Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! My name is Ashley, and my husband Jimmy and I are new to the bearded dragon community! We just recently adopted a 4 year old bearded dragon named Lenny. Here is the story of how we came to adopt this sweet lizard...
We had been considering buying a bearded dragon for about 5 months, and with Christmas around the corner I thought it would be the perfect Christmas gift for my husband. So, on Christmas eve he opens his gifts to see he has gotten a 20 gallon tank and some other necessities for a bearded dragon. We are both so excited and go to PetSmart to see if we connect with any of the bearded dragons there. We find one in particular that we felt loved to be around us so we decided to buy her and take her home. We had done research on the internet but not too extensively. We took some of what the pet store associate told us and took our new dragon home to get settled in. As we had her we continued to research information on how to raise a bearded dragon and found that some of what the pet store associate had told us was wrong. So, we fixed all the problems that the misinformation had caused and our little dragon seemed to be doing fine. Around February 2nd of this year she started to have twitches in her tail and hind legs. We were alarmed took her to the vet. She was going to the bathroom regularly and eating normally and the vet said she seemed to be perfectly fine and a healthy dragon. We got home, she started to have paralysis in her hind legs, immediately we thought impaction. Called the vet, he recommended pedialyte mixed with warm water for her bath. We were bathing her three times a day for 20 minutes each bath and massaging the tummy for 10 minutes of bath time. With no improvement of her hind legs we took her back to the vet who could only do an x ray on her because she was too small to get a blood sample and we had not collected enough stool yet for the parasite test. The vet could not see anything wrong with her skeleton but wanted to send it off to another Herp vet for a second opinion. She gave us a liquid calcium supplement to be given twice daily which we started that same day. We continued the baths for impaction and the calcium supplement and she was still eating small crickets. Then, the next day we see that she has pooped! We were relieved because we thought that was the end of the impaction, but we continued the daily bath just to be on the safe side. She was still not using her back legs so we thought maybe she was still a little impacted so we continued the baths and calcium supplements. The vet called to let us know that the other vet thought that there was a diffuse decrease in bone density and that we should continue the calcium supplements and get another uvb light. This was on February 12th. We continued the supplements, had two uvb lights over her viv, and was continuing baths (Reptisun 10.0 uvb). Along with the twitching, she also would fall over on her back while trying to turn around and could not flip herself back over. I walked in on her on her back one day when i went to check on her ran over to her and flipped her back over and she just stood there looking at me and started walking around and seemed fine so we just monitored her. On Valentines day we go to check on her to find her flipped over in her cage on her back, we flipped her back over as quick as we could but she was gaping for air and not responsive. We called every vet hospital in the area, the closest one that could see a reptile was 2 hours away and they said she wouldn't make the trip in her condition. So, we swaddled her in a blanket gave her water pet on her, and rubbed her tummy some just hoping for the best and hoping she would make it until the morning so we could take her to the vet that would be open. She died around 1AM on the 15th.

We were heartbroken that she had died, and we wanted to honor her by giving another bearded dragon a good home. A friend of ours has an animal rescue and had an adult bearded dragon named Lenny. We decided to bring Lenny home with us and give him a good home. He was in bad conditions such as: little calcium in a 3 year period, not enough vegetables being fed, sand as substrate, coil uvb bulb, and no hiding spot. But, we are going to fix him up with all new items and we would appreciate any advice on raising an older bearded dragon, how to help them get used to you and their environment.

Thank you!

Ashley Cooper

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your first baby. Unfortunately with stores like Petco and PetSmart (mostly problems with PetSmart in my area) the babies are way too little to be for sale.

I'm so happy to hear about the adoption of Lenny. Older beardies are definitely easier to care for. The require the same lighting set up though lower basking temps. The temps should be 95-100 for basking and cool side should be the same as with a baby. The require a 40 gallon - 75 gallon viv instead of the 20. They require calcium 3x a week and vitamins 1x a week. Their diet should be 80% greens and veg (no kale, spinach, anything with citrus) and 20% bugs (no mealworms). They should get baths three times a week for 20 minutes each. And there is a brumation article on the website I would take a look at. I haven't gone through it yet with my guys and gals.

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Lennythedragon

Original Poster
Thank you for your condolences! When we first got her petsmart actually told us she was three months old, but we later found out from the vet that she was probably about a month old when we got her. But, all in all everything worked out, she is no longer in any type of pain and we got to adopt this awesome guy that really needs us. Thank you for all the info, will definitely keep it all in mind! We just picked up Lenny yesterday, to find out that he has not had any calcium for about 3 years (except a little amount from the pellets that were fed to him), he has not had a bath in about 3 years, he does not have a hiding spot, his substrate right now is sand, and he was fed mealworms as meals sometimes as well as not being given a lot of veggies :( . So, today we went to the pet store and bought Lenny some new tank decor, new reptile carpet for his substrate, new branches for climbing, a big log for a hiding spot, and some nice rocks to lay out on. Today, he had his first taste of collard greens and gobbled them up, and had some crickets dusted with calcium with d3 phosphorus free (flukers brand) the first taste of calcium he has had in awhile! He will have a new home tonight to get used to, but I think he is going to end up a lot happier!

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Be careful using anything with d3. The proper UVB which you have produces enough that you don't want to put too much in his system.

Also, don't feed him a lot of live feeders right away. If he has too many he could vomit.

I'm glad he's taking to the collard right away. That's a good sign.

Lennythedragon

Original Poster
This is Lenny. We spent all day trying to clean his viv, we are building him a wooden one this weekend though. He actually has a basking spot he fits on now, and he's finally getting the correct UVB. It may not be much, but it is a great improvement.

Here is bowser on her last vet visit.

pyrovamp

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry for your loss with you little Bowser :( and yay on the rescue with Lenny :) lol the bigger guys are easier to take care of then the little guys. Though if you have a male in the spring around may your going to have a black bearder on your hands lol. I know with my boy Bowen i deal with a territorial butt he chases everything that moves and head bobs and black beards everything he can. Also the femoral pores tend to get thick with the waxy build up for marking his things I don't worry to much with my guys cause they don't seem to bother him and after the spring they shrink back down, aslo with a male in the spring you may see sperm plugs. just soak him in a bath and they should come right out not long after. In the winter burmantion is about a four-five month on and off sleeping period for them they eat a lot less and lose some weight but quickly gain it right back. well thats my tips on with having a bigger male. my guy is just about three years old now and hes 21.4 inches total lol so i get to deal with a big grumpy butt lol.Again welcome to the site and srry for you lose and yay for your gain :)

Lennythedragon

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info with male behavior! We have read up some on brumation and hope it is awhile before we experience it with him if we do. Lenny is about 4 years old and he is right at 18 inches long, so a little on the shorter side, but were hoping with the better care he will grow more :)

pyrovamp

Hatchling Member
Lennythedragon":321eecfa said:
Thanks for all the info with male behavior! We have read up some on brumation and hope it is awhile before we experience it with him if we do. Lenny is about 4 years old and he is right at 18 inches long, so a little on the shorter side, but were hoping with the better care he will grow more :)
Not a problem anything to help make things easier with having a big guy. :) if he's already four he won't get any longer but he'll get fatter xD

Lennythedragon

Original Poster
Thanks for you condolences! It was really hard on us because we had been planning on getting a bearded dragon for awhile so we got attached really quick. But, Lenny needed a good home and someone to take proper care of him and we thought that would be better than going to go but another baby right off. Lenny has been wonderful though, we recently just found out she is a girl not a boy, so she's became our little sweetheart. :)

lzzrdboy

Welcome to the community! I too am new as I only joined 2 days ago. I'm very sorry for your loss but extremely happy about your decision to adopt once again. I look forward to reading about Lenny's progress.

I'm sorry to hear about your little one not making it...I know the feeling. Out of 3 babies from Petsmart my 6 month old girl is the only one that was strong enough to make it through. And congrats, Lenny is now um....Lennia? Gosh i couldnt derive a girl name from lenny lol.

Lennythedragon

Original Poster
Thank you both for your kind words. She was a sweet little dragon that will be missed, but Lenny (or Leo as we call her now since we found out its a girl), needed us so things worked out in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom