Heli update (potties, constapation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
So, went to the vet. Heli had two bugs. Pin worm eggs were spotted and high coccidia count. But not horrible. He told me neither would make him uncomfortable really, unless the coccidia got bad. He shows zero signs of either. But, he treated him anyway, becaues the idea of pinworms around humans and the idea of coddidia around other reptiles wasn't a good one.

Meanwhile, what we were really there for was his pooping, or there lack of, issue. Man, just like all you guys said, I am doing everything right down to the letter. He said what the breeder and a couple of you said, that most of his issue is he is now a subadult, his system changed drastically, and he NEEDS vegetation. He needs that fiber and fluid to move his system. But, alas, the problem is he wont eat. He is surprised however that daily soaks and baby food pushed on to him havent even made a minor difference. He showed me how to shoot a tiny syringe of water down his mouth each day to try to help.

He also told me to make him "move" more. Excercise. Well that's a big joke. He wont move to get a cricket. He waits until they crawl under him. He walks across the room to find a place to chill or sleep. Thats it. He wont move in the water. We put him down outside and he is a statue and gapes happy as a clam. Lol. The vet heard this and noticed that we had been there forever and he never saw him try to walk around. So he picked him up by his harness and let him dangle a minute. He was stunned because he didn't even so much as kick a leg. He had full trust and just dangled. He said, "Unbelievable". LOLOL. So yup. Good luck with the excercise. He told me to take him outside as much as possible a LOT. I already take him out but he said go for it. The sun can really give you energy and increase your appetite and affect behavior. Mkay. Will do. Dont get me wrong, my boy is not "lethargic" like something is wrong. He is content as heck, and stubborn and alert.

So, the battle continues. All I can get down him is 3/4-1 teaspoon of baby food. ::shrugging:: And thats hard to do as he doesnt' like it much (tried applesauce, greenbeans, and banana). I've tried frozen, cooked, cold, hot, fluffy, finely chopped veggies/fruit. I've tried watery soaked and I've tried semi dried out. I've tried hand feeding. I've tried dropping it in front of him like a bug. I've tried putting bugs in it! I've tried starving him up to three days .. which leads to my next question ... is that strong enough tough love or is that so mild is it useless? How long can he go without eating if I do take that route?

I am miserable really. I have this stunning animal, a darling personality, and he is SO much work because of the lacking of pooping and eating right.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How often does he actually have a b.m. ? As for tough love, you might want to let him go as long as a week, then just offer veggies every day. I've heard some people drizzle a little fruit juice on top of the greens.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for the suggestion. Will do!
He goes for about 8 days before i panic and massage him in the tub. Last time he went 7 and the vet examined him and said he wasnt backed up, etc. He said unless we really wanted it hedidnt recommend an xray as nothing was there. The next day i couldnt stand it. I helped him go amd low aand behold there wasnt a huge poop, in fact smaller than usual. However those white urates were hard as a rock as usual. Which is why he told me to syringe water into him until he gets better eating habits and im already doing everything else that can be done to hydrate him. Got some acidopholus yesterday. And soy yogurt. Figured hed need it after the pancur treatment. I dont know if that will also help or not. Cant hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom