help and advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it looks pretty good to me. I'd try to keep the basking light at least 12'' above the basking area so it's not quite so intense visually but you'll want to maintain the temperatures so a dimmer and/or a different bulb might be needed (not critical though). The T8 UVB tube should be about 6'' above the basking area for best output. You can get a little more from it if you put a reflector over it to direct more of the light downward (again, not critical as the bulb looks reasonably close as it is).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With his lighting correct and his diet varied, he may just have a slower metabolism and lower activity level. They're all a bit different. If his weight is remaining stable he is probably OK health wise.

Stres

Hatchling Member
edddyheth139":3uvw51wr said:
Sorry about slow reply . Any help please . He is eating odd bits of fruit now which is a start . He prefers locusts . I've moved the light to oneside of tank . It's on 9am till 9pm . But he still isn't active at all he will sit in same spot all day . When a get him out he will move about for few minutes then just sit there . Doesn't really do much . I've got the heat upto 102f thru day and down to 70 on a night . But still never goes on his basking spot

do you know how old the tube is, did it come from the previous owner, it looks like a t8 tube to me which I think stops giving out good levels of uvb after 6 months, could it be possible it needs changing.

edddyheth139

Original Poster
Champion it's took a while to suss him out . His set up was all wrong when we got him . The uv bulb will it be better on the roof of tank do you think ? And you think his basking bulb may be too close to his ledge for him to go under ? Thanks for your time helping me

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are the distances? It's possible the basking light is too close but it's hard for me to tell from the photo. Also a good point about the T8, it should be replaced every 6 months or so as their output degrades. If you put it up on the roof and add a reflector it will help direct UVB downward but you want to keep it within that 6-8'' distance as the output drops significantly beyond about 8''. If you need more distance I'd switch to a T5 which will have great output at 12-14''.

edddyheth139

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1o6j43xc said:
What are the distances? It's possible the basking light is too close but it's hard for me to tell from the photo. Also a good point about the T8, it should be replaced every 6 months or so as their output degrades. If you put it up on the roof and add a reflector it will help direct UVB downward but you want to keep it within that 6-8'' distance as the output drops significantly beyond about 8''. If you need more distance I'd switch to a T5 which will have great output at 12-14''.

At a guess ide say his rock is about 8inches from basking bulb . Will look into a reflecter . Hard work these dragons like haha

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah they're hard work at first but once everything's just right they're pretty easy to work with. It's absolutely worth while either way =). Are you in the UK? These are the T8 reflectors I'm thinking of. They'll clip right around the bulb you have https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-t8-fluorescent-reflectors/
They carry very nice T5 setups too just in case you want the extra output (12'' is optimal from bulb to basking area) https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-complete-uv-light-kit-desert-reptiles/

edddyheth139

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3i4pndyg said:
Yeah they're hard work at first but once everything's just right they're pretty easy to work with. It's absolutely worth while either way =). Are you in the UK? These are the T8 reflectors I'm thinking of. They'll clip right around the bulb you have https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-t8-fluorescent-reflectors/
They carry very nice T5 setups too just in case you want the extra output (12'' is optimal from bulb to basking area) https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-complete-uv-light-kit-desert-reptiles/

Champion I'll order one mate cheers . Yes I'm in the UK . What is The actual job of the uv bulb isn't there uv in the basking bulb ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Plain basking bulbs provide UVA and infrared which provide heat and bright white light. The UVB tube is to supplement that and provide UVB that comes along with natural sunlight and is essential for their wellbeing. The goal is to try and simulate sunlight as closely as possible over the basking area so they can get what they need. Based on what I've read and some of my own readings, the optimal UV (combined) index reading is between about 3-6 UVI in the basking area. This is similar to mid morning and late afternoon in Australia when they're likely to be out basking. It would be best to have a UV source that could increase and decrease during the day but we're limited with what we can do in captive environments at the moment so I settle for a happy medium with 3-6 UVI. The T8 bulbs produce about 3.5 at 6'' and the T5 bulbs produce about 5-6 at 12'' if you have a reflector around the bulb. Might be more detail than you're interested in but I figured I'll share what I know. Taterbug has put together a great guide with further information about light combinations and appropriate distances which is worth a read https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

Boiled down, if you put the UVB light at appropriate distance above the basking area and your basking light is at a safe distance and providing appropriate temperature gradients then they combine and you're as close as you can to producing natural sunlight over the basking area which is the goal.

edddyheth139

Original Poster
Ahhhh right I see what you mean . Thanks for that info . So idealy I need to get a new bulb for the uv strip and reflecters. Also move the light and put on roof and as close to the basking bulb as possible ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you move to a T5 you'll need the new fixture & reflector, yes. A T8 reflector will clip over your current T8 bulb. If you can mount it overhead that will be beneficial and putting it as close to the basking light as possible is a good idea so there's a high amount of UVB along with the warmest temps in the basking site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom