He won’t hunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Hello, I have two beardies, and one of them, my male, won’t eat.. Today I fed him, he only had one cricket. I’m really worried about him...

Here’s what I use in his cage, etc...

UVB: I HONESTLY have no idea what ‘uvb’ is on him right now, my mom got a florescent bulb that we used for the laundry room, I don’t even know what it is. My mom said we would get reptisun 10.0’s ‘next week’ but that was a month ago... I take him outside whenever it’s sunny for UVB, (can they still get UVB in days where it’s foggy, or only slightly cloudy, I just assumed it was only on sunny days.)

BASKING LAMP: It’s a 60 watt household bulb, I don’t know what the temps are because I almost never go to petsmart anymore, so I can’t pick up a thermometer and probe.

FOOD: I give crickets and collard greens and turnip greens, I give him as many crickets as he will eat in a 10-15 minute period. He usually only eats like 3 out of however many I put in the cage. I try to vary it a bit, but my mom won’t order phoenix worms from the phoenix worm company because she said there were way less than 150, and honestly I have to agree with her... But I’d still order from there again, because it’s really the only site I trust with that stuff... I want to get silk worms too, but my local petstore (what a surprise :roll: ) doesn’t sell them. They only sell supers and waxies, and mealies, which I won’t feed mealies, he’s too small for supers, and waxies are only treats. Sooo... Also, he eats his greens better than his live food... I’m confused by that.

TANK: 20g, I know it’s not possible to have a cool side and a hot side in this small, but I’m saving up my money again to get another 40g.

ANOTHER THING: His tail, it’s really...limp? When I touch it, it swings back and forth, my other beardie’s tail just stays in place as if it was stronger... Could this because he’s a baby, and my older one is a juvie?

I want to get him eating again, and I’m worried about parasites or another disease.

Any suggestions?

nursejones813

Juvie Member
Babies are really sensitive to proper lighting and temps. You may want to get that straightened out first. It's hard to know if they are able to digest properly if you don't know if the temps are high enough, or if they're becoming easily dehydrated if the temps are too high. Both these things can make them not want to eat. And a random UVB bulb could make them sick also. Maybe try to work out these issues 1st and see how he does. :D Good luck! Oh, and its good that you take him outside! :wink:

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Hoopy! Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! I had no idea, I've read a lot of your thread and saw the link to this. I feel so bad :( Yes, you most certainly MUST get the husbandry correct for your babies. nursejones is 100% spot on there. You need to be positive the temps are correct and the UVB is correct, these play such a HUGE role in not only their behavior but ABSOLUTELY their appetite.

Are you keeping him well hydrated? Try some extra soaks...and do your very best to figure out the lighting. I'm not ruling out parasites as you can't without a fecal but in all honesty, you'd have to start with appropriate temps, UVB, and hydration.

I hope things turn around for you. Please keep us updated!

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
nursejones813":1y4togy3 said:
Babies are really sensitive to proper lighting and temps. You may want to get that straightened out first. It's hard to know if they are able to digest properly if you don't know if the temps are high enough, or if they're becoming easily dehydrated if the temps are too high. Both these things can make them not want to eat. And a random UVB bulb could make them sick also. Maybe try to work out these issues 1st and see how he does. :D Good luck! Oh, and its good that you take him outside! :wink:
Thank you! I asked my mom last night when we would be getting new reptisuns and she said soon, so I'm gonna see if we can go to petsmart and AT LEAST get a thermometer. And about going outside, can I put him in like a tall tote with no top so I don't have to hold him? (I love holding him, it's just that he jumped out of my hand before and almost got out of my room...I don't want to risk that outside.) and should I just turn his UVB off and take him outside alot or would that make it worse?

KristineM":1y4togy3 said:
Hi Hoopy! Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! I had no idea, I've read a lot of your thread and saw the link to this. I feel so bad :( Yes, you most certainly MUST get the husbandry correct for your babies. nursejones is 100% spot on there. You need to be positive the temps are correct and the UVB is correct, these play such a HUGE role in not only their behavior but ABSOLUTELY their appetite.

Are you keeping him well hydrated? Try some extra soaks...and do your very best to figure out the lighting. I'm not ruling out parasites as you can't without a fecal but in all honesty, you'd have to start with appropriate temps, UVB, and hydration.

I hope things turn around for you. Please keep us updated!
Thanks! I will give him a soak today. I just have to clean his little bathtub I use.
Do you know of a good solution for cleaning out his little bathtub? I want to use it for Fred too, (instead of her old bathtub, which was a small plastic container which she is quickly outgrowing) so if there's something that will clean it out really well, I won't need to worry about her catching anything from Oliver.

I already knew bad husbandry would play a part, and I feel so bad that it has been this way...

He did eat a few more crickets, but not a lot. I'm really worried about him. :(

-Sorry if any of this sounds weird, I'm rushing right now to type this, plus I'm on an iPad and its always hard...)

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
hoopyscoop":2egcumf9 said:
my mom got a florescent bulb that we used for the laundry room

Any "normal" florescent bulb is NOT a UVB bulb. UVA yes, UVB (the kind they need to use calcium and prevent MBD) no.

UVB is only put out by special UVB bulbs. And don't try saving money by getting a "grow" light for plants either, it may be putting out UVB, but it's the wrong wavelength of UVB. You NEED a proper UVB bulb for him or he's going to suffer for it.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Soulwind":3441005j said:
hoopyscoop":3441005j said:
my mom got a florescent bulb that we used for the laundry room

Any "normal" florescent bulb is NOT a UVB bulb. UVA yes, UVB (the kind they need to use calcium and prevent MBD) no.

UVB is only put out by special UVB bulbs. And don't try saving money by getting a "grow" light for plants either, it may be putting out UVB, but it's the wrong wavelength of UVB. You NEED a proper UVB bulb for him or he's going to suffer for it.
Yes, I know that the normal fluorescent bulbs aren't UVB.

And I won't try to save money, (I dont do that. :wink: ) he is getting a Reptisun 10.0. I don't care how expensive the Reptisun might be, he is getting one.

I'm going to try to tell my mom about MBD,(she knows about it, but I don't think she understands that Oliver could get it. And possibly Fred because (I haven't done the math yet) her UVB is close to 6mos.) and why we need new Reptisuns NOW.

EDIT: just did the math... We got Fred's Reptisun in February... It reached 6mos in August. :shock: I'm really mad at myself because I didnt ask for new reptisuns earlier... :angry5:

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes! I just found out that on petmountain.com the reptisun 10.0 tubes are 16$ to 23$!!!!!! Compared to my petsmart where they are 50$+ :roll:

I might be able to order 2 new reptisuns today then if their 16$ to 23$!'

Though there is a problem with ordering, I don't know when it will come. :(

I have to ask my mom if we can get them today because they are that price...

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
That's where we get all our UVBs too. Can't beat the prices. Good luck!!

You can wash the tubs with a water/vinegar solution. I think it's 3 parts water to one part vinegar. Then rinse until you can't smell it. I believe the same goes for bleach...though I made a huge amount in a container a while ago so I don't remember the exact solution in parts right now.

You'll be ok and your babies will, too. Keep your head up. You know what needs to be fixed...once you can correct the problems at hand you can move forward to the next. We're all here to help, support, and guide you if needed.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KristineM":2zrjp0hc said:
That's where we get all our UVBs too. Can't beat the prices. Good luck!!

You can wash the tubs with a water/vinegar solution. I think it's 3 parts water to one part vinegar. Then rinse until you can't smell it. I believe the same goes for bleach...though I made a huge amount in a container a while ago so I don't remember the exact solution in parts right now.
Okay, thanks. And this may sound strange...but what are parts measured by? (No, I'm not good at that stuff. :lol: )

You'll be ok and your babies will, too. Keep your head up. You know what needs to be fixed...once you can correct the problems at hand you can move forward to the next. We're all here to help, support, and guide you if needed.
Those words were just what I needed. :) Thank you, all of you. From the very bottom of my heart.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
None of us would be here if we "knew it all" so you can rest assured you are in good hands ;) We all learn from each other and just try to pass what we learn on to the next :)

Ummm....say you have 4 cups...3 parts water to 1 part vinegar/bleach (I'd go with vinegar as it's not toxic) - you would take 3 of those cups and fill with water and only 1 of those cups filled with the vinegar, mix em up!

It's ok, you don't need to be good at math...you're being good to your babies by taking care of the problems as quickly as possible.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KristineM":3k9qa8sl said:
None of us would be here if we "knew it all" so you can rest assured you are in good hands ;) We all learn from each other and just try to pass what we learn on to the next :)

Ummm....say you have 4 cups...3 parts water to 1 part vinegar/bleach (I'd go with vinegar as it's not toxic) - you would take 3 of those cups and fill with water and only 1 of those cups filled with the vinegar, mix em up!

It's ok, you don't need to be good at math...you're being good to your babies by taking care of the problems as quickly as possible.
Aha, thanks!! I ended up going to my aunts house because she is moving far away tomorrow... But right as I get home I'll wash out the tub and bath him. :)

I fed Oliver again and he ate 3 crickets... 3 is better than nothing. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom