green romaine , cos and lolla rossa as well as baby spinach. It's the mixture they had her on when I got her , and it's what I've had her on for 3 years with no problems .
I feed her meal worms because I was told to do so by one of the reptile people I spoke with who cares for and breeds them . He told me that once they reach adulthood , they should be on mealworms . They are also easier to keep than crickets .

Today , she is still mildly sluggish . She has not vomitted , I did offer her greens and she went over as if interested , but did not touch them and went back to bask .

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
Lettuce offers little to no nutritional value unfortunately, elishadelottinville.

Do you dust her food with calcium and multivitamins?

As for the throwing up - not normal. As stated before, definitely rehydrate her. You could even go so far as to give baths with Pedialyte mixed in.

I hope your dragon improves quickly!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today?
Perhaps something didn't sit well in her stomach or she ate too late & didn't digest very well?
At least her beard is not black though so she must be feeling a little bit better. Did she eat anything at all today?

Tracie

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
mealworms are just no good for them im afraid, the chitin shells can cause inpaction and its like living on rivita, there is just no nutrition in them. If she likes worms, phoenix worm look similar but they are soo much better for them, or try butter worms which are very good also.

She may be dehydrated after loosing the fluid, try getting her drinking fluid orally, but also give her a nice long soak. If you feel her underside, right hand side toward the lower half, can you feel anything hard? If it is impaction you may be able to feel it.

Out of curiosity which UVB are you using, and by thermometre always in the tank do you mean a digital one with a probe or a round analog one? it sounds like you have been given some incorrect information on other aspects so it would be good to check this out.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
This is a very good site to help you choose the best food for your dragon, you will see lettice isnt recommended, as is spinich. Lettice is mostly water and spinch is very high in oxylates (which bind calcium i think-its been a long time!). If you could get collards (or spring greens if in the UK) these are a much better option.

I would keep an eye on her for the next few days, make sure she is not lethargic or off food in any way, if she is i think a vet visit is in order, it sounds dramatic but they usually dont show illness until it get too much for them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us on your girl? Is she improving at all for you?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom