HELP! Bearded dragon skin turning green!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what draco's tail looked like 2 days ago.
draketail1.jpg

He is on an antibiotic and the vet thought he had liver damage thats why his skin was turning green. FYI he has been on antibiotics to get rid of a mouth infection so I'm thinking thats why he thought this. I noticed these green areas seem to be under areas that he didn't shed. Draco also loves to spend lots of time submerged in his water bowl. I personally think its some type of fungus and here is why. These are pics I took today after I shed out his tail. I also noticed a green vinager smell. So I took him upsatirs and used a soft toothbrush to clean the area and wipped it with batadine then rinsed.

draketail2.jpg

draketail3.jpg

He hasen't eaten in almost a week and I have been force feeding babyfood and water to keep his strength up. He is very lethargic but seemed to perk up a bit after I cleaned him up. ANYONE ever had or heard of something like this???????

blackrose322123

Original Poster
Thanks so much. I was thinking the same thing. Like maybe since he spends so much time in the water bowl that the water got under the shed and caused this. I don't know what to put on it and was looking for advise on what is safe to use. I have 6 other dragons never had a prob with them but this guy always seems to get something weird! lol

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That would not be liver damage. It looks like fungus underneath the skin getting ready to shed.
Right now I would take his water dish out since he is sitting in it so much, it will make the fungus area worse. It should shed off however.
Why is he on antibiotics?

Tracie

blackrose322123

Original Poster
The shed is off in the second and third pictures. The antibiotic he is on now for the mouth is trimeth/sulfa 0.1 2x a day. Will this go away on it's own? I have removed his large bowl yester day and replaced i with a small one he cannot climb into. His mouth is starting to look better. Would this cause him to not want to eat? Sorry for so manny questions. I'm so worried about him.

wizbee

Juvie Member
Did you personally pull the shed off his tail? I don't think thats too good for them. The only thought I have and probably not a good one is try to scrub the area with diluted bleach water to kill the mildew/fungus? But I wouldn't try that unless Tracie says it's ok.

blackrose322123

Original Poster
My hubby was worried he was suffering from liver damage and had me halfway talked into PTS today. I called yesterday to make the apt. I was heart broken and was sitting with Draco going over everything that has ever happened to him in the last year. I couldn't figure out why his liver would be damaged. I noticed the green spot on his shoulder was almost gone now and that didn't make sense. (today that spot is gone!) The shed was still on his tail and I kep thinking this has got to be underneath the shed. I've seen pics of yellow fungus but never green. I started searching all over and couldn't find anything. I went back and satrted rubbing over the tail and after a few minutes found a loose piece. I know you shouldn't shed these guys out but now that I think about it the smell after the piece of shed was removed was like if you threw out a bag of greens in the garbage on a hot day then opened the lid. He's moving around more today and picking up his head and looking around. He has not done this for 4 days. Stayed in one spot all the time sleeping. He even got so mad with the force feed he cut my thumb. Never did that before he acted like he had no energy. I'm not sure if I wanna use bleach it sounds kinda harsh. Would vinigar or a saltwater bath work? I myself am alergic to bleach it eats the skin off my hands so I'd worry about putting it on him.

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Have you tried just using a tooth brush and regular water? It looks like algae. Maybe a good scrub would help.

HowlinGaleDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Retired Moderator
I wonder if a Betadine bath will help with that, if you can go out and get some Betadine mix it in his bath water untill it looks like weak tea and let him soak in it for a little then take a tooth brush and scrub his scales.

wizbee

Juvie Member
I wouldn't really recommend the bleach but was trying to think that if I had mold or fungus that's what I'd use. Just very weak that's all. I wouldn't want to hurt your beardie. Maybe try just warm water and a soft toothbrush? Maybe Tracie will see this....

blackrose322123

Original Poster
I have Betadine and was thinking the same thing! I wasen't sure if it was safe for him. I'm still waiting for a call from the vet. :(

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Definate NO on the bleach that could harm him seriously.Beardies are ultrasensitive to all chemicals especially bleach and ammonia.The betadine is fine to use no need to wait on the vet.You want to dilute it with water until its the color of a weak tea.I do not believe its yellow fungus but it is some type of fungal infection.Rubbing the area with a soft toothbrush while he is in the betadine bath is ok as well.I dont remember if you tols us what type of substrate but I would do a thorough cleaning of his tank and use papertowels as a substrate for the time being it and change it out frequently.I have never seen liver damage do this so I seriously doubt thats what it is and I dont think you need to even consider putting him to sleep at this point.I am sorry this must be very frustrating for you but just take it slow and hopefully he will come out of this ok.I also would remove all water sources from the tank even the smal bowl.You do not want the humidity in his tank to be raised right now.One last warning some people try to use hydrogen peroxide,please dont do that it can actually damage the scales severely and make your problems 10 x worse,ok?

blackrose322123

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful info! I did the bath and right after the vet called and told me to give him the special bath once a day and use the gentmician drops on it as well. Sorry don't have the bottle in front of me right now so I know the spelling is wrong. Another question do you guys think this is why he won't eat and just likes to sleep?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Possible if he isnt feeling well but it could also be brumation.It is that time of year in the Northern Hemisphere so it may just be a bit of both.Is he losing weight?Could also be the meds.Do you have any probiotics on hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom