Healing and Recovering (From calcium indeficiency)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hydra was have leg tremors due to calcium insufficiency. He is still refusing to eat but is getting better due to what I think I've been doing. When I got home I gave him all his meds then made caclium water, giving him the calcium that built up at the bottom. He still wasn't eating this morning, and this is what I need advice on. I made a juvenile puree, made from a little bit of lettuce, mealworms and superworms, and a tablespoon of calcium, and a little bit of juvenile pellets to add crude protein. I was thinking of getting a hornworm and slicing it open, then putting a syringe in it and sucking out it's insides to give him a treat and calcium. He drank a bit of the puree but not a lot. Do I continue this or am I giving him too much calcium?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I might be wrong , but excess calcium will be excreted in his urates , they will have calcium salts in them and I think these are orange , as I think the conversion of calcium to VitD is self limiting.
Keep an eye out hypercalcemia
see http://www.healthline.com/health/hypercalcemia#overview1

I tried drawing the insides out of crickets and mealworms using needle and syringe - incredibly hard to do - for Lucky, struck out so I simply pressed their insides out a bit at time and he ate the slops off the end of the bug.

Making a mash or puree of the insects might be easier.
A good alternative (one I didn't know about when I was rehabilitating Lucky) is Repashi GrubPie https://www.store.repashy.com/grub-pie-reptile-6-oz-170g-jar.html (I think I might have given you a link about this stuff) is made from BSF maggots (dehydrated and turned into a fine powder) that can be made into a syringeable slurry or paste which can have something like CalciVet mixed in with it.
I know a guy who lives in New Zealand who couldn't access live insects at an affordable price ( $NZ per cricket he told us !!!) and he raised his beardie using GrubPie as it's insect protein source.

Lettuce has virtually zero nutrition in it, better off using something like buck choi, puk choi, any green rich in calcium.

SweetSpicyDragon

Original Poster
I tried getting the insides out of a superworm but ended up giving up on that due to it being almost pointless, only got a little bit out.

I've read about Repashy before, but I can't seem to find the BugPie anywhere around here, or even seen Repashy at neither Petsmart or the other pet place (I forgot the name of it since it's farther away than Petsmart) He's been drinking the puree fine and he's stopped the leg twitches as well, so I hope he's better.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SweetSpicyDragon":r2lgiwee said:
I tried getting the insides out of a superworm but ended up giving up on that due to it being almost pointless, only got a little bit out.

I've read about Repashy before, but I can't seem to find the BugPie anywhere around here, or even seen Repashy at neither Petsmart or the other pet place (I forgot the name of it since it's farther away than Petsmart) He's been drinking the puree fine and he's stopped the leg twitches as well, so I hope he's better.
https://www.store.repashy.com/grub-pie-reptile-6-oz-170g-jar.html
Google is good for finding suppliers , I'm sure you can order it by mail order (even overnight express post if it's urgent).
Repashi site will help find a seller https://www.store.repashy.com/international-sales/ . Or maybe try Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom