Hello from new BD owner Mike And BABY BD Kush

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is everyone.first off i would like to say this is an awesome site.

i went to the pet store in in Oklahoma(usa).i went looking for a new pet,not knowing what i wanted.i looked around,and i decided to look in the reptile/amphibian center.i looked at the bearded dragons and i was very excited,but freaked out to hold it.

so i went home and did some research on them...and found This GREAT site.
after about 2 days of extensive research,i decided to get one.there where many to choose from,but this one is my favorite.the color to me is just amazing for such beautiful pet.

im very happy with my buy.

my setup is as follows:i purchased Rzilla Desert Gecko kit,replaced the night heat light for an R-zilla Tropical 25 UVB Fluorescent Bulbs 13 Watt Coil,i kept the blue heat emitter.and the bed liner that came with it.i will take more pics of setup tonight

now here is my Baby KuSh.
DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

Thanks to everyone who leaves info on how to take care of a BD..

i would appreciate comments and tips. thanks again from Mike and KuSh.

http://WWW.MvasquezPhotography.com
my website in the making for my work

vanda

Hi Mike and Kush
I am new today as well! And the adopted mother of a 2 year old bearded dragon.
Hopefully someone will have some good advice for us new parents!
My daughter in law owned Abe, and couldn't keep him anymore , so we have a new "son"... maybe.. not sure of the sex totally!
he is so mellow, that sometimes I have to check for breathing.
He has been with us for 3 days and only ate about 3 or 4 crickets.
I am worried about him because he is so lethargic and with the lack of eating. He just has undergone surgury not too long ago to correct a bowel (?) blockage of some kind. He tried to eat one of the fake plants in his enclosure and then tried to pass it, resulting in him expelling part of his bowel.
When we pick him up, he may take 2 or 3 steps up higher onto our shoulder,, but is quite content to lay and have his head rubbed.
Is this normal for beardies to be so tame? :?:
I have been doing some reading on here and have determined that perhaps he is under moving stress?
We recently made a trip to the pet store and got the basking light, and the 10 uv light, he has greens available all of the time, but won't touch them. He was also given his first bath tonight.. he was pretty indifferent to it as well.
I can literally hold him under the arms, with his little paws hanging over my finger, and rub his belly while his back legs are resting on my body........
Do we have a totally abnormal dragon?

slddgk

Hello - and welcome!

A couple of things - First, I am also a new BD owner. But I have read many threads on this site.

MvasquezPhotography I do know that coil lights of any kind is bad for bearded dragons. The Reptisun 10.0 uvb flourescent bulb ihas been stated many times to be one of the best. But I would watch your new baby closely for eye problems. I had a coil uv light and soon after turning it on, my baby left her left eye closed most of the time. Researched the problem on here, found out it was a bad bulb. Took it out returned it and got a tube uvb light, and she is doing great. In fact just hours after turning the light off, she was opening her eyes.

vanda - your new beardie is going through an adjustment period with being in a new home. Don't worry, most do through this time of settling in and getting to know you and so on. When I got little DJ, she didn't eat much for days. Then it as like overnight ... I placed her in her feeding tank ... gave her a few crickets and wow ... she went at them. And it seems she hasn't stopped. This evening alone she ate over 50 crickets I swear, and around 30 this morning. She is quite the piggy. I offer her the greens and veggies during the day, she nibbles here and there. Now - as to her being tame, yes they are very tame by nature, and love to be handled, that is why they are great pets for young children. Once he is over the moving stress ... he will start to blossom. I am sure. They are great pets. Just keep an eye on his basking temp it should be around 100-105 degrees approx. And there must be a cooler side and you did say you have a uv light, just curious what kind. How big of an enclosure is he in. All of this plays into there overall happiness and well being. There are some wonderful threads on here describing in detail what you need to have and people who are awesome and will answer any question you have.

Good luck to both of you on your new babies.

MvasquezPhotography

Original Poster
slddgk":109d3 said:
Hello - and welcome!

A couple of things - First, I am also a new BD owner. But I have read many threads on this site.

MvasquezPhotography I do know that coil lights of any kind is bad for bearded dragons. The Reptisun 10.0 uvb flourescent bulb ihas been stated many times to be one of the best. But I would watch your new baby closely for eye problems. I had a coil uv light and soon after turning it on, my baby left her left eye closed most of the time. Researched the problem on here, found out it was a bad bulb. Took it out returned it and got a tube uvb light, and she is doing great. In fact just hours after turning the light off, she was opening her eyes.

vanda - your new beardie is going through an adjustment period with being in a new home. Don't worry, most do through this time of settling in and getting to know you and so on. When I got little DJ, she didn't eat much for days. Then it as like overnight ... I placed her in her feeding tank ... gave her a few crickets and wow ... she went at them. And it seems she hasn't stopped. This evening alone she ate over 50 crickets I swear, and around 30 this morning. She is quite the piggy. I offer her the greens and veggies during the day, she nibbles here and there. Now - as to her being tame, yes they are very tame by nature, and love to be handled, that is why they are great pets for young children. Once he is over the moving stress ... he will start to blossom. I am sure. They are great pets. Just keep an eye on his basking temp it should be around 100-105 degrees approx. And there must be a cooler side and you did say you have a uv light, just curious what kind. How big of an enclosure is he in. All of this plays into there overall happiness and well being. There are some wonderful threads on here describing in detail what you need to have and people who are awesome and will answer any question you have.

Good luck to both of you on your new babies.

thanks for in GK...after doing research tonight...im going first thing in the morning to get a new light..

hey vanda congrats on the new baby...KuSh hasnt started eating his/her greens yet either...but i have worms on hand constantly.

hope that helps her out as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom