Heisenberg the dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, my name is Robinlynne I am a new mom to a bd named Heisenberg (we are big fans of breaking bad, RIP Walter White) my husband has always wanted a reptile but, I didn't so I would ignore him whenever he would bring it up.I finally gave in and agreed to get one.we did some research and decided to get A bearded dragon. I did a lot of online research and thought I knew how to take care of him. So on sept. 26th we brought Heisenberg home.

after getting him I found out we were doing some things wrong (mainly the lighting) we will rectify these problems immediately. I'd like to describe his set up n care so if I am doing anything else wrong someone can let me know. even though I didn't want him now he has a big spot in my heart and, I want to give him the best care that I can. also as a proud new mom I want to brag about my baby boy. I have pictures but don't know how to post them yet.

He is housed in a 36x18x18 terrarium. For substrate I'm using reptile carpet. he has a cave to hide in, a large branch under a basking bulb and, two vines to climb on. the cool side is about 89, the warm side about 97 and the basking area is around 115. The humidity is between 20 - 27%

The lighting is the area I made some mistakes with but, I am going to rectify the problems later this week. the lights are all on timers in attempt to replicate dawn, morning, noon, dusk and, night. I have two 125 watt MVB mounted about 9-10" above the tank. On each side of the tank I have a 75 watt basking bulb and red nocturnal bulb. Both set is about 4" above the tank. Above the front of the tank is a hood that holds four compact fluorescent 13 watt bulbs. I am going to exchange the hood for two 24" repti sun 10.0 tubes. I will also replace the red nocturnal bulbs with ceramic heating bulbs. I will replace all bulbs in 6 months.

From this site I have learned that the UVB bulbs should be mounted inside the tank, not above the screen. Personally I don't want to do this , mainly for aesthetics. However I think that with the two MVB and two UVB tubes that more than enough UVB and UVA is penetrating through the screen.

We got him from petsmart on Sept. 26th. He is now 13" long and is 130g (4.5oz) so we guess he is around 4 months old.

He gets a 15-20 min. Soak in the sink every day. Some times he will swim around but usually he just sits there or tries to get out. He is basically potty trained and will poop in the sink. However, if bath time is late he will go in his cage.

Heisenberg loves to cuddle with me every night. I wrap him in his blankie and snuggle him im my arm for 2-3 hours while I watch tv. He will bury his nose in his blankie and falls into a deep sleep. he sleeps so soundly that I can get up with him in my arms to get a drink or snack and he doesn't wake up. I put him back in his cage still swaddled in his blankie and he will sleep like that all night.

I didn't want him but now we have bonded and he has become part of our family. We don't have kids so, our pets are our children. He has 6 siblings; a dog, 2 cats and, 3 goldfish. All are very pampered and spoiled. When Heisenberg runs away from my husband and comes to me I tease my husband and say "Not the mama!". It's a line a baby dinosaur would say in a cartoon from the eighties.

As far as feeding goes he gets about 10-15 crickets a day that I dust with a calcium d3 powder. He mostly eats worms, about 7 a day that I spray with a multi vitamin. I breed my own silkworms, he also eats hornworms amd butterworms. I do not give him mealworms because they have an exoskeleton. I was giving him a freeze dried mix of mealworms crickets and grasshoppers about once a week that he would devour in no time at all. But the last time I gave it to him he didn't poop for 4 days, he usually poops once a day. I started to give him canned pumpkin and he finally had a bowel movement. I don't give him that mix anymore.

I now give him canned pumpkin every morning. He LOVES it, when he sees the container I keep it in he runs over to get it. I feed it to him on a spoon because if I put it in a bowl he makes a huge mess. He trusts me so much that he lets me wipe his face with a napkin. He also gets a salad every day that he picks at and, fruit occasionally. He loves banana but I know to only give it to him now and then. I also give him a moist food that is made by nature zone called baby bites.

Sorry this is so long and, I hope I haven't put too many people to sleep. I'm excited to meet many of you and I have enjoyed reading posts other people have posted. I look forward to read replies to my post.I'm happy to have found a place to talk about my new favorite subject; my sweet baby boy Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'd like to get the 65Gallon one but would settle for the 38 like you have. Reptarium is the brand name it is made by apogee. I'm really thinking that they don't make them anymore, every site I go to says they are out of stock. I'll wait a week or two to see if anyone has them in stock. I'm going to a reptile expo the end of March so I should wait till then to get one but I'm impulsive so probably will order the zoo med repti'breeze before then. I can get one for the$99 and free s&h that's a good price for it, retail is made$187

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I found it, I found it! I found a 100gallon reptarium in chris's squirrel something. Now I just have to hope they will have it next week. It's $73 so that's better than the zoo med repti-breeze and bigger too.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yeah, Heisenberg is going to have a great summer home, fingers crossed that it stays in stock for you! He's not spoiled at all! With the size of it you can easily put it in sun with shade so he'll have the best of both worlds. Heisenberg, you're going to enjoy your visit! And a snuggly, too? Good stuff!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Heisenberg":xth84kcq said:
I did however find a woman in the for sale thread who makes snuggies. I sent in a custom order for a bigger one and with snaps. I don't know how 'pop' aka Jim's dad will feel about Heisenberg sleeping with us in the bed. But if I show him that you can close it so he cant get out he might let him sleep in the bed. I'm just waiting to hear back from her. If she says that she can make it I might ask her to make him a blankie too. Nope Heisenberg isn't at all spoiled 8)

What's the link to these? I can't picture it.

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yay I just spoke to Pop he said if Heisenberg was in a snuggie thing that can be closed with snaps then it ok for him to sleep in the bed. He thinks its very strange but he dosnt mind. I hope that lady can make one because I kinda said I already have it.keep your fingers crossed for me.

Jim called and I told him about the reptarium and snuggie. I was expecting an argument but he just said ok.... 8) I also told Pop that we would be there 4 or 5 nights, when I tell Jim about that he will kill me, he says 3 nights is his limit. I want to go, and both Jack and Heisenberg want to go so he is out voted.it's almost a year since mom died and pop gets lonely. He lives about 5 hours away so it's not that easy to just go for a night here and there. We can only do it because Jim has a lot
Of time off in April.

The last few times I've talked to Pop he has said he would like to have a pet. That he thought a cat would be nice so I'm going to talk to Jim about it but maybe it would be nice to show up with a kitten.

Oh I almost forgot my husband is gone for a week, I don't have to cook, I don't have to clean yay me!!!!!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Echo echo echo....... Haha

Of if you can't get the snuggie in time, maybe get a lingerie laundry bag that zips. Wrap him in his favorite blankie, put him in and zip him up! It's mesh so he won't suffocate. And if he's wrapped up and sleeping, he shouldn't get a claw or toe stuck.

I might try my hand at making Zilla something similar. Not soon, but if I see he would use one, I will. I have tons of fabric around, mostly fleece, so maybe I'll make him a little something. I can see it coming in handy when we take him places. If he likes it that is.

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes that's a great idea if I don't have the snuggie by then, but hopefully it will come by then. I think I will have her make a matching blankie too. You don't know how happy I was to find the reptarium :p :p hopefully you can make something nice then I'll pay you to make him another blankie :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom