HELP. Beardie losing weight/not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo...

Last year around this time my beardie like most slowed down quiet a bit - however continue to bask and never hid. He did of course stop eating (crickets) but lost weight during this time (weighed 309g).. So I had to feed him carnivore care/baby food and he eventually started eating on his own during spring (meal worms)... I took him to the vet and they found single celled organisms and he was given metronidazole for 7 days... This had him eating more again end of February he was weighing 361g. In March he stopped eating again and dropped to 320g near the end of July... Then August he began eating again and got to 343g..

Here we are again and in the last 2 months he has lost 20g... and is at 322g... he is still basking.. not hiding. But I am worried about the weight loss so I am giving him carnivore care for a bit and going to move on to baby food and blended vegetables/worms..

Any tips? Has anyone seen this before??? Help :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you gotten a recent fecal sample tested? It's possible that he has a parasitic infection. Offering some veg baby food is good for hydration and nutrition but since this is a recurring issue it may be best to try and get to the bottom of it.

What are the temperatures in your tank? What kind of UVB light are you using and how old is it? Heat and lighting can have an effect on appetite and overall health as well.

kelseygouveia

Original Poster
He had a parasite the first few months I had him (1 1/2 ago) - he always has a bowel movement when I am at work so getting a focal sample is something I am working on!!!

The temperature is at 100F during the day and 75F at night - lights on for 12 hours.
I need to replace the UVB (about 9 months old) but have not been able to find the size I need in any pet stores.. It's a REPTISUN 10.0 thinner bulb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It would be helpful to replace the bulb if it's a T8. What size is your tank? What are you using to measure the temperature?

kelseygouveia

Original Poster
The tank is 80 gallon.
I use a thermometer with a probe - one probe is on his basking log directly under the light and another is on the cool side of the tank

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
80g, that's a nice size. What are the dimensions? For one that size I'd definitely use a T5 bulb for best results if you aren't already. If that's what you're using, then it should still be OK as they tend to have sufficient output for a year or more.

kelseygouveia

Original Poster
Is the difference between T5 and T8 the thickness of it?
The bulb I am using is thin.

The dimensions are 35''L x 16''H x 18''W

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, thats a good way to tell them apart. A T5 bulb is thinner at 5/8'' vs a T8 at 1''. The T5 is also much brighter than the T8. If that's what you have, it should be OK for a year or so. How far away from the basking area is it?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK that's a good distance too. He should be in good shape UVB wise for a few more months at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom