He develops stress marks while I'm looking in his tank :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
I've had my 2 year old male for almost two weeks and I want to hold him all the time, but not until he's had his bath. I don't think he'd ever had a bath at his first home and he really seems to hate his baths!
But now it seems like I moved too quickly and I'm putting too much pressure on him.
I know he doesn't hate me, though. The last time he was out, he eventually climbed onto my leg while I was sitting and bobbed his head a few times. Then he stretched out his legs and fell asleep. It was so adorable!
What do I do? Will giving him his space for a while help him to relax? Will it alienate us even more? I just want him to be happy, but he constantly has faint stress marks when he's out of his tank, unless he's basking in front of a window in the morning, which only happens on the weekends.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Moving into a new home is a very stressful event for beardies, especially if he receives attention where he didn't have any before.

The stress marks will eventually go away as he gets used to his surroundings and people. Constant interactions will help with that, so keep going to his tank and talking to him. As for having him out, you may want to do that every other day for now, until he gets used to the routine.
Just like training dogs and cats, repetition is key.

Oh, don't feel bad about him hating baths. Some seem to be born to love the water while others would act like they're being dropped into a vat of acid. You can try holding him in your hand while gently dribble water onto his back. This may help him feel safer.

battlenation

Hatchling Member
Goonie" Some seem to be born to love the water while others would act like they're being dropped into a vat of acid. You can try holding him in your hand while gently dribble water onto his back. This may help him feel safer.[/quote said:
I don't like the sound of that acid thing. Hopefully it's used for the right thing not pets. I don't even know

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
battlenation":6dgovs4l said:
I don't like the sound of that acid thing. Hopefully it's used for the right thing not pets. I don't even know
It was used to simply state how some beardies view their baths. Of course, no one in their right mind would actually drop their pets into a vat of acid.

battlenation

Hatchling Member
Goonie":2srqwn18 said:
battlenation":2srqwn18 said:
It was used to simply state how some beardies view their baths. Of course, no one in their right mind would actually drop their pets into a vat of acid.
I would hope so but in this world gets you wondering about most people.

Can someone please explain stress marks to me? Or even better post a picture of what stress marks look like? I keep hearing about them but don't know what they look like or anything... Thanks Donna

battlenation

Hatchling Member
krzylilwoman":3d4liry6 said:
Can someone please explain stress marks to me? Or even better post a picture of what stress marks look like? I keep hearing about them but don't know what they look like or anything... Thanks Donna
Stress marks are located on the belly and up to the under mouth area. They are a black spots on the belly somewhat noticeable and sometimes very noticeable. Usually a very darking of the belly pattern. Hope this helps I don't have a photo on hand sorry. I google it for you look at the images look up bearded dragon stress marks.

Brieana

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Goonie":abrxc5vk said:
Moving into a new home is a very stressful event for beardies, especially if he receives attention where he didn't have any before.

The stress marks will eventually go away as he gets used to his surroundings and people. Constant interactions will help with that, so keep going to his tank and talking to him. As for having him out, you may want to do that every other day for now, until he gets used to the routine.
Just like training dogs and cats, repetition is key.

Oh, don't feel bad about him hating baths. Some seem to be born to love the water while others would act like they're being dropped into a vat of acid. You can try holding him in your hand while gently dribble water onto his back. This may help him feel safer.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm trying to take it slow and keep him happy. He got to run around the living room today for a few hours. He would lie in a patch of sun for a while, then run around, then go back to the sun to recharge.
I did so much research before getting him, but I still have the the new mommy anxiety.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
I've had my Dragon for 2 months now and sometimes when I look into the viv for an extended peroid fo time it makes it's self as big as it can and looks at me as if to say what the F are you looking at? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom