Hello everyone. Just want some opinions and to relate our st

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardCoded

About a month ago my GF expressed interest in getting a lizard for a large aquarium (72") that we own. So I went to the pet store and asked a lot of questions. I opted to get her a bearded dragon, I got two. I purchased the lighting, vitamins, calcium, rocks, a 20 gallon tank for now, a nice rock, feed bowls, the food pellets they suggested, and a green mat for substrate. The lady told us that they didn't need to eat anything else but the pellets and possibly some greens dusted with the vitamins and calcium.

We setup the temp tank with the stuff that I had purchased. Got the two beardies and put them in their new home. They both were a little standoffish for the first few days and we didn't try and force them to let us hold them. Like I said they were small maybe 4-6 inches. Very tiny, very cute. After the initial first few days they warmed right up and would even come on your hand without much coaxing. We would hold them for maybe 5 minutes at a time in the beginning to get them used to us.

A couple of weeks go by and the beardie we thought of as the boy (Zeke) started turning black, getting very lethargic, and not really eating. This new behavior obviously had us worried. So we went back to that pet shop, and talked to someone else there and that person explained how they were fed crickets every day. We were both in shock. Here we had been not feeding them anything but the pellets. We bought some crickets.

The Zeke took off after them immediately and ate like 12 in no time. The one we thought of as the girl (Lizzy) ate quite a few also.

Now a week goes by and Lizzy seems to be eating less and less of the crickets while Zeke continues to stuff his face. Zeke has shed and now looks at least twice the size of Lizzy. Lizzy continues to be more lethargic.

So basically what I am saying is while we thought we did the right research it is obvious we didn't do enough of it and I am hoping some of our information here will help other people.

Now on to my need for some opinions. We have been able to determine for sure that Zeke is a boy and are pretty sure Lizzy is a girl now. What I want to know is should they be separated at this stage? Could Lizzy being dominated? They sleep next to each other often with Lizzy draping one arm over Zeke or sleeping right on top of him. What are signs of domination? If Lizzy is not being dominated and she has another problem any ideas what that could be? I plan to take her to a vet if the situation doesn't improve within the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance for any help.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Hi and Welcome!!
I would definitely seperate them. It is never advisable to house two dragons together as one can become dominant, which is probably what is causing your dragon trouble.
A couple of questions to help us determine if something else is wrong:
What brand and type of UVB are you using?
What are their temps: basking, warm side, and cool side?
What are you using to measure temps?
I'm sure others will post too, but I have to go to work at the moment.
Sara

HardCoded

Original Poster
I will have to look at the UVB light when I get home, but the temps vary from 80 - 85 on one side to 100 - 115 on basking side. I am using stick on thermometers on each side about midway down I got from pet store. Don't know if this helps, but I live in Florida.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
You really need to get a digital thermometer with a probe. Stick-on ones don't accurately measure basking temps and can be off by 20*. If your temps are reading this high from the side, your basking temps may be way too high. Walmart has a good digital therm. made by accurite for $12. It is in the hardware section.
Sara

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
The ones I know:
The dominant dragon may head-bob while the dominated dragon will wave
The dominant dragon may sit on top of of the dominated dragon
The dominant dragon may choose the best basking spots
The dominant dragon may eat first/ eat the most.
Even if you aren't seeing these I would still seperate. A lot of dominance is not seen. Housing two together may cause undue stress on one or both.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom