He gets so scared and I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
I have a medium sized juvenile, and he gets so scared when I hold him or even just take him out of the tank. He puffs out his beard, which turns black ofc, and flattens out. He hasn't bitten me yet though. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or how to make him not so scared. I just don't want him to start thinking I'm something to be scared of. I feel really bad for scaring the little guy and I'm kind of at a loss of how to make it better.
Does anyone have any tips or ideas or suggestions?
Thanks!

Onlymediocre

Juvie Member
Are u reaching in to get him from overhead? That would make him sense danger like a predator. U should always let them see ur hand and pick them up from the front, sliding ur hand from under their head to belly... U could also try putting a shirt that uve worn (so it smells like u) in his viv, so hell get used to ur smell and associate ur smell with home. What ever u do tho, dont give up, even if he puffs up and even if he does bite u (doesnt hurt much anyway) just try not to jerk back and pick him up regardless... good luck!

justvoldeyandme

Original Poster
I've only had him since late November/early December, so I know that it's probably just him adjusting, but I don't want him to start associating me with something bad. Plus I just feel so guilty for scaring the little guy and wanted to know if I could make him feel better.

Ranchero

Hatchling Member
I have had mine since December 1st and he freaks out even if I slowly go under his chin. Once I get him in my hand he calms down.

justvoldeyandme

Original Poster
When I hold him he squirmed so hard to get away. And today I was letting him run around the room to stretch his legs and everytime I came near him he bolted in the other direction. Even when I sat on the ground and slowly scooted over to him. :/

Ranchero

Hatchling Member
Mine would try and jump out of my hands so I would cup my other hand over him and sit on the floor just in case he decided to do a super man. I usually pet him while he is still in his cage but I havent let him run around yet Im like you I am scarred I will freak him out :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom