Head shakiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MissCutiePatootie":1bf4ug5o said:
I believe it's liquid calcium glubionate. Does that make any difference?

Even more prone to oxidation once it has contact with oxygen in the air , see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_glubionate

Also if it goes rancid, would that make it smell? I've tried smelling it and there's no smell.

I can see the calcium separate from whatever solution is in it but that's probably normal for liquid forms I'd imagine? It's the only liquid calcium I've ever used before.

*Almost forgot to mention that it has always been refrigerated.

The chelates are :
Calcium Gluconate
calcium_gluconate.png

Calcium Glubionate
calcium_glubionate.png

How are these made ? brief summary here (this is a 3rd year university subject ). Included for thoroughness). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation

Chelated calcium is calcium bound to an organic acid, such as citrate, malate, lactate, or gluconate, glubiuonate; or to an amino acid, such as aspartate. Research indicates that calcium chelates, are more bioavailable than calcium carbonate.

Why not just dissolve calcium carbonate dust in water and give as a solution ? essentially , the can't dissolve very much calcium per litre so this is not a very effective way of getting calcium into your dragon. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236517&p=1817861#p1817861

Unfortunately the chelating compounds used oxidize on contact with oxygen in the air, hence the shelf life, beyond which the chelates have started to become rancid. Refrigeration will extend this because it will slow the oxidation reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom