Hello from Puffer and his/her family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I think Puffer is about 4mos. old? Got him from petcrazy, learning loads from this site. I am so happy I found it.
So far, puffer is getting acquainted with us, not sure if hes a she or a he... there are no bumps present so im thinking a she? Puffer eats about 30crickets a day and likes pea's and mixed greens, we given her a few mealworms... Ive heard that u can feed them cat food too?? what kind of cat food?
Puffers had a couple of baths, seems to be ok with them... doesnt move the whole time, still a little skittish when being handled.
We've been handling Puffer more and more tho, shes asleep right now on my sons chest wrapped in a blankie.
we are going to make a custom vivarium shortly, shes in a 20L tank right now... Ive got to get a new uvb light as we have a coil Zilla bulb and ive read its not good... why do these pet stores set u up with equipment that can do harm? also need to get a new thermometer... just have a cheap one that sticks to side of tank... it reads usually around 100 on the warm side. Shes just started to climb her vines and wood in her tank... getting a little more brave or comfortable i think. we have vitasand in her tank... she seems pretty good with it, not eating it or anything plus theres calcium in it... but going to get carpet soon when we complete her vivarium... going to get supplies tomorrow at home depot ...
here are some pics of Puffer, does she look like a good size for her age? are those stress marks on her belly in the last pic?
still learning here, grateful this site is here for info... we're really getting attached to her
DSCF1253.jpg

DSCF1248.jpg

DSCF2646.jpg

DSCF2636.jpg

DSCF2650.jpg

DSCF2630.jpg

DSCF2620.jpg

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Welcome. Puffer is so cute. He/she looks to be younger than 4 mo to me. He seems more like 2 months. I only say this because he is smaller than my guy who is 9 weeks. I know they are all different but as babies they shouldn't be that different.

Anyways, he will be growing like a weed and filling out. Good luck. These guys are so fun.

dechainechel

Hatchling Member
Hello! Welcome. I think peas are okay for an occaisional veg. You could try butternut squash instead, mine love it, and it can be a staple veggie. Please don't feed your dragon cat food! That can't be healthy for him/her. Meal worms aren't a good feeder for your beardie either, their shells don't digest well, and your baby could get impacted. If you prefer worms to crickets, Ido, then try Phoenix worms. They are super nutritious, easy to digest, and your beardie will love them! mulberryfarms.com is where we got all of our silkies and Phoenix worms, when our beardie was little. Also make sure he/she gets a salad daily, with a nice mix of healthy greens. Like collards, mustard, escarole, or turnip. Good luck! They are rewarding pets, and worth taking the best care you can give them!

puffersfamily

Original Poster
I do give puffer mixed greens everyday including escarole, collard greens etc but she doesn't seem to like too much of it, a few bites... She will eat about 30 crickets a day... 10 crickets 3x a day, we've only given puffer 3 mealworms total in the month we've had her/him...got some bearded dragon bites for her too , ever heard of them? Supposed to be good for them, moisture and stimulate appetite and improve colour etc.. I only mentioned cat food coz I had read in magazine it was good for them?
We got her a silkworm the other day and she devoured it, and then went straight to a corner and plopped into a deep sleep an hour before lights out.. Kinda made me nervous actually, those worms seem so big, thought bout it squirming round in her tummy...
But she's ok :)
Been really warming up to us now... Doesn't even flinch when we pick her up anymore

dechainechel

Hatchling Member
Sorry, was out of town. I think you are doing a great job w/Puffer! It is hard to get babies to eat their greens. When Phoenix was little it took us forever to get her to eat them. We started putting silkies in her greens and when she ate the silkies, the greens would stick to them, and she ended up eating greens and liking them. Silkworms are soft bodied, and are very safe and nutritious! Phoenix worms are fabulous as well, and are cheaper than silkies. Check out mulberryfarms.com for lots of feeder options, and decent prices. I've tried dragon bites , but mine won't touch them. They both love the dry pellets, though. I give them stuff like that as treats, not as staples. I'm actually glad my dragons are adults now, and are big enough to eat mostly salad, with super worms and roaches as their staple bugs. Keep doing what you are doing, variety is the best way to go! Good luck with Puffer, She sounds like a sweetie pie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom