Help! Beardie is very sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD16

Juvie Member
So, I woke up this morning and noticed my oldest beardie was acting alittle strange. She was standing in her waterbowl, She stood there for a good while before going over near her log and basking. I didnt put to much concern towards it because beardies can be awfully weird. Well, I went to clean cages about half hour to 45 minutes ago and noticed that her eyes are sunken in and the coloring around them is blackish and they are a very reddish color mixed in with the normal beardie eye color. I noticed that her spine looks like it's being pushed up against her back. She is very lethargic and she started mouth gaping after I cleaned her cage and was bringing her back to her cage. I was able to see inside her mouth and even her mouth was pretty black as well as a good portion of her tail. I went to set her down into her cage and she literally tumbled down off the towel. I put the towel ontop of her log and tried helping her off and she literally tumbled and cartwheeled off of it. After she did this, She started shaking her head back and forth violently and vomitting in the cage on the newspaper. From the way it looks she would be lucky to make it through the night. Please Help!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post a picture of her ? What are her temps. ? Do you know how much she weighs, and her length ? Also, what did she eat +throw up ? She will be dehydrated now, so get some water in her ASAP. Use an eyedropper and drip on her nose, or a spray bottle to gently spray her nose until she drinks. If she can barely stand, I would not put her in a bath for hydration but use a sprayer, or eyedropper.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I can get pictures, but I wont be able to get them up until tonight. As far as temps, I dont know the exact temps. I've got a digital thermometer in her cage and it runs low 80ish on the cool side and her hot side im not quite sure. To be completely honest, From the coloration, It looks as if she's throwing up fecal matter. I cant tell, That's just what it looks like to me. I put her in a warm bath for 25 minutes while I cleaned her cage and she didnt seem to know what to think. And she usually loves a bath. I took her out and dried her off and wrapped her in a towel and as mentioned in my topic, I set her down on her log and unwrapped her from the towel and tried helping her off and she literally tumbled and carthweeled off and then started shaking her head violenty, mouth gaping, and vomitting. She can stand just fine, But she just walked around about 10 minutes ago and is standing in the corner of her cage with her back end in her waterbowl and while she walking, She had a very nasty gimp in her step because her spine/back bone is literally pushed up against the skin of her back.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
what uvb bulb are you using? Have you tested the basking and hot side temps. How are you taking temps?
Also, have you been dusting her feeders with calcium1x/day for 5 days and the other 2 days with vitamins?

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've tested all of her temps. Even though everyone says their not always accurate, Im using a digital thermometer that I got from reptilechannel.com. I also dust her feeders. Im not sure at all what's causing it.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
what uvb bulb are you using again? Is the thermometer a digital with probe? I was making sure you werent using a plain stick on side cage as those are the inaccurate ones.
Glad to hear you are dusting her feeders but maybe she isnt absorbing it properly. What again are the exact temps of all areas (cool side, hot side, and basking spot?)
How is she doing today

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She passed away between about 1pm and 3pm. I was out picking up Vladamere's ex cagemate and girlfriend. Her cool side was in the low to mid 80's. The high Side somewhere in the 90's and the basking spot was probably high 90 or over 100.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I was using a reptisun 10.0 and I was using a digital thermometer with a plastic probe on the end of it.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much. It means alot to me. I dont want to say I knew this was coming. But I kinda did. I went out this afternoon to pick up another Beardie that is actually Vlad's ex cagemate and girlfriend and I came home and found her dead. I told her several times last night when I had her wrapped up in a blankie laying with me: "Shadow its okay, You can go." and of course while saying it I was starting to cry and I guess she just decided it was better for her to go while I was out then when I was home. I dont think I could of dealt with it if I had to be here while it actually happened. I had to have my mom bury her. I dont know where my mom buried here. But Im going to wait a few days and try to take it all in and try to be comftorable with the fact that she isnt here anymore and then ask my mom where she's buried and go visit wherever my mom buried her outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom