Head shaking and dragging beard?

IAmAMirage

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirage
Hey guys,

I've noticed a new behavior with Mirage. When I feed him from the tongs (feeders or greens) he will shake his head and drag his beard on his rock. He normally likes to eat while he's sitting in his basking spot, and it wasn't a problem. I'm not sure whats going on. Is this just first time owner jitters or something to be worried about?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hey guys,

I've noticed a new behavior with Mirage. When I feed him from the tongs (feeders or greens) he will shake his head and drag his beard on his rock. He normally likes to eat while he's sitting in his basking spot, and it wasn't a problem. I'm not sure whats going on. Is this just first time owner jitters or something to be worried about?
Some times they swallow the bugs without fully killing them and the bugs wriggle. They shake their heads for that once in a while. I'm not sure about the beard dragging though.

IAmAMirage

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirage
Some times they swallow the bugs without fully killing them and the bugs wriggle. They shake their heads for that once in a while. I'm not sure about the beard dragging though.
Alright, thank you. Do you think it's something to be worried about? I'm nervous that he might be hurt. My sister had been holding him and she jumped out of his hands and fell. The behaviour didn't start till then...

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I was thinking of maybe shedding? They rub their body on things when they start to shed.

Bearded dragons can be hurt by falling/ stumbling when jumping, but being hurt on the head while doing so is very unlikely. Hurting their feet/legs would be much more likely.
Black beard? Stress marks that aren't going away?

IAmAMirage

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirage
I was thinking of maybe shedding? They rub their body on things when they start to shed.

Bearded dragons can be hurt by falling/ stumbling when jumping, but being hurt on the head while doing so is very unlikely. Hurting their feet/legs would be much more likely.
He's not shedding. He just finished a shed a few weeks ago. Glad to know injury from falling is unlikely. He hasn't had a black beard or any stress marks. He seems happy and content. It only happens after I feed him.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra

I agrre if he were injured he would likely have a bkack beard. If you can post a video so we can see that might help also. It's easiest to put it on youtube and post the link here

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom