He Doesnt Do Anything Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
My dragon, Puff, for the past few weeks doesnt get up, bask, eat his salads (he still eats worms) or poop on his own.
He will stay wrapped up in his towel all day, I have to take him out or he will just stay in there literally all day, and even when I do pull him out of his towel he doesn't bask anymore... he either goes into his hide and sleeps or sits up on his log in the same place without moving for sometimes over 24 hours.
He just usually lays there flat on the bottom of his tank with his eyes closed or cracked... when I come near he opens them and looks at me.
He hasn't eaten his vegetables in about 2 1/2 weeks, but if I put worms in his tank, when he sees them he perks up rusn to the bowl and eats them all.
He doesn't poop normally anymore either, he used to poop everyday in the afternoon, but now he wont do it in his tank. Everytime I give him a bath he will poop, he went 3 days until I gave him a bath.
When I take him out and put him on the floor he runs around for a few minutes but then goes into the corner and sleeps.
Im really not too worried about him sleeping more because he is 11 years old, but considering his age I am worried he could be getting sick... but I think he might be brumating (I have already read the article), I guess the good thing is that he does still eat worms and poops when in the bath.
He went to the vet about 2 months ago and she said he looked great but needed to gain some weight which he has since then. He did have worms but has already been treated for that.

Some info about his set up:
basking temp is 103-106
cool side is 85 (a little high I know, Ive been trying to get my bf to fix it)
Using a megaray mvb bulb he gets within 16 in
no heat pad
He is on non adhesive shelf liner
temps taken with a digital probe thermometer
he gets worms dusted with repcal w/o d3 2x a week ~ 30-50 worms a week (5-10 a day)
he is offered a salad of squash, collard greens, bell pepper, carrots, raisins, apple (mainly squash and greens)everyday in the morning
he gets a bath every few days
he is 10-11 years old
I have had him since the beginning of July
he is 16 inches long
At the beginning of August he weighed 13 oz = 368 g (according to the vet)
I weighed him about a month ago and he weighed some where around 420 grams, cant remember exactly
he gets a bath every few days

Any suggestions?

LJean

Extreme Poster
I hate this time of year. When my dragon starts brumating it drives me nuts. I hope that is all it is for you.

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
It really sounds like brumation to me too.

Is he still on medication for the worms? Have you brought another fecal to the vet to have it retested to be sure its gone?

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No he finished his medicine along time ago... And I never took another fecal to the vet... the reason I took him in the first time is because I actually saw the worms crawling around in his poop... but nothing like that has happened since his first round of antibiotics, he had three rounds 2 weeks apart.

Im just not sure if it really is brumation... I know they can all brumate differently
Because he's awake most of the time he just looks groggy... and sits there with his eyes half closed, sometimes he goes into the hide and sleeps sometimes he just sits there in the same place for hours, he has stayed in the same exact place for over 24 hours

And I have noticed... when he is actually asleep he sleeps much more deeply, before when I would turn on the lights in the living room he would poke his head up and blackbeard... now he just sleeps through any distrubance.

I would say I started to notice him sleeping more about a month ago... but he has definately changed within 2 weeks, no salad, no poop, no basking at all.

I guess I should see how much it costs for a fecal (I dont have much money I am a college student and only work parttime) If its not too much I will get it done just to be sure.
I am also a little concerned... I just read about the mulberry farms silkworm problem... I ordered 100 baby silkworms from them about 3 weeks ago and Puff just finished all of them last week. :?

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
new1136.jpg

This was Puff when I got home on Sat. I got him out and fed him 7 superworms.... he ate them all..... but this is how he usually looks.... just laying there on the ground with his head up and eyes open! He is on the cool side in this pic
We got his cool side temp down to 80.... but I don't really think that the temp was a problem.

new1007.jpg

This is his whole set up about a month ago... Where he is basking in this picture now has two rocks and his hide is now on the cool side under the branch and red hammock!

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
you really need to get a fecal done - a bad infestation can take several attempts to clear and if they were actually crawling out o him it was pretty bad

Camel413

Hatchling Member
This sound just like my male dragon. No eating salad but will eat worms. Not much basking, mostly hiding and sleeping. He did the same thing last year and i was extremely worried but found out it was just his way of brumating. He is already doing it this year, he seems to go in pretty early about the end of september.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom