Heat keeping Hammock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
I am going to make my own hammock for my little Kovu and right now he has this sock in he cage with rice in it...the heat lamp heats the sock up and he loves that sock soooo much because it is comfortably keeping the heat in the rice and it makes a good bed at night... so when i make my hammock i was thinking of making little pouches with rice in them to sew into the hammock so that it would heat his hammock...

the way i would do this is make little square pockets and fill them with rice so that it was still comforting flat but packed with rice.. then i would sew the pocket up and do this numerous times until i had the right about to fit the insides of the hammock...then i would take my fleece sheets and cut the size of hammock i need and sew the pockets the bottom sheet and then when they all fit and were even i would sew the other sheet onto the bottom sheet and then go back over the trim with another fabric to frame it all... then i would make my loops or insert grommets for fitting the hooks... do you think my rice idea will work?

morphmom

BD.org Addict
It's a very cool concept. It sounds like a lot of work (worth it ofcourse :wink: ) so my only concern would be that you wouldn't be able to wash it without the rice turning to mush. I've noticed BD's love to mess on the warm side. I may steal your sock idea though, that's cheap to replace :D

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HAHAHA i wasn't even thinking of the washing part... maybe ill just make the rice pockets into an insertable quit and put a zipper on the hammock so i can take the rice pockets out... think it will work?

and thats fine! i actually got the sock idea from this guy that said that when his beardie gets to feeling cold when outside of his enclosure he just heats up a sock with rice for him to lay on and i took it from him kinda and every time he gets out of the bath i usually warm up his sock so he can sit on it or sometimes he just likes to fall asleep in a folded up washcloth... haha it gives u an image of how small my little guy is still ^~^

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I think that'll work just fine. My babes first "bed" was a (clean) work sock! :lol: I was just learning and wanted to see if she would like something warm and soft. Sure enough, she snuggled right in. :wink: Bet she would have killed for rice though :lol:

Oniko

Another person here that is going to steal the rice idea!

I have memory foam beds that I made for them, but as we all know, they need something that has heat to warm them up. All these beds do is trap the heat in their body for a little while longer than just a blanket (which is what I was using before). I'd love a warm rice insert to put between their 'bed sheet' and the bed itself.

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Soooo im wondering if i should just make it so my hammock has a zipper to access the middle and then just pour rice into the middle and even it out and dump out the rice b4 washing it... that way i can change the rice if it even becomes soiled for some reason... my only consern here is that it might all just sit in the middle of the hammock making it uneven and uncomfortable... :/ i dont know but i was thinking that if i ever had to change the rice that it would be quite a project to make all those pockets again... :? What do you think?

ps. i will post my process of making this when i finally start on it!

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hahaha i feel like this is a million dollar idea i got going! maybe ill have to see how it works out and get these in stores!!! lol prolly to high of expectations but its still a good idea! :)

Lenewen

Juvie Member
With the amount of crap they sell in the petstore, your idea would totally sell! Make some prototypes and try to sell them :)

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think it could sell too!! and i know this shop that is just starting out still and they are taking some salamanders from me and eventually when i am overloaded with Dubia then i will be selling to them those as well... I think if i can make a few bring them to them... that they will be interested... They are pretty cool its a place called Crazy Critters and it has sugar gliders and hedgehogs and snakes and turtles and scorpions and bearded dragons and guinea pigs and birds, and leopard geckos, and rats, and just a lot of animals most common places dont sell... so i think it could be a start!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I wanted to add to this. Myah has a hot water bottle for car rides and doesn't like it very well. Myah has a "person type" heating pad for the back of the couch and will only lay on it on occasion. I put rice in a old work sock (clean ofcourse :wink: ) heated it up, and placed it in the window sill so she could look out without getting too cold. She hopped right on and has been looking out the window happily :D

Lenewen

Juvie Member
morphmom":1tjixyr9 said:
I wanted to add to this. Myah has a hot water bottle for car rides and doesn't like it very well. Myah has a "person type" heating pad for the back of the couch and will only lay on it on occasion. I put rice in a old work sock (clean ofcourse :wink: ) heated it up, and placed it in the window sill so she could look out without getting too cold. She hopped right on and has been looking out the window happily :D

I am going to have to try the rice sock for car trips. Ella doesn't like the heating pads either, maybe she will like the rice!!

Off topic, morphmom-your leo Mylo is GORGEOUS! I used to have an enigma (Mylo looks like one?) but she passed away last year.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Lenewen":1lolemaa said:
Off topic, morphmom-your leo Mylo is GORGEOUS! I used to have an enigma (Mylo looks like one?) but she passed away last year.
Thank you very much. :D And please feel free to call me Holly (It's shorter to write! :lol: ) You've been PM'd. And I'm very sorry for your loss.

How about filling them with flax seed instead of rice? I've heard it retains heat longer and can be reheated over and over without losing heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom