Hello from Australia! Regarding sand substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day there. I have been looking at these forums for some time now, but just joined up.
Regarding sand as a substrate. I know it causes impact ion and there is countless posts about it.
But I've heard people using sand but not feeding them on it.
Wondering what people's opinions on this is.
I am building my own 1200x600x600 melamine enclosure and got my reptile license on the way.
And building a custom temperature control system with a digital controller. Possibly go down the adruino path later on if I get really excited about it. Haha.
Anyway just thought I'd say g'day and introduce myself and ask that question.
Cheers ! Daniel

cvontres

Hi there! :D
I do not actually own a Beardie, but I have been doing research for quite a while. At first I wanted sand, but that was before I learned about impaction risks. I personally won't go with sand if I get one, because I hear they love to lick everything! I'm leaning towards tiles, now. They look cool, are easy to clean (supposedly), hold heat better, and can't cause impaction.
Good Luck, M

danielpentz

Original Poster
Hey M. Yeah that's a fair call that they lick everything. Thanks for your reply. And tiles would be awesome. I would need to find the right colour though. A nice sandstone look might be the go. What sort of beardie are you looking to get ?

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
I placed my male on sand when he was 2 years old and always fed him outside of his enclosure. After apprx. 2-3 months, he stopped passing stool and stopped eating for several months.

Long story short, he made his appearance at several veterinary offices for several years. 3 years later, he has only begun to eat on his own again and of the vet bills I've found he's costed me $2600.

So I don't think that it is worth it. I use slate tiles now.

To reflect, my female has always been on a solid substrate for her 4 years of life and has never needed to go to the vet.

Hope this helps in your decision.

-Glue

Ive had my beardie on sand since day one and havent had a problem, They do like to lick everything yeah but i think people under rate sand, My girl loves digging (almost everyday) and this wouldent be possible without the sand, And to be fare they live on sand/rock out in the wild...You just need to be sensible when feeding on sand...or feed them else wher.

Or if your still woried about impaction then maybe half sand & half slate tiles.

I picked up 4 large tiles from B & Q for a couple quid each

Heres a base pic of my setup without all the decor in

IMAG0294_zps3d0e53c1.jpg

Spikey92

Juvie Member
unrealtour":3h6vyi13 said:
And to be fare they live on sand/rock out in the wild...

Yea but out in the wild the average life span of a beardie is only three years. Cause they do often get impacted and have noone out there giving them oil,baby prunes or canned pumpkin.

I just wouldnt risk my beardies health for a little digging fun. You can use tiles and then put newspaper on top so they can still dig themselves in when they go to bed. Or you can make a dig box and use that on the ocassion whenever your beardie gets a little play time.But please supervise the entire time and use the right "sand".

danielpentz

Original Poster
Jeepers glue that is a pretty insane story. You've conconvinced me not to touch it. Your set up looks pretty sweet unrealtor.
Cheers

cvontres

Hi danielpentz,
I really don't care what type of Beardie I get, just one that is healthy. I hope your building goes well. :D Tell me how you like it when you are done. I'm hoping to build my own melamine cage, someday.
Best of Luck, M

danielpentz

Original Poster
Hey M. Its pretty easy. You can either buy a big sheet of melamine and cut out your enclosure yourself. A 1200x2400 sheet will do a 4x2x2 with a glass front. Providing you have a circular saw and the right jig your cuts will be nearly or as good as a panel saw.
Or you can get a cabinet maker to get the melamine and do the cuts and you can just screw it together. All you need is a drill and screws really. But a square and a couple of drill bits one to pilot and one to countersink. Just give them a plan of what you want.
Or you could get them to assemble it for you. A lot quicker than doing it yourself because that's what they do all day everyday. Including the glass it should cost between $190-$250 depending on if you get them to assemble your design as well. I all this because I just went through it. I don't mean to tell you things you may already know, just wanted to share some direct insight, and I am also pretty excited. So with this you will have a large unwired viv usually priced around 500$ for easily half of that. Then comes the electrical. You can wire it yourself if you know your way around electrical. I am an electrician here in Australia so I'm fortunate enough not to have to pay someone for the works. But I have done a lot of shopping on ebay for my electrical control. Including a digital temp controller, 3 position switches and heat globes. So if you would like a list of the stiff I used. Or a wiring diagram let me know.
I will end this essay now, thanks for reading !
Cheers

cvontres

Thanks for sharing how to do it! I will have to see if I need advice on wiring. If I do I'll PM you. I don't even know if I'm getting a Beardie, let alone building the cage.
Thanks again, M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom