Hello from Western Wa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ses2682

I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking for a few weeks reading all the great advice. My name is Sara and I live near Seattle and I bought my first beardie almost a month ago. His/Her name is Leroy...might have to change it to something else if it turns out to be a she. My beardie is about 7 inches long. We are still getting to know each other. It has definitely been a trip...

Hey I am new from Washington too, Im near Silverdale though. I haven't gotten my beardie yet, but I will soon. pics would be aweeesome ;D

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
You also need to change your substrate ! if your beardie ingests any of that.. there will be some MAJOR impaction issues.
Glad you stopped feeding him mealworms though :D

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
actually FYI phoenix worms technically are a maggot or larvae of a soldier fly i believe. make sure you feed em off quickly, or there'll b fly problems ;)

i agree with the poster that mentioned substrate. textured slate tile, newspaper, paper towels, or nonstick shelf liner works best. stay away from loose substrate as it can be an impaction risk and can harbor harmful bacteria in all those cracks and crevices

good luck! :mrgreen:

ses2682

Original Poster
Thanks for the input I really appreciate it and I promise I am not a complete tool! I decided to purchase Leroy on a whim, very stupid I might add..something I expect more from a child than someone who is 27. So the setting up his tank has probably been more expensive than I had expected. I originally was with a friend at Petco and she wanted to buy a corn snake...apparently she has had them in the past and really loved them. So I thought it would be cool to get one too, I guess I am already showing how impulsive I can be. I had a 10 gallon set up for the corn snake and I had him for almost a week. While my friend's new buddie was happy to slither over her hand or cuddle in her sleeve..my snake kept trying to bite me. I know he was probably just scared because he was a tiny little guy...but it made me realize I wanted something different with a little more personality.... so I exchanged the snake for a beardie and I am so glad I did! Now, I realize I should have bought from a local breeder instead of a petstore..truly I do know better.. I would never buy a dog or a cat from a petstore and it didn't really occur to me that buying a reptile from a chain wasn't a good idea. Luckily, Leroy was only there for a couple days and he has been healthy and happy and fat ever since. The lighting needs of a beardie have been a little challenging coming from the perspective of someone who has never owned a reptile and I didn't have a clue about UVA and UVB light. Happily, I found this site within a day or so of bringing Leroy home and I have been educated! Of course, still have a lot to learn..but i appreciate the willingness of everyone to help out here. I have had several people on my facebook really like the pictures of Leroy I am posting..but I am first to mention the importance of a Reptisun 10.0, large enclosure and the initial cost to setting up a proper viv. I'd rather have people learn from my mistakes...
As soon as I saw the gravel was not a good idea I scooped it all out and cleaned the tank and put paper towels in for now.

Thanks again everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom