Hello Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Hi All! My name is Mindi. I was a member here a few years ago. I got rid of my laptop and have been living life exclusively on tablet and phone and so gave up all of my online activities / boards. Hence the membership and few years ago followed by my disappearance.

I moved in August from SW Florida to North Carolina. So many things have been happening and I decided that I really need BD.org and so I am back and thought I would reintroduce myself.

For those who I don't know (and others who just don't remember me) - in other words, everyone - let me give you a quick dragon rundown.

My oldest dragon is Fluffy. She will be 4 yrs old in August. A beautiful hypo red with the biggest jowls ever. My son has a dragon named Crystal who turned 3 in March. She is from Fairy Tail Dragons out of Orlando and her parents are Prada and Etro. She looks just like her mother. She also has attitude and a half.

When I was here before, we had a male named Figment. When he was around a year old we took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with pinworms and coccidia. The vet overdosed him with albon and panacur on an incredibly severe level. Because of the knowledge and kindness of the experts on this board, we got through the ordeal. Unfortunately, Figment needed special care from then on. He had serious digestive problems and was permanently on acidopholiz. Even so, he was susceptible to everything under the sun and I spent my life babying every bite of food he ever ate. He came down with a respiratory infection early this year and by the time we realized what was happening, there was nothing we could do. The entire family is heartbroken over his loss. Then...

I have a two story vivarium and Figment lived upstairs while Fluffy lived downstairs. After Figment died, I couldn't stand the dark vivarium. Every day when I cared for the girls, I would look at the dark empty viv and cry. I couldn't stand seeing it empty, so my son and I went on a hunt for someone to bring love back to his home. We brought Skellington home from the local pet store where he was graciously being fed 3-4 crickets every OTHER day. :angry5: He has a small tail nip and is very small for his age, but oddly never looked malnourished - just extremely gawky with really long limbs. We have had him for about 5 weeks now and he is around 5-6 months old. He weighed 26 grams when he came home, but is up to a plump 67 grams now and very happy. Small, but healthy. He's growing like a weed and just as happy as a clam in his new home. And we are thrilled to have someone to care for. He has already had his first fecal check and worm treatment. Many, many thanks to Tracy for her wonderful expertise. I will never trust a vet again.

Anyway... that was a long intro. Sorry to babble. I'm back. I look forward to meeting everyone and seeing all of the fabulous pictures. And for now I am off to investigate feeders. Since I no longer live in Florida, dubia roaches are legal. I'm here to determine if I have the stomach and spine to begin a colony. Wish me luck.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear about Figment. I know how hard it is to loose a dragon and I don't wish that on anyone. I'm glad you are able to give Skellington a good home though =) Sounds like his life is MUCH better now. I'd say go with a dubia colony. They're relatively easy to take care of and the bugs really aren't too bad. With my boys gone my colony has taken over as my primary pet and they're kind of fun to watch. Think of them as big potato bugs. It's definitely easier to have them around than stinky mean crickets!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Mindi, I saw your post on my site, welcome back! I've missed you. I remember what Filament went through with that awful vet and I'm so sorry to hear that he passed. And welcome Skellington, sounds like he's in heaven with you and is doing very well. He might just make up for his bad beginning (grrr to pet shops!) but if he doesn't he'll just be a small love bug. And you moved! Hope it all went well and that you're settling in ok.

I also love roaches. Even though they're illegal to buy in Canada I was lucky to find a member here who had a large colony she didn't want anymore & got the huge colony at a good price. I've since started 5 colonies for friends, still have mine in a 20 gallon glass tank with mesh top. I gave alot away to a friend who had a 5 mo old beardie who couldn't eat enough, so shorted myself, but she recently told me that her beardie stopped eating them, so got her colony back. I also keep another friend's 10 gallon tank here as she's severly allergic, so visit often and feed her 4 dragons.

So you saw that I lost Titan, Rubio, Lonzo and Didi last year and recently Puff. It's been very hard. When I lost Lonzo I contacted our local reptile society and brought Nathaniel home in Dec. Then I brought his brother (turned out to be his sister, so named her Cierra) home in Feb. So until I lost Puff, with Gabriel and Leo, I had a full house. Now I've contacted the same society to see if they still have Nathaniel's brother, but I don't think they have any dragons at the moment. I'm not in a rush, but like you, I hate to see an empty tank.

I'm so glad that Fluffy and Crystal are both doing well. Makes me smile as I remember how small Crystal was when you got her and to think she's now 3 years old. Just like Gabriel is now 4 years old and the picture of health. I've never had an issue with him since I got him healthy back in 2012 and I'm very grateful for that. He's my main man now. Mine you they're all snugglers, so I'm grateful for that, too, especially after losing Puff.

So take care, keep in touch! I just posted pics of them all, if you want to check them all out. Can't wait to see pics of your 3, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom